Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

Had to laugh at the RT guy today trying to weasel around the Navalny poisoning.

Also, distinguishing it from the Skripal and Litvinenko poisonings by arguing "some would say they had it coming".....Yikes.

It's probably the only way to avoid being served dodgy tea or "accidentally" falling out of a 20th-floor window.

Tork wrote: »
    It's probably the only way to avoid being served dodgy tea or "accidentally" falling out of a 20th-floor window.

Have seen some comment that it could have been a powerful Russian that was not Putin that tried to poison Navalny

Could be some truth in it as he's particularly known for his anti-corruption stance and investigations

Navalny is well known as an activist, but it's his investigations that have been the biggest thorn in the side of some of Russia's powerful people. His investigative videos about the apparent unexplained wealth of top government officials has particularly raised the ire of the Kremlin. One video about former Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev drew more than 35 million views on YouTube.

More recently, Navalny has tangled with Yevgeny Prigozhin, a Kremlin-linked oligarch who is under US sanction over interference in American elections. Navalny said he recently decided to shut his investigative non-profit after a company affiliated with Prigozhin filed a major lawsuit against him and his foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Tomas Ryan back on today. Actually think I'll give this one a skip. A well worn record at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Currently skipping about 2/3 of the episodes released. Will avoid anything with Brendan O'Neill, most of the soccer chats and most of the covid chats. The other contributors though are quite good.

No Niall Stanage this week? I assume he needed a holiday after the 2 conventions...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Yeah, missed Niall Stannage this week.. He's my bike ride home staple on a Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Nicola Tallent was discussing her book during the week. About a young teenager who was entered witness protection as he gave evidence in a murder trial. Lots more to the story

I bought it and it’s extremely good

I suppose after doing the podcasts for over a year she is entitled to one podcast to publicise her book and drum up sales, it worked with me anyway!

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Nicola Tallent was discussing her book during the week. About a young teenager who was entered witness protection as he gave evidence in a murder trial. Lots more to the story

I bought it and it’s extremely good

I suppose after doing the podcasts for over a year she is entitled to one podcast to publicise her book and drum up sales, it worked with me anyway!

Can't hold a promo episode against her really, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

The title of Eamon Dunphys podcast episode released today:

"Covid 19-Ireland and Europe trending towards trouble"

I like Dunphy but the media have completely failed the public on matters Covid. Not just in Ireland to be fair. Its shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Finally deciding to present an alternative viewpoint to Tomas Ryan, Eamo gets on...Gerry Killeen.

• Advertisement

Finally deciding to present an alternative viewpoint to Tomas Ryan, Eamo gets on...Gerry Killeen.

Its very disappointing. When he started the pod i felt we would get hard questions, vincent brown-esque holding of people to account and balanced coverage.

We got that with clifford on the mccabe affair, and with tallant on MTK (who had been given via our boxers an easy enough ride in the press at that time)

What we have now is weekly bed wetting which is not reflective of the covid data at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm actually done with this podcast now, it's been like an echo chamber for months and bringing on Gerry Killeen is the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Yeah it's been very disappointing that Eamon, who used to be the contrarian voice in the Irish media, is now just a vehicle for the same voices and opinions as the national broadcaster. Echo chamber is the most appropriate description.

I can't imagine the Eamo of the 1990s would have been calling to keep the pubs closed that is for sure. A bit of COVID wouldn't have been enough to keep him off the Charlie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Folks, if he roasts people on his Podcasts people won't go on it.

VinB was mentioned, if he had a podcast no one would agree to go on it!

Dunphy has basically tried to do a radio current affairs drivetime type show via podcast, and this is a difficult task. Large media empires like RTE, Newstalk etc cannot be ignored, politicians etc cannot refuse to go on it. Podcasts can be ignored. No one would be criticised for saying no to going on a podcast. I suspect this is why he has basically no politicians on it.

Most CA podcasts are the hosts giving their opinion and analysis of things, with an occasional guest. (Such as David McWilliam's podcast) Dunphy doesn't really do this at all. The quality of his shows is dependent on his guests, and he does well to get the guests he does and he has added a few new ones, such as the Europe correspondent lady who is very good.

Dunphy's approach is basically to be very nice to his guests, let them get their opinion across, ask a few questions about that opinion, get them to explain things a bit simpler, keep a solid narrative going throughout the podcast tying it into the news and avoiding wandering too far into the weeds. He sprinkles in the odd "controversial" statement/joke and gets his guests take on it.

What Dunphy does is actually quite skilful, he is very very good at timing, he rarely goes over 30 to 40 mins and the conversations never feel rushed or abruptly ended. This is really really hard to do. It is easy, inoffensive listening where it can bring you up to speed on things. Its not really for media junkies but a more general audience.

When I heard Dunphy was going to have a podcast I expected it to be a "normal" podcast for a personality like Dunphy - a self indulgent soap box for his own opinion, rants galore. Basically an audio version of his opinion pieces of old in the Sindo. To be fair to Dunphy he has not done this at all - the podcast isn't really about him.

This must have been very tempting - because Dunphy is legitimately a decent journalist/opinion piece writer, very capable of sharp cutting comment and provocative insight. Contrast Dunphy on his podcast with when he is being interviewed, worlds apart.

In fact, I wouldn't mind an odd episode with just Dunphy, or with someone else where Dunphy discusses his own opinion on things. Or where he goes over some of the big stories of his past.

Overall, I like the podcast. I dont listen to every podcast he puts out, I'd say 60%. Don't think of this like a normal podcast, rather think of it as current affairs radio.

Dunphy has basically tried to do a radio current affairs drivetime type show via podcast, and this is a difficult task. Large media empires like RTE, Newstalk etc cannot be ignored, politicians etc cannot refuse to go on it. Podcasts can be ignored. No one would be criticised for saying no to going on a podcast. I suspect this is why he has basically no politicians on it.

Most CA podcasts are the hosts giving their opinion and analysis of things, with an occasional guest. (Such as David McWilliam's podcast) Dunphy doesn't really do this at all. The quality of his shows is dependent on his guests, and he does well to get the guests he does and he has added a few new ones, such as the Europe correspondent lady who is very good.

Dunphy's approach is basically to be very nice to his guests, let them get their opinion across, ask a few questions about that opinion, get them to explain things a bit simpler, keep a solid narrative going throughout the podcast tying it into the news and avoiding wandering too far into the weeds. He sprinkles in the odd "controversial" statement/joke and gets his guests take on it.

What Dunphy does is actually quite skilful, he is very very good at timing, he rarely goes over 30 to 40 mins and the conversations never feel rushed or abruptly ended. This is really really hard to do. It is easy, inoffensive listening where it can bring you up to speed on things. Its not really for media junkies but a more general audience.

When I heard Dunphy was going to have a podcast I expected it to be a "normal" podcast for a personality like Dunphy - a self indulgent soap box for his own opinion, rants galore. Basically an audio version of his opinion pieces of old in the Sindo. To be fair to Dunphy he has not done this at all - the podcast isn't really about him.

This must have been very tempting - because Dunphy is legitimately a decent journalist/opinion piece writer, very capable of sharp cutting comment and provocative insight. Contrast Dunphy on his podcast with when he is being interviewed, worlds apart.

In fact, I wouldn't mind an odd episode with just Dunphy, or with someone else where Dunphy discusses his own opinion on things. Or where he goes over some of the big stories of his past.

Overall, I like the podcast. I dont listen to every podcast he puts out, I'd say 60%. Don't think of this like a normal podcast, rather think of it as current affairs radio.

He doesn't have to lash them out of it. Maybe he should have another voice on the next day who maybe has a more relaxed or alternative view of the restrictions and the pandemic. The only sliver we get of that is by vicariously living through the Swedes via the reportage of Philip(eat himself if he was chocolate) O'Connor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    The only sliver we get of that is by vicariously living through the Swedes via the reportage of Philip(eat himself if he was chocolate) O'Connor

Well I don't think Eamon's introductions do anything for Philip O'Connor's humility. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Well I don't think Eamon's introductions do anything for Philip O'Connor's humility. :D

Actually haven't listened to any of those podcasts. Does he describe him as the Leo Messi of journalism or something? :pac:

Still Ill wrote: »
    Actually haven't listened to any of those podcasts. Does he describe him as the Leo Messi of journalism or something? :pac:

o connor barely takes a breath to let Eamon talk. He's relentless

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

This is a very fair take, I think

Yeah it's been very disappointing that Eamon, who used to be the contrarian voice in the Irish media, is now just a vehicle for the same voices and opinions as the national broadcaster. Echo chamber is the most appropriate description.

I can't imagine the Eamo of the 1990s would have been calling to keep the pubs closed that is for sure. A bit of COVID wouldn't have been enough to keep him off the Charlie.

with over 300 new confirmed cases today (multiple of that in terms of actual cases) there is probably less support for the "wet" pubs re-opening amongst the population in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    He doesn't have to lash them out of it. Maybe he should have another voice on the next day who maybe has a more relaxed or alternative view of the restrictions and the pandemic. The only sliver we get of that is by vicariously living through the Swedes via the reportage of Philip(eat himself if he was chocolate) O'Connor

He does have the economist Dan O'Brien on now and again and he'd fit this criteria, he obviously views things from the economic consequences slant and I find his commentary interesting.

I also thought the recent Fionnan Sheahan ones were quite good, particularly his commentary on the Golf debacle a few weeks ago.

Skipped/ignored the Gerry Killeen one. You know what you're going to get with him. His appearances on TV during the height of the lockdown were infuriating.

I do like the soccer ones for the most part but I wish he'd have Didi on more often or even Liam Brady, or dare I say a fresher voice altogether. As much as I am fond of John Giles, he does get a bit repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Just listened to his most recent podcast with Niall Stanage and he mentioned he's been getting some hate mail about his commentary on Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭applehunter

He recently compared him to Adolf Hitler & Ian Paisley.

He talks endlessly about restoring decency to the White House whatever that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,636 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

He recently compared him to Adolf Hitler & Ian Paisley.

He talks endlessly about restoring decency to the White House whatever that is.

I'd say a President who doesn't call people who died fighting in his countries army losers would be more decent than one who does. Wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would love to see the head on Stanage if Trump wins again.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Would love to see the head on Stanage if Trump wins again.

I think he'd be happy enough, paper never denying ink and all that. Also Niall has never come across as being personally outraged or offended by Trump. He just gives the read on what's occurring in an level headed manner. To my ear at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

He has made more of an effort to be fair than most commentators I've heard. It's hard to defend the indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Stanage is unusually fair on Trump.

Trump's behaviour is a disgrace, it's as simple as that I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ball boy

Liam Brady hasn't been on the podcast for a while, he's a big loss on the football front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Ball boy wrote: »
    Liam Brady hasn't been on the podcast for a while, he's a big loss on the football front.

Yeah it’s been a while. And Didi Hamann too. Maybe they’ll reappear as the new season starts.

John Giles on again today with yet another look back at the good old days at Leeds. I feel we’ve heard those stories a few too many times already.

Advertisement