Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭mikemac2

John Giles is well past it

Last week he said never ever, ever in his career as a manager would he set a lineup on a "wing and a prayer" and try something unknown.

This week he was advocating to include a player from Shamrock Rovers and he believed it was a "wing and a prayer" but sure take a chance. Pure contradiction

He is very good in the historical podcasts like Jack Charlton at Leeds but I cannot listen to him anymore for modern day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

humberklog wrote: »
    Aside from that nonsense from Dunphy I thought it was an excellent analysis of the present situation by Bertie.

The rehabilitation goes on ahead of the run for the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Dunphy's bizarre hard-on for Bertie Ahern continues.

"It was like talking about football with Lionel Messi".

Jesus.

Just listening to it now, nearly puked hearing that.
    Knock it on the head Eamonn, you are doing yourself no favours with that sycophantic ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Was thinking it'd be interesting to get Verona Murphys take on this business in Essex, but discovered she has joined FG.

The end of her on the podcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Eamo sounded completely overawed interviewing Robert Fisk, voice was very shaky at start, rambling questions and jumping around different times/points with each question. Interesting listen all the same which was more to do with Fisk than anything Dunphy did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Someone needs to tell Giles how to say Pochettino.

Says Pota Chino every single time, drives me mad ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I enjoy the podcast, but an unexpected effect is if I listen at night I fall asleep in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Someone needs to tell Giles how to say Pochettino.

Says Pota Chino every single time, drives me mad ha!

Phew... I thought it was just me that was driven demented by that! He also needs to stop calling Mané Sané.

He's like a broken record these days.. I could almost fill in for Giles at this stage and be confident of giving the exact same answers as him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Eamo sounded completely overawed interviewing Robert Fisk, voice was very shaky at start, rambling questions and jumping around different times/points with each question. Interesting listen all the same which was more to do with Fisk than anything Dunphy did

Fisk is always interesting but Eamo does brown nose him to an unbearable degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Fisk is always interesting but Eamo does brown nose him to an unbearable degree.

Any other podcasts by Fisk regularly appears on?
    His writing is always top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I enjoy the podcast almost without Eamonn if that makes sense. He definitely overdoes the brown-nosing at times and he can sound a bit shambolic. Yet, many of those interviews still make for compelling listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I enjoy the podcast almost without Eamonn if that makes sense. He definitely overdoes the brown-nosing at times and he can sound a bit shambolic. Yet, many of those interviews still make for compelling listening.

Niall Stanage is just about tolerating him of late.

His fake chuckling at Eamonn's pronouncements is really noticeable recently.

I enjoy the coverage of Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

padd b1975 wrote: »
    His fake chuckling at Eamonn's pronouncements ...

I enjoy the podcast and wouldn't complain about much, but that was awful.

Fisk has a way of making people feel inferior and I dont mean in a good way. Hes incredibly knowledgeable and articulate but he doesnt half let you know it.

I enjoy the podcast, but an unexpected effect is if I listen at night I fall asleep in seconds.

Thats any podcast for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Any other podcasts by Fisk regularly appears on?
    His writing is always top notch.

He's on Pat Kenny regularly enough. They also have their podcasts archived so you should be able to find a few.

*Edit; He's got 22 up on the Newstalk site.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I don't think he was overawed, he has a long standing relationship with Fisk going back to the days when he presented The Last Word. Fisk is an authority on the Middle East and doesn't suffer fools gladly. Dunphy fell in to the trap of baiting Fisk with populist views and was rightly called out.

Overall it was an educational interview, as all interviews with Fisk are.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

So disappointing they named Monday’s pod Smoking Gun and not Smocking Gun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

riemann wrote: »
    Was thinking it'd be interesting to get Verona Murphys take on this business in Essex, but discovered she has joined FG.

The end of her on the podcast?

Despite her tough gung-ho appearance and attitude she has now been shown-up to be extremely weak when push comes to shove by caving in to the vested interests and apologising for something she really believed in.
    Something Peter Casey refused point blank to do and fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

washman3 wrote: »
    Despite her tough gung-ho appearance and attitude she has now been shown-up to be extremely weak when push comes to shove by caving in to the vested interests and apologising for something she really believed in.
    Something Peter Casey refused point blank to do and fair play to him.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

I actually like Pascal, but that was some ****e of an interview. Had to turn it off after 5 minutes. Every single word he gave back was the most polished vanilla nonsense you could find.
    “I got into politics because of a sense of guilt of being so lucky and an interest in economics”
    “Living in England was a wonderful experience with the most amazing welcome, it’s such a diverse experience”

Jesus just say something that is remotely off the cuff. Any normal answer instead of that PR polished bull****.

I actually think all politicians should be banned from any public speaking or social media activity. That way they’d have to do something noteworthy for the country or their constituents for the media to cover them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

My two cents-

Verona Murphy was out of her depth the minute she started commenting on non haulage industry issues

bamayang wrote: »
    I actually like Pascal, but that was some ****e of an interview. Had to turn it off after 5 minutes. Every single word he gave back was the most polished vanilla nonsense you could find.
    “I got into politics because of a sense of guilt of being so lucky and an interest in economics”
    “Living in England was a wonderful experience with the most amazing welcome, it’s such a diverse experience”

Jesus just say something that is remotely off the cuff. Any normal answer instead of that PR polished bull****.

I actually think all politicians should be banned from any public speaking or social media activity. That way they’d have to do something noteworthy for the country or their constituents for the media to cover them.

If a journo cant hammer fine gael on multiple social issues then they should really find another job, its an open goal. Donohoe is clearly an intelligent guy and far from the worst in his party of subtle bigots, snobs and entitled f**ks, but he has a lot of answer for on his horrible economics that are a huge part of the reason behind the housing crisis amongst many other problems we face here, and every time I hear him interviewed he gets away scot free.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

This Karl Deeter lad mixes some half decent commentary with some real absurd statements making him hard enough to listen to I find.
    Surely could find a better analyst on the housing crisis.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not sure there are many who are more qualified tbh.

Obrieski wrote: »
    This Karl Deeter lad mixes some half decent commentary with some real absurd statements making him hard enough to listen to I find.

He's just a neo liberal market worshipping bore. Can't stand him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Obrieski wrote: »
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm not sure there are many who are more qualified tbh.
    terrydel wrote: »
    He's just a neo liberal market worshipping bore. Can't stand him.

I was listening to him last night, and unfortunately, kept think about Boards and how he would be viewed here where many seem to think the homeless issue is virtually non-existent and exaggerated in its representation by those looking to remain relevant in some particular manner.

How is it that we sill do not know what exactly is going on, and if there is a problem, how to fix it?

Karl seems very informed on the topic but if he is correct, then government action is completely inappropriate and focused in the wrong direction.

And many on this site (which in fairness could just equate to 20-30 people out of the entire country) speak about it the whole thing being a fallacy.

I was listening to him last night, and unfortunately, kept think about Boards and how he would be viewed here where many seem to think the homeless issue is virtually non-existent and exaggerated in its representation by those looking to remain relevant in some particular manner.

How is it that we sill do not know what exactly is going on, and if there is a problem, how to fix it?

Karl seems very informed on the topic but if he is correct, then government action is completely inappropriate and focused in the wrong direction.

And many on this site (which in fairness could just equate to 20-30 people out of the entire country) speak about it the whole thing being a fallacy.

You should go onto the accommodation and property forum, they are like Holocaust deniers when it comes to our homelessness crisis. Full of pro landlord, fine gael voter types.

• Advertisement

The review of Joe Schmidt's book with Neil Francis is great, they dont hold back.

Advertisement