Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think it's all a bit of a laugh. I think neither Dunphy or Ken take what each says about the other to heart. I think they both know it's only a bit of craic at the end of the day - arguing over opinions about football.

I fancy Nicola talent

not a huge amount of talent looks-wise with Nicola Tallant imo

Some amount of slap on her

was Eamo going in for a cop-a-feel here?!

VK5tZLs.png

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

Arghus wrote: »
    I think it's all a bit of a laugh. I think neither Dunphy or Ken take what each says about the other to heart. I think they both know it's only a bit of craic at the end of the day - arguing over opinions about football.

Yeah I think dunphy and Ken don't actually have an issue. It's more Giles that has an issue with ken in my opinion would love to know what caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Any chance Richard Fitzpatrick could liven up his contributions?

Interesting guest apart from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

blackwave wrote: »
    Yeah I think dunphy and Ken don't actually have an issue. It's more Giles that has an issue with ken in my opinion would love to know what caused it.

I think Ken and Giles just view football differently. Ken is too nuanced and poetic when it comes to football analysis. It seems like to me that they love football in different ways me clash on this percetion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

blackwave wrote: »

It's bizarre really. Apparently Ken expressed some opinion that Giles didn't agree with back in the Newstalk days and that's been it ever since. It's weird, Giles and Ken could have been great together. I think it reflects badly on Giles to be honest.

Arghus wrote: »
    It's bizarre really. Apparently Ken expressed some opinion that Giles didn't agree with back in the Newstalk days and that's been it ever since. It's weird, Giles and Ken could have been great together. I think it reflects badly on Giles to be honest.

Giles loves to be buttered up as the "old pro in the know". Dunphy sees fit to do it every time still.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Classic exchange between Eamo and the ubiquitous Tomas Ryan today.

Tomas: Luke O'Neill is an immunologist of world renown. Known globally.

Eamo: He's a bit like Lionel Messi.

Long pause

Tomas: I don't know who that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Classic exchange between Eamo and the ubiquitous Tomas Ryan today.

Tomas: Luke O'Neill is an immunologist of world renown. Known globally.

Eamo: He's a bit like Lionel Messi.

Long pause

Tomas: I don't know who that is.

Just listened to that earlier, tragic stuff really.
    You could tell it wasn't even put on, he legitimately was flummoxed!

Would have thought that would have been edited out, does nobody any favours keeping it in there.

Eamon spent the last 2 podcasts with Tomas Ryan admonishing the "young people", going so far as to quote the Irish Times where they told young people to "cop on".

I wonder will he be as strong and forthright on the recent golf outing scandal where it was predominantly older people, and elected officials, who were not "copping on"?

Yes, some young people are not being very proactive in their efforts at trying to curtail / stop the virus, but I do know a lot of them who are doing their best, and the "older people" aren't exactly a shining light either.
    Throwing out these blanket pronouncements has turned me off the podcast a lot recently.

I feel his fear of the virus is especially weighing on the direction the latest episodes go, and in particular his interviews with Tomas Ryan, where I feel he lets him off rather lightly on a lot of his views and declarations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Obrieski wrote: »
    Eamon spent the last 2 podcasts with Tomas Ryan admonishing the "young people", going so far as to quote the Irish Times where they told young people to "cop on".

I wonder will he be as strong and forthright on the recent golf outing scandal where it was predominantly older people, and elected officials, who were not "copping on"?

Yes, some young people are not being very proactive in their efforts at trying to curtail / stop the virus, but I do know a lot of them who are doing their best, and the "older people" aren't exactly a shining light either.
    Throwing out these blanket pronouncements has turned me off the podcast a lot recently.

I feel his fear of the virus is especially weighing on the direction the latest episodes go, and in particular his interviews with Tomas Ryan, where I feel he lets him off rather lightly on a lot of his views and declarations

The words "House Party" needs to stop being used when warning of gatherings. Everyone just things of groups of young people drinking wheras the alot of clusters are coming from large family gatherings or family birthday parties where the ages vary from kids to grandparents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

oh I would be disappointed if Dunphy wasnt all over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Jesus Christ enough with the Tomas Ryan podcasts, change the bleedin' record.

That Messi bit was hilarious though.

I'd like to hear Tomas Ryan's strategy once we get to zero covid. I was initially in favour of that strategy but I don't know how you'd keep it out if NZ are having so much trouble.

I'd like to hear Tomas Ryan's strategy once we get to zero covid. I was initially in favour of that strategy but I don't know how you'd keep it out if NZ are having so much trouble.

he's in la-la-land and biased because he wants to get his kids back to school so was hoping for some zero situation before then but that is not going to happen

don't think that he has such a plan tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Thought the interview with Mich Clifford about the meat processing plants was very interesting and really shone a light on what's going on there in terms of cheap labour and also the treatment of farmers. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned here already.

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Thought the interview with Mich Clifford about the meat processing plants was very interesting and really shone a light on what's going on there in terms of cheap labour and also the treatment of farmers. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned here already.

Mick Clifford is a very knowledgeable contributor I find. Eamon has used him less often recently since he started his own podcast unfortunately

glasso wrote: »
    he's in la-la-land and biased because he wants to get his kids back to school so was hoping for some zero situation before then but that is not going to happen

don't think that he has such a plan tbh

I think he's biased due to his qualifications in medical sciences. Having zero covid before the schools open would have been fantastic. Now we probably face yet another strict lockdown in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

Mick Clifford is a very knowledgeable contributor I find. Eamon has used him less often recently since he started his own podcast unfortunately

I wonder if it's coming from the Irish Times as they might want him to concentrate on his own podcast. He was on with Dunphy recently and it got pulled down afterwards and then his own podcast was looking at a similar topic

• Registered Users Posts: 15,628 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

steve_r wrote: »
    I wonder if it's coming from the Irish Times as they might want him to concentrate on his own podcast. He was on with Dunphy recently and it got pulled down afterwards and then his own podcast was looking at a similar topic

Mick is with the examiner not the IT

And yes he’s one of the good guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,628 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Giles loves to be buttered up as the "old pro in the know". Dunphy sees fit to do it every time still.

That’s very true. I suspect Giles looks down on any football writer/pundit other than old pros (that he likes)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Nice, didn’t know he had his own podcast, just subscribed there, always enjoyed him when he was in with Dunphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

Mick is with the examiner not the IT

And yes he’s one of the good guys
    Irish times owns the examiner. Producer on Mick’s pod is also a producer on the Irish times inside politics podcast

Tomas Ryan will have to find a new poster child country at the end of the earth

New Zealand Extends Lockdown

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-53886479

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Tomas Ryan will have to find a new poster child country at the end of the earth

New Zealand Extends Lockdown

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-53886479

Think his point that NZ are locking down with the end goal to remain living normal lives like they were for 10 months previously still stands though to be fair. We'll eventually be fully locking down again just to get back to a half open economy and a generally grim existence with business closing down left, right and centre.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Think his point that NZ are locking down with the end goal to remain living normal lives like they were for 10 months previously still stands though to be fair. We'll eventually be fully locking down again just to get back to a half open economy and a generally grim existence with business closing down left, right and centre.

yes but his argument is that once you get to that zero Covid / elimination stage that it can be maintained -> that new clusters can be cut out without lockdown.

which has not been possible for New Zealand

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Anyone tempted to throw a few quid into Philip O'Connor's gofundme for 50 days/50 states beano?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Morrison J wrote: »
    10 months?? We are 8 months into the pandemic...
    And how do you know "we'll eventually be fully locking down again" when every expert out there has said that local lock-downs are the way forward in the interim while we wait for a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

10 months?? We are 8 months into the pandemic...
    And how do you know "we'll eventually be fully locking down again" when every expert out there has said that local lock-downs are the way forward in the interim while we wait for a vaccine.

Sorry had 100 days and 3 months both in my head and that somehow came out as 10 months!

Well, the fact that numbers are going up now when we're at phase 3 with no schools open yet doesn't bode well does it. I'm in Dublin so for me a lockdown is just inevitable at this point regardless of our strategy. I don't think other counties or the whole country will be far off joining though personally.

I would much rather if we had tried to pursue the zero co-vid strategy personally and feel the country would be in a far better headspace coming off a couple of months of an open economy (bar tourism) even if we had to lockdown for a bit to get back to zero.

At the moment we're pretty much devoid of a long term strategy apart from waiting for a vaccine which could be out in a year or could be out in 10 years. It's just cross your fingers stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

El Sueño wrote: »
    Jesus Christ enough with the Tomas Ryan podcasts, change the bleedin' record.

Same could be said for most of his recent output. He is recycling the same contributors and asking them the same questions every time. This works in a fluid story like Trump with the benefit of an erudite contributor like Stanage but just about every other contributor has become stale by now.

I'm guessing the role of researcher is the sole property of Eamon for some time now.

Advertisement