Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Does it contain anything we havent heard 100 times already?

This podcast has almost fallen off my radar. The same **** discussed by the same people, over and over again.

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

riemann wrote: »

This podcast has almost fallen off my radar. The same **** discussed by the same people, over and over again.

Yawn.

I tend to agree. I've found I've been listening to it less and less, with the exception of Niall Stanage...

riemann wrote: »

Yawn.

Sheds light on how the criminal system works in France; how the family of the bereaved have far more power than they do in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

dulpit wrote: »
    I tend to agree. I've found I've been listening to it less and less, with the exception of Niall Stanage...

pretty much the same myself. fed up with brexit boy & Johnny Giles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

neris wrote: »

'Brexit boy' is terrible! He got another guy on who is anti brexit and that was a nice change. Bertie was excellent but can't bring him on too often. It's probably tough to rotate many guests but its required to keep it fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

He'd nearly be better cutting back on the amount of episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Chris johns lately is a smart guy and was a good guest

'Brexit boy' is terrible! He got another guy on who is anti brexit and that was a nice change. Bertie was excellent but can't bring him on too often. It's probably tough to rotate many guests but its required to keep it fresh.

The issue isn't so much the same guests, it's the same guests talking about the same thing each time that grates...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The issue isn't so much the same guests, it's the same guests talking about the same thing each time that grates...

I agree. A lot of podcasts have the same guests however a lot of Dunphys podcasts have very little new information about a topic and simply go over the same details multiple times. I listen to very few of the episodes now due to the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

It's funny when Johnny Giles goes on about some random player for 60 years ago. His analysis is all about the players, not the tactics or ways of playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Fuaranach wrote:
    Having visited several Jewish museums in Poland, and Auschwitz, in the past year and learnt about the extirpation of entire villages, towns and cities of its Jewish population as recently as 75 years ago it's uniquely harrowing. All those photographs of vibrant communities and evidence of community life and in the space of a few years those centuries-old communities are exterminated forever. Some 3 million Jews, half of all Jews killed in the Holocaust, were Polish Jews.

hankless wrote:
    It's funny when Johnny Giles goes on about some random player for 60 years ago. His analysis is all about the players, not the tactics or ways of playing.

Giles is long past it as an analyst.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

I know, i mean, it's hard not to have love for the man. He is a legend. But the game is so far past his experience of it, it's getting a bit tedious listening to his analysis when there is such a plethora of in-depth analysis available. If Eamon wants to keep giving him a slot, he shouldn't be on his own with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Yeah, very true. I think he is taking the sports journalism model and it isn't fitting fully with issues like Brexit. It's easy to look at sport with the same people as there is always something new to talk about, even if its done in a similar way. A lot of the current affairs guests are one-trick ponies, very interesting for one interview but have nothing additional to add. Topics like Brexit need a versatile political commentator who can give additional insight as the issue develops, not a vested interest who is good for one interview.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

There's always a rat

Interesting pod with Nicola Tallant re. cocaine use in Ireland. Eamon was pretty open about his use of cocaine towards the end too...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Eamo is dying for a bag

TCM wrote: »
    Giles is long past it as an analyst.

John "the Dodder" Giles

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Eamo has some cheek doing a show tut tutting about cocaine. Wasn’t he famously known for complaining about the quality of coke in Dublin.

Eamo has some cheek doing a show tut tutting about cocaine. Wasn’t he famously known for complaining about the quality of coke in Dublin.

"You can't get good coke in this town" - word for word what I said afairc

• Advertisement

He's too old school. You can get quality stuff off the darkweb.

To be fair, he did admit as such in podcast, and said Gerry Ryan's death was a part of why he stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

He sounded a little ridiculous going on about students celebrating exams by smoking “skunk” ..... and asking if there is heroin in crystal meth.... not the greatest conversation on drug use.....also: Johnny Gyles getting a little tetchy on the last football podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Finally Eamon discusses a subject he actually knows something about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

He sounded a little ridiculous going on about students celebrating exams by smoking “skunk” ..... and asking if there is heroin in crystal meth.... not the greatest conversation on drug use.....also: Johnny Gyles getting a little tetchy on the last football podcast

Eamon knows how to wind John up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

Don't think there was a mention of the Women's World cup on the pod :pac:

steve_r wrote: »
    Don't think there was a mention of the Women's World cup on the pod :pac:

thank the stars for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

neris wrote: »

That Brendan O'Neill is a hard listen. Yes he makes some good and valid points, and I say that as someone who thinks Brexit was a monumentally bad decision (in spite of the many valid criticisms you can label at the EU), and has morphed into the biggest political car crash in modern history, anywhere in the world.
    He just refuses to see any of the obvious problems with it, or refuses to acknowledge them if he is seeing them. This one eyed myopia renders his opinion on the debate redundant in my view.
    He just repeats the same nonsense over and over, always referring back to the fact 'it was the biggest vote in British history' etc etc without ever even addressing the caveats behind that.
    He probably warranted a couple of interviews at best, but to be a regular contributor is something that's just not warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Diarmaid Ferriter interview was very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

terrydel wrote: »
    That Brendan O'Neill is a hard listen. Yes he makes some good and valid points, and I say that as someone who thinks Brexit was a monumentally bad decision (in spite of the many valid criticisms you can label at the EU), and has morphed into the biggest political car crash in modern history, anywhere in the world.
    He just refuses to see any of the obvious problems with it, or refuses to acknowledge them if he is seeing them. This one eyed myopia renders his opinion on the debate redundant in my view.
    He just repeats the same nonsense over and over, always referring back to the fact 'it was the biggest vote in British history' etc etc without ever even addressing the caveats behind that.
    He probably warranted a couple of interviews at best, but to be a regular contributor is something that's just not warranted.

His Wikipedia page is an eye-opener,to day the least. The history of Spiked magazine and the involvement of it's contributors in the Revolutionary Communist Party makes for grimly fascinating reading: https://medium.com/@JRogan3000/spiked-online-ireland-and-brexit-767562a2fcc7

I enjoy this podcast in general but seeing that name next to an episode,nope,no interest.

Advertisement