Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

Aidric wrote: »
    Same could be said for most of his recent output. He is recycling the same contributors and asking them the same questions every time. This works in a fluid story like Trump with the benefit of an erudite contributor like Stanage but just about every other contributor has become stale by now.

I'm guessing the role of researcher is the sole property of Eamon for some time now.

"that way I get to keep the mullah baby"

I wonder what's the deal for the contributors - would they get much?

Eamo must have an editor - can't see him doing that grunt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,628 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’d say some of his guests are happy just to be given time and attention

Think - gilesy

Others, like Chris Johns, must be getting paid? Why else would they give of their time for the same general conversation often twice a week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I was just catching up on some of Eamon this evening and there’s one from Friday with Fionnan Sheahan that’s well worth a listen for anyone that hasn’t yet. He surmises the mood of the public and the disarray our “leadership” are in, in the wake of the Golf debacle very well.

He makes a very amusing comparison with our current minister for health and David Brent at about 13 minutes in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Others, like Chris Johns, must be getting paid? Why else would they give of their time for the same general conversation often twice a week

Possibly for promotion. A lot of his contributors are on the margins for good reason. Eamon loves to scratch the surface with willing contributors but his schtick is starting to wear thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I was just catching up on some of Eamon this evening and there’s one from Friday with Fionnan Sheahan that’s well worth a listen for anyone that hasn’t yet. He surmises the mood of the public and the disarray our “leadership” are in, in the wake of the Golf debacle very well.

He makes a very amusing comparison with our current minister for health and David Brent at about 13 minutes in :pac:

I listened to that one day and found it caught what I think is the sentiment perfectly (I'm in US so not immediately aware of exactly what people are saying back home).

Is it the single biggest Irish political incident of the last 40 years?
    Dara Calleary was on the radio the day before the event talking about the legislation and the need to adhere to it for FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Surely what makes an interesting podcast is a variety of guests?

I've found myself listening to less and less of these in the last month or two, after a while having the same conversations with the same contributors gets a bit boring. Sorry Eamo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

El Sueño wrote: »
    Surely what makes an interesting podcast is a variety of guests?

I've found myself listening to less and less of these in the last month or two, after a while having the same conversations with the same contributors gets a bit boring. Sorry Eamo

Good point. I know I find some sports podcasts to go stale when they use the same guests repeatedly.

most repetitive segment is a close call between the Tomás Ryan one and the Sweden Anders Tegnell one

but Tomás Ryan has to get the nod, mainly for pure monotony value :D

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

He's found a gem in Naomi O'Leary I feel - an excellent contributor in the few podcasts she has been on so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Very noticeable change in tone with the discussion of the COVID situation in Sweden in today's podcast I thought. I have thought that the overarching feel of the previous podcasts on the topic of Sweden and Tegnel was one of schadenfreude - the lads that tried to be too clever and it backfired on them. Maybe I'm being harsh but that is what I felt listening to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I researched that Brian McDonald guy.

Google him. He’s a RT/Putin shill and has been for a long time. He pushes the pro Putin line at all times.

Presumably eamo has him on because he’s either dirt cheap or free

A shameless shill. Don't often give Eamon credit but he rightly called out this lightweight on the Belarus podcast.

Direct quote from McDonald "principal that Russia has it refuses to accept foreign interference anywhere", presumably said with a straight face.

Dunphy rightly called him out from a geopolitical perspective.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Bryan wedging in distance between Putin and the Navalny poisoning too by saying Navalny had plenty of enemies and kinda backing that narrative later by saying Nemtov was killed (2015) by Chechens on the orders of Chechen leader Kadyov.

"Soft authoritarianism" indeed.

Some amount of nonsense in today’s pod with Chris Johns

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

Obrieski wrote: »
    Some amount of nonsense in today’s pod with Chris Johns
    When he sang rule britannia 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Obrieski wrote: »
    He's found a gem in Naomi O'Leary I feel - an excellent contributor in the few podcasts she has been on so far.

Agree! And he mentioned she has her own pod also. Must check out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They must have been listening as no Tomas Ryan today for a change. Albeit they've got Anthony Staines in who preaches from the same hymn sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

They must have been listening as no Tomas Ryan today for a change. Albeit they've got Anthony Staines in who preaches from the same hymn sheet.

That Tomas Ryan is a caricature at this stage .

Richard Fitzpatrick is a complete bengal lancer too. He sounds like hes only on as he is an Irish man living in Barcelona. He offers zero insight and frequently pronounces players name wrong etc. He seems like a lovely fella but he hasn't a breeze!

My ultimate goal in life is to find someone who loves me the way Philip O Connor loves Philip O Connor.

I do check in now and again alright lads to catch the vibes.

-Eamo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭applehunter

Interesting how Niall Stanage keeps bringing up Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity but the name Tucker Carlson is never mentioned.

Tucker Carlson is the No. 1 watched show on Fox News. He is closer to Trumps vision than either. He is critical of globalism and foreign wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

That lad in Barcelona is a pure spoofer, I get the impression he hasn't a clue about soccer. Can't put my finger on why

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

My ultimate goal in life is to find someone who loves me the way Philip O Connor loves Philip O Connor.[/QUOTE]

Lol!! True Love!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 OneHedge1

I don't think the Eamo of old would have toed the line so compliantly regarding the lockdown.

Would love to hear him really get stuck into those "died with" vs "died of" statistics, mortality rates, excess deaths compared with last serious flu outbreak, what would those flu numbers look like if we'd accidentally moved all the flu sufferers into nursing homes, etc. But instead, it seems Sweden is just a case study that can be completely dismissed on the basis that they are "more socially reserved" and so we are all murderers unless we lockdown now. (And of course, we should be building a national pandemic laboratory for Tomas Ryan. I'm slightly joking, but only slightly!)

Agreed, Naomi O'Leary is great.

As for Chris Johns, kill me now. Not joking at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Eamon has emphysema now so his perspective on Covid 19 and the lockdown is completely different. He was on Ray D'Arcy this afternoon talking about this and his need to isolate given his lung issues. He is well aware of the damage Covid can do the lungs in particular, especially for him and other COPD sufferers.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Does anyone know the twitter account of the Kinahan whistleblower that Nicola tallant was on about in today’s episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mackcracknsack

Does anyone know the twitter account of the Kinahan whistleblower that Nicola tallant was on about in today’s episode?

https://twitter.com/Cancer42198753?s=09

Was it just me who spent the entire episode with Chris Johns yesterday thinking “if only Eamon had a regular contributor from the USA who was knowledgeable and up to speed with all the goings on over there...”?!
    🙄

El Sueño wrote: »
    That lad in Barcelona is a pure spoofer, I get the impression he hasn't a clue about soccer. Can't put my finger on why

well he did write this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/El-Clasico-Barcelona-Footballs-Greatest/dp/1408158809/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Richard+Fitzpatrick+el+classico&qid=1599143556&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭applehunter

Johns compares Trump to Hitler.

This does a disservice to peoples intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Had to laugh at the RT guy today trying to weasel around the Navalny poisoning.

Also, distinguishing it from the Skripal and Litvinenko poisonings by arguing "some would say they had it coming".....Yikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,628 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I see he had Brian McDonald on again

Let me guess

Putin an angel

Everyone else terrible

Advertisement