Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I never thought I would be at this stage, but I'm pretty much at the point of just removing the podcast altogether at this stage. He is putting out the podcasts in incredible numbers for one man, but the podcasts are pretty much the same people saying the same things every week. And tbh, there's a lot of competition out there that I would rather listen to.

I found I was never downloading it lately because every episode was either we’re doomed because of covid or we’re doomed because of brexit. Ended up removing it as he’s going to get plenty more mileage out of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 OneHedge1

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    The title of Eamon Dunphys podcast episode released today:

"Covid 19-Ireland and Europe trending towards trouble"

I like Dunphy but the media have completely failed the public on matters Covid. Not just in Ireland to be fair. Its shameful.

I'm saddened as I admire Dunphy but he has certainly earnt the right to be indulging his personal views now.

This week from UK we've heard about "don't kill your granny" and a proposed £100 Billion testing scheme for 2021 - which is a tax on our grandchildren. (I'll bet all the coke in Eamo's kitchen and more, that no one here is part the mega-businesses that will rake in that 100Bn.)

This is more than a little scary. If you were trying to anchor a rational covid-19 sceptical opinion to a credible Irish media commentator, who would that be? Where is the new Dunphy, upstart dissenting voice in Irish life?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

OneHedge1 wrote: »
    If you were trying to anchor a rational covid-19 sceptical opinion to a credible Irish media commentator, who would that be?
    Oxymoron, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

JoeA3 wrote: »
    John Giles on again today with yet another look back at the good old days at Leeds. I feel we’ve heard those stories a few too many times already.

Agreed, I was hoping we'd hear his thoughts on Bielsa's Leeds team or a prediction for Saturday's game, yet the only reference to anything in 2020 was Dunphy asking whether Giles' Leeds could beat the current Liverpool team :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Thought the "interview" of Billy Hutchinson was awful. It was basically a political party broadcast for the PUP. He wasn't challenged once.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

John Giles and Eamon discussing Jose Mourinho a few days ago saying his style of management doesn't work. Cos he is argumentative, combative, calling his players out in public, treating them badly.

Then they moved on to discussing the good old days and described how the Wolves manager of the 50s/60s was a right pr1ck and that's what made him so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭JDigweed

Thought the "interview" of Billy Hutchinson was awful. It was basically a political party broadcast for the PUP. He wasn't challenged once.

Agreed, Billy Hutchinson spouting nonsense like a United Ireland will mean persecution of protestants.....and Dunphy letting it slide. Is it any wonder they burn tricolors on bonfires when they are fed that sh1te by so called leading politicians

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Chris Johns on again today. And Bertie during the week. To talk all things Brexity- deals and wheels.

Chris Jonhs reminds me of Whispering Bob Harris hosting the Old Grey Whistle test cica '78. Still banging on about "real" music by "real" musicians. Artists of quality, of integrity, playing music he understood- true musicians like Tony Blair, Peter Gabriel, Bertie, Lynyrd Skynyrd, John Major, John Martyn, Alistair Campbell, Fleetwood bloody Mac.
    All the while outside the studio, on the streets and climbing up the the charts- number one with a gun- it's Punk and New Wave, a ciggy in your fried egg, two fingers to eggheaded craftsmen and the Queen can go fcuk herself while she's at it too.
    The young Turks like Rees-Mogg, Ian Curtis, Gove, Vicious, Cummings, Rotten, Trump, New York Dolls, Boris, Strummer have kicked the door in and are twiddling the knobs and taking a slash on the rubber plant in the corner.

Johns knows his onions when its comes to finances but his (and Bertie's) views on politics are already nostalgic. That's how nostalgia works- Bob Harris sitting on the pier licking his '99 reminiscing about seeing The Boss in Slane in 1985 while wife is behind the wheelie bins, sniffing poppers and having anal sex Brendan O' Neill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Him and Giles are dinosaurs. They've the league sussed after one game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Eamo's "style" of interviewing is basically to allow his guests to ramble on unchallenged while he kisses their arse. It works for some interviews but sometimes you would be screaming at the radio for him to pull them up on certain things they might have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Him and Giles are dinosaurs. They've the league sussed after one game.

So John what did you think of Liverpool on Sunday? Well Eamon, didn't they play well? I remember when I was at Leeds and we won 2-1 away from home at Arsenal, it was a Saturday in November 1965. Didn't you score that day John? I did Eamon yeah.

Yawn.

This week:

Trump Himself The Issue, Biden Exceeds Low Expectations
    The Slow And Painful Exposure Of Boris
    Two Northern Communities - Further Apart Than Ever
    Boris's Brexit - Bad For Britain, Bad For Ireland, Bad For Europe
    Jose Mourinho - Yesterday's Man.

Negative, negative, same old groundhog day programs. You have one more week Eamon, then you're gone unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

Current affairs at the moment is pretty grim though.

Tork wrote: »
    Current affairs at the moment is pretty grim though.

Yeah that is a fair point, but I think he certainly does seem to enjoy all the negativity. In the same way that I enjoy disaster movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

This week:

Trump Himself The Issue, Biden Exceeds Low Expectations
    The Slow And Painful Exposure Of Boris
    Two Northern Communities - Further Apart Than Ever
    Boris's Brexit - Bad For Britain, Bad For Ireland, Bad For Europe
    Jose Mourinho - Yesterday's Man.

Negative, negative, same old groundhog day programs. You have one more week Eamon, then you're gone unfortunately!

Given Spurs result today and their new signings, be interesting to see if they are more optimistic about them/Jose if they cover football tomorrow. No doubt they'll just focus on criticising MUFC/Kepa instead....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Pretty much 90% of every soccer podcast is made up of the following topics:

- Mourinho is finished
    - Pep doesn't focus enough on defence
    - Pogba isn't a great midfielder, how did he cost 90 million, etc
    - Barcelona are in decline
    - Spanish teams can't compete with the premier league teams
    - Italian football is in decline
    - "When I played for Leeds...."

Rinse and repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I'm a little behind on The Stand and I skip half the Trump, Brexit and soccer episodes so that doesn't leave a lot so I mainly just listen to the Covid episodes I guess :pac:

I didn't see anyone mention the Jim O'Callaghan episode and I just wanted to say I thought he came across well. I found myself agreeing with everything he said and I sya this as a non FF voter. He said the easy thing for government to do is just follow NPHET advice so they don't have to take any of the responsibility and blame for the decisions they make. He said governments biggest failure has been the nursing homes, not many TDs in government have admitted to this and he mentioned that its understandable that a lot of people under 30 find it hard to follow guidelines, instead of just wagging a finger at them. He didn't exactly come out and say it but it sounds if up to him he wouldn't be closing restaurants in Dublin af the moment. I just found his outlook on things as sensible and not the careful careful approach of most in government, I guess that's easier as a backbencher but I was impressed all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Klonker wrote: »
    I'm a little behind on The Stand and I skip half the Trump, Brexit and soccer episodes so that doesn't leave a lot so I mainly just listen to the Covid episodes I guess :pac:

I didn't see anyone mention the Jim O'Callaghan episode and I just wanted to say I thought he came across well. I found myself agreeing with everything he said and I sya this as a non FF voter. He said the easy thing for government to do is just follow NPHET advice so they don't have to take any of the responsibility and blame for the decisions they make. He said governments biggest failure has been the nursing homes, not many TDs in government have admitted to this and he mentioned that its understandable that a lot of people under 30 find it hard to follow guidelines, instead of just wagging a finger at them. He didn't exactly come out and say it but it sounds if up to him he wouldn't be closing restaurants in Dublin af the moment. I just found his outlook on things as sensible and not the careful careful approach of most in government, I guess that's easier as a backbencher but I was impressed all the same.

Think O'Callaghan would happily follow NPGET advice to the letter aswell had he been chosen to board the ministerial gravy train.

He would happily lose any independent thought once on the inside looking out, rather than on the outside looking in, which is his main gripe more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Think O'Callaghan would happily follow NPGET advice to the letter aswell had he been chosen to board the ministerial gravy train.

He would happily lose any independent thought once on the inside looking out, rather than on the outside looking in, which is his main gripe more than anything else.

Was he not chosen but refused a Minister's position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

robwen wrote: »
    Was he not chosen but refused a Minister's position

Turned down one of the junior ministries.

Didn't fancy operating below the level of Helen McEntee no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Turned down one of the junior ministries.

Didn't fancy operating below the level of Helen McEntee no doubt.

Sounds fair enough

not sure why the government would admit to any direct culpability re the nursing homes when there are likely to significant legal proceedings down the line in relation to that.

until there is an investigation it's very much a he said / she said sort of situation between the nursing home operators and the HSE

of course O'Callaghan would be towing the line as a minister.

He has very much set out his agenda as replacing Mi Hole as FF leader and is not worried about the current government make-up. This is further evidenced by (after the fact) backing Barry "Biffo-lite" Cowen saying that he shouldn't have been sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Ep 882: Covid-19 - Unless We Abandon Our Defeatist Strategy We're Looking at 35,000 Deaths. Prof. Gerry Killeen
    @killeen_gerry
    talks to Eamon #Covid-19 #Coronavirus

Thats a disgrace of an episode title and premise. This podcast has completely shat the bed.

Im ostensibly a fan of dunphy and i have loved his arse hattery over the years.

But this standard of reportage is a disservice to us all.

I skip the football, skip the covid, skip Chris John's, skip Brendan o Neill. I enjoy Nicola Tallant, Niall Stanage, Naomi O'Reilly and yes started having Donie O'Sullivan on too, he's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The most recent football one was really shocking. Factual errors, lack of knowledge and very little insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Football is a bit predictable. When John Giles played for Leeds, we've heard it all before.

Brendan O'Neill is nothing but a moaner.

Otherwise the show is actually very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Football ones are instant delete.

Same narrative each week, I could write the script at this stage

bocaman wrote: »
    Football is a bit predictable. When John Giles played for Leeds, we've heard it all before.

Did John Giles play for Leeds? Back in the 60s maybe? It's so rarely brought up.

Agree though - apart from the annoying episodes the other ones are both entertaining and informative.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

A few weeks ago they had a bit of a special on Leeds as they're returning to the Premiership. Who better than Giles then to give a run through. Unfortunately he turned out to be the worst choice. He only concentrated on his years with Revie
    The Leeds story is far more interesting than just that time. After Revie came Clough and the decline and then Wilkinson (last team to win the old Div. 1) then collapse, then the dodgy Graham, then the weird O'Leary years and then the woeful Venables years..then oblivion until recent years under a really colourful manager. Throw in a pinch of Ridsdale, Bates and gambling your loans away for bit of seasoning and a Leeds United special episode would make one hell of an episilode.

But no, Giles banging on about the Revie years and that moment alone. In a Leeds special.

Advertisement