Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

His name is Brendan O'Neill and he is the editor of https://www.spiked-online.com/

Thanks applehunter. Not really sure where Alan came from! I can't seem to edit my post to correct his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

The recent chats on Facebook and the internet would have been hugely interesting 10-20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

What’s the story with Eamon taking an extended break from this? He’s been on Matt Cooper this evening giving his thoughts on the latest FAI fiasco, so he’s not on holidays - or is he?

This FAI thing would be prime meat for Eamon to get his teeth into but he sounded surprisingly in John Delaney’s corner on Matt Cooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭cmac2009

JoeA3 wrote: »
    What’s the story with Eamon taking an extended break from this? He’s been on Matt Cooper this evening giving his thoughts on the latest FAI fiasco, so he’s not on holidays - or is he?

This FAI thing would be prime meat for Eamon to get his teeth into but he sounded surprisingly in John Delaney’s corner on Matt Cooper.

Someone mentioned he was also on RTE Radio 1 yesterday and was very much dismissing this as non-story. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's weird. He's been coming out to bat for team Delaney in a few media appearances now. What's the story with that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Arghus wrote: »
    It's weird. He's been coming out to bat for team Delaney in a few media appearances now. What's the story with that?

He does appear to have allowed himself become a buddy of Delaney.

I remember years ago, Dunphy on Prime Time with John Delaney, discussing problems within the FAI. Dunphy called Delaney "one of the good guys".

But Dunphy is not one that's shy about changing sides, so likewise, surprised to see him so passive on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I heard he was on the paper this morning saying delaney needs to go.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Wouldn't put it past Dunphy to change his mind between breakfast and lunch and back again by dinner.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

This is true. He's completely changed his mind now and admitted that he didn't know all the facts!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

No football show this week.Would've been interesting to hear the guests take on the 2 international games.

It would've also been interesting to hear Mick dig into the Delaney story and to hear Giles' take on it. Giles is a mate of Delaney as is Dunphy.

The episode is almost suspicious by its absence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

A gob****e of the highest order. He'll probably change his mind again tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

humberklog wrote: »
    No football show this week.Would've been interesting to hear the guests take on the 2 international games.

It would've also been interesting to hear Mick dig into the Delaney story and to hear Giles' take on it. Giles is a mate of Delaney as is Dunphy.

The episode is almost suspicious by its absence.

Yeah it's disappointing. The show has been really good and thought he was past the backslapping of his mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Has Dunphy left the stand ? Seems like something is going on.......

Wouldn't be the first time he's walked suddenly / prematurely from a job.

I agree, the continued absence is very odd, particularly in light of recent FAI developments which is a story I would expect Dunphy to be getting his boot into.

As I mentioned in a previous post above, he was on with Matt Cooper on Monday night and he was very subdued on the FAI thing, almost saying it was a non issue... and Matt was referring to him as "Eamon Dunphy from the Stand"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I'd imagine he's just taking it easy after only coming out of hospital. Big difference between hopping on Matt Cooper for a few mins compared to going back to doing a number of podcasts a week and the prep that comes with them.

why was he hospital ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

why was he hospital ?

He hasn't said. Just said on the Ray Darcy show a few weeks back that he'd be off the podcast for a few weeks as he's getting an operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

why was he hospital ?

I heard he was undergoing a minor procedure to remove a foreign object from one or both shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Cienciano wrote: »

Dunphy simply wanted to take a cheap shot at Sadlier. Using the 'real football' people argument is nonsense when Niall Quinn, Brian Kerr, Kevin Kilbane and a fair few other real football men have come out as critical of the FAI.

Dunphy is wrong on this issue.

• Advertisement

Is Dunphy compromised because of John Delaney's involvement in the Johny Giles charity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I always thought there was tension on the panel when Dunphy and Sadlier were on together.

I don't think Eamo approves of this young pup....he was the up and coming analysis talent and I do think Eamo felt challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

and Matt was referring to him as "Eamon Dunphy from the Stand"

I noticed that Mick was introducing the show as "The Stand With Eamon Dunphy.... with Mick Clifford", which seemed very deliberate. So I don't think that Eamon is going anywhere. He's very very appreciative of Tesco's support, so he wouldn't want to let them down. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

The pro-Brexit guy seemed a lot less convincing today when faced with some tough questions from Mick, rather than being fellated by Eamon.

Also, is there anything more sickening than a grown man referring to themselves as a 'Brexiteer'?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

He's back!

New podcast up today with Giles and Didi...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

He's back!

New podcast up today with Giles and Didi...

Any stuff on the internationals or is it yet another Liverpool blowing session?

Any stuff on the internationals or is it yet another Liverpool blowing session?

17 minutes in and thats what it is so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Anybody hoping that Eamon would address the Delaney issue will be disappointed - not even a mention. With about 10 minutes to go he said they were now turning their attention to a very big event in soccer so I presumed that was the cue but they instead started talking about Solskjaer being appointed permanent manager.

In fact there was no mention at all of the national side so maybe there'll be another episode on the opening two games where they'll then discuss Delaney / FAI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Still Ill wrote: »
    The pro-Brexit guy seemed a lot less convincing today when faced with some tough questions from Mick, rather than being fellated by Eamon.

Also, is there anything more sickening than a grown man referring to themselves as a 'Brexiteer'?

That Brexit guy was an odious spoofer.

Advertisement