Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Let’s be real, Johnny has been off the pace for the last 10 years if not longer

He regularly veers into discussing Leeds in the 70s or Man U in the 60s when asked a question about something current. Or else repeats himself endlessly.

“So Johnny - What ya make of Liverpool’s start to the season” - “well in 73 I remember don revie got us all in a huddle....”

Still though it can be enjoyable just once you don’t expect anything different from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Just wondering if anybody listened or watched that documentary about John Delaney on TV3 the other night. Mark Tighe was interviewed about the whole thing. He referenced Dunphy a few times.

First, when discussing about Joe Delaney and his unorthodox methods for distributing tickets he said something like "Everybody was getting tickets out of the boot of Joe Delaney's car, if Eamon Dunphy wanted tickets he would get them from Joe Delaney out of the back of his car". And when discussing when Delaney first came to power, he said something like "Eamon Dunphy was heralding this as a great day". Seemed to be the first name he went to every time!

I just thought that it was funny that he threw him under the bus every time, given that Eamon had given Mark Tighe time to promote his book on the podcast. I wonder how Eamon felt watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Fairly sure Dunphy gave a lot of background info to him for the book. The whole first chapter is about JDs 50th from Dunphys point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Interesting piece about Dunphy's fractious relationship with Liam Brady in the 80's on the Journal. Shows what Dunphy's all about really. Runs with the hares and hunts with the hounds. Criticised him for years as a journalist, saying he was over rated and often mentioning Brady's wealth and him being a 'millionaire' and not looking interested when playing for Ireland. Really gave Brady a hard time by the looks of it. Then in typical Dunphy style at the 1990 World Cup he does a complete 360 degree u turn and rips into Jack Charlton for not playing this 'great' player. Dunphy is a complete spoofer with a nasty streak in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Flicking tru the channels on Saturday morning came across a 1974 crystal palace v charlton 3rd division game .
    The charlton number 10 was .... Dunphy .
    My god a glorified pub player .
    Even on a football pitch the man had no class .
    He had good company on the field ...playing for crystal palace was terry venables ....
    2 great spoofers .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

He’s your typical politician really. An answer for everything a solution for nothing.
    Every day sometimes twice a day just pure Brexit, Covid drivel on his podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I haven’t listened to any of his football podcasts in well over a year at this stage, there’s plenty other content out there that offer a bit of analysis rather than just opinion.

I always tune in to Niall Stanage and occasionally the crime ones, or if I’m really in the mood to be pissed off I’ll listen to Brendan O’Neill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Flicking tru the channels on Saturday morning came across a 1974 crystal palace v charlton 3rd division game .
    He had good company on the field ...playing for crystal palace was terry venables ....
    2 great spoofers .
    To be fair, I think he'd agree with you on his talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fairly sure Dunphy gave a lot of background info to him for the book. The whole first chapter is about JDs 50th from Dunphys point of view

The Sunday that the Delaney story broke, eamo was on the RTÉ Marian finicane show and basically said it’s a non story that will blow over.

I’ll never forget it as I’d naively expected him to take Delaney to task.

Eamo then waited a while and once he realized the John Delaney era was finished he swiftly jumped bandwagons and Tighe became his new best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Only the Stanage ones for me. Occasionally the Giles football shows if Ireland have a game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

Stanage, Mick Clifford and Nicola tallant are the main ones for me. Will listen to a odd other one if it sounds interesting.

The football with Giles and the crime with Tallant. One football pod on a Monday and once every month or so for the crime. I certainly don't come on to listen to Dunphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I've been a defender of Dunphy on here but he got some things drastically wrong on his last podcast with Tallant about the house of horrors and the murder of a baby.

He kept going on and on about how the child didn't get a proper burial. The child was buried in the Angel's plot in Glasnevin, there are Angel's plots in most graveyards and loads of stillborn babies and the likes are buried in them by choice of the parents and for him to keep going on about how this is not a proper burial is quite upsetting, not to mention wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I listen to the Stanage ones, Mick Clifford if he has him on and occasionally Chris Johns.

Not a fan of the gangland crime stuff, seems a bit sensationalist and tabloidy to me anytime I listen to it. Skip the football ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

2 great spoofers .

I’m not a fan of Dunphy at all as a person but football wise he went to England and made a decent career for himself. It sounds like he worked hard and got the best out of his ability; I don’t see how you can knock him for that. The alternative was probably working on a building site for peanuts. Fair played to him.
    Venables managed Barcelona & England among others. Many of the England players from his time said he was the best manager they played under. A cracking manager who funnily enough would have got the Ireland job if it wasn’t for Dunphy.

Decided to listen to today's football pod with Giles. They spent a few minutes discussing the greed of Sky & BT for forcing their customers to pay so much for the Pay Per View matches. Dunphy said he shelled out for the Liverpool - Sheffield United match, Giles wouldn't on principle.

2 things:
    1. The Liverpool match was on Premier Sports in Ireland, so Dunphy either lied when he said he paid for it, or made a bad choice in paying for it (I assume he already has the full Sky Sports pack).
    2. The cost of the matches that Sky & BT are charging is apparently the cost that is being charged to them by the Premier League, they are not extracting any sort of profit here. So while I agree entirely with their point re. greed, it's directed at the wrong people in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The one thing about Dunphy I think is that he jumps sides on certain issues. One week he'll advocate for a zero COVID strategy when speaking to Tomas Ryan. Next week he'll be chatting to Jim Power and call small businesses the life blood of the economy and how this has the potential for total economic catastrophe.

Dunphy has always been a flip flopping flake

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    o connor barely takes a breath to let Eamon talk. He's relentless

philip o connor is a social media super wanker

the biggest cock of a journalist to ever draw breath

Listened to this weeks football podcast there and Dunphy pontificating about the payper view for the Liverpool v Sheff Utd game said 'a lot of Liverpool fans wouldn't have much money'. A silly comment. Do Liverpool fans have less money than others on average? Was the game even on payper view? I'd rather Giles set up his own podcast as i find Dunphy to be insufferable.

Listened to this weeks football podcast there and Dunphy pontificating about the payper view for the Liverpool v Sheff Utd game said 'a lot of Liverpool fans wouldn't have much money'. A silly comment. Do Liverpool fans have less money than others on average? Was the game even on payper view? I'd rather Giles set up his own podcast as i find Dunphy to be insufferable.

Assuming it's fans in just Liverpool itself, probably would have lower income. This (I assume non-scientific) article from 2018 has them in lower half of league: https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-football-highest-earning-premier-league-supporters-have-been-revealed-20180802

And yes - it was PPV in UK. Premier Sports had it in Ireland though.

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    Assuming it's fans in just Liverpool itself, probably would have lower income. This (I assume non-scientific) article from 2018 has them in lower half of league: https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-football-highest-earning-premier-league-supporters-have-been-revealed-20180802

And yes - it was PPV in UK. Premier Sports had it in Ireland though.

Oh right that's how it works is it? So what if Dunphy said something like here in Ireland it is tough on Leitrim, Meath or Carlow or any other counties people to afford pay per view as they don't have much money? I don't think that would be a nice thing to say. Absolutely no need for saying that about Liverpool fans. Or any other fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Oh right that's how it works is it? So what if Dunphy said something like here in Ireland it is tough on Leitrim, Meath or Carlow or any other counties people to afford pay per view as they don't have much money? I don't think that would be a nice thing to say. Absolutely no need for saying that about Liverpool fans. Or any other fans.

Dunphy is a liverpool fan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Is it impossible for Dunphy to get other guests on? UK is mainly Chris Johns on an anti Boris Johnson and Dominic Cummings on repeat. But particularly in terms of US correspondence, Niall Stanage and himself just on a continuous anti-Trump rant where it’s very obviously pre rehearsed in terms of what issue of criticism they will float on to. No matter how passionate you are about hating Trump, it’s very tiresome.

Dunphy is a liverpool fan

I know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

My go to is the US weekly update but I'll be honest I'm tiring of Dunphy repeating the same tropes over and over. He's a bit alarmist with the Proud Boys and Trump telling them to stand by.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

But particularly in terms of US correspondence, Niall Stanage and himself just on a continuous anti-Trump rant where it’s very obviously pre rehearsed in terms of what issue of criticism they will float on to. No matter how passionate you are about hating Trump, it’s very tiresome.

Confused as to whether you actually listened to it or not ? Did you not hear Stanage talk about Biden tripping up over calling Trump George (referencing George Bush instead of Trump) and the fact the US media generally tried to gloss over it in Bidens favour.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Confused as to whether you actually listened to it or not ? Did you not hear Stanage talk about Biden tripping up over calling Trump George and the fact the US media generally tried to gloss over it in Bidens favour.

Yep, you are right. I turned off through the first portion of it. I'll go back to it.

The Biden clip is fairly terrifying, he's up against one person, he doesn't even know his name. What's just as terrifying is the fact that it comes down either of these washed up geriatric egomaniacs.

https://news.sky.com/video/share-12115358

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Confused as to whether you actually listened to it or not ? Did you not hear Stanage talk about Biden tripping up over calling Trump George (referencing George Bush instead of Trump) and the fact the US media generally tried to gloss over it in Bidens favour.

Listened back, there was roughly 60 seconds of Stanage trying to initiate a discussion on Biden's, what would you call it? Dementia?

You were right, Stanage made an effort. Dunphy ignored it and moved on as fast as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

Interesting piece about Dunphy's fractious relationship with Liam Brady in the 80's on the Journal. Shows what Dunphy's all about really. Runs with the hares and hunts with the hounds. Criticised him for years as a journalist, saying he was over rated and often mentioning Brady's wealth and him being a 'millionaire' and not looking interested when playing for Ireland. Really gave Brady a hard time by the looks of it. Then in typical Dunphy style at the 1990 World Cup he does a complete 360 degree u turn and rips into Jack Charlton for not playing this 'great' player. Dunphy is a complete spoofer with a nasty streak in him.

Been saying it for years. An absolute hypocrite who has done more u turns on things than most of us have had hot dinners. In relation to Brady specifically, I well remember a vicious article after Ireland had lost a Euro qualifier at Dalymount 3-2 to Holland having been 2-0 up ( with a young Rudd Gullit pulling the strings) . Dunphy savaged Brady afterwards. A quote that has always stuck in my mind "he is often spoken of as a great player, he is nothing of the kind." Now fast forward to the RTE panel where Dunphy would regularly refer to John and Liam as "great players". Remember him savaging Giles too after Saipan, when he dared to disagree with him over the Roy Keane issue. He said some really nasty things about Giles at the time. Giles proved himself to be the bigger man by even speaking to Dunphy again. Not sure I would have. He was happy to lick the arse of Delaney too while he was in power, which in the scheme of things is a far bigger crime. In Tighes book now he's trying to come across as sceptical about the whole thing. He was one of the few people at the time with the real profile and power to put the boot into Delaney, the way he did to every Irish manager. Not a squeak out of him though. Too busy sucking up to Delaney for Man U tickets.

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote: »
    Been saying it for years. An absolute hypocrite who has done more u turns on things than most of us have had hot dinners. In relation to Brady specifically, I well remember a vicious article after Ireland had lost a Euro qualifier at Dalymount 3-2 to Holland having been 2-0 up ( with a young Rudd Gullit pulling the strings) . Dunphy savaged Brady afterwards. A quote that has always stuck in my mind "he is often spoken of as a great player, he is nothing of the kind." Now fast forward to the RTE panel where Dunphy would regularly refer to John and Liam as "great players". Remember him savaging Giles too after Saipan, when he dared to disagree with him over the Roy Keane issue. He said some really nasty things about Giles at the time. Giles proved himself to be the bigger man by even speaking to Dunphy again. Not sure I would have. He was happy to lick the arse of Delaney too while he was in power, which in the scheme of things is a far bigger crime. In Tighes book now he's trying to come across as sceptical about the whole thing. He was one of the few people at the time with the real profile and power to put the boot into Delaney, the way he did to every Irish manager. Not a squeak out of him though. Too busy sucking up to Delaney for Man U tickets.

Not much of a fan of his but having read his book Rocky Road, from where he has come from and what he has achieved, I tip my hat to that.

He also has a huge amount of admiration for Jack Charlton, and has been and is very critical of Delaney. The opening chapter of Champagne football is a testament to this, its John Giles that should be getting the brunt of this criticism in terms of his association and handouts from that gimp Delaney.

Advertisement