Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Was shocked when I saw him first, he's gotten old alright. Good chat with Tommy though, he was getting emotional talking about his youth. Worth watching on player if you didn't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

With hair like that, in the UK, he'd be elected Prime Minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Dunphy is always getting emotional when he is interviewed in fairness.

Always looks seconds away from his voice breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He seems to be getting worse in terms of losing his emotions in interviews.
    Cries now at the drop of a hat.

Shocked too when I saw him on the TTS, he has aged badly. But always a legend in my book, always entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

NIMAN wrote: »
    He seems to be getting worse in terms of losing his emotions in interviews.
    Cries now at the drop of a hat.

Shocked too when I saw him on the TTS, he has aged badly. But always a legend in my book, always entertaining.

That's one thing from shifting to podcasts from in person shows has done, put people out of the limelight and we remember them as we last saw them.

Saw clips from a recent interview with the cast of The Sopranos and poor Tony Sirico who played Paulie, while he doesn't look so bad, must be suffering from some cognitive decline as he seems to be having trouble speaking. I had recently watched some episodes so seeing him like this was quite a shock. (Carmella and Uncle Jun looked like they hardly aged at all mind)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

He is 75 - indoors aswell pretty much for the last 12 months - what do you expect?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

He is 75 - indoors aswell pretty much for the last 12 months - what do you expect?!

Even pat kenny was going mad from being locked you could really hear in until recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Eamon on a week off??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Eamon on a week off??

He'll be back tomorrow:
    https://twitter.com/Dunphy_Official/status/1371406434764750848

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

There's a new episode out with Chris Johns this morning, based on the description it will be a carbon copy of the last 5 podcasts with this contributor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Has anyone listened to the new Jim Power and Chris Johns podcast yet? Might give it a go. Heard Eamon talking about it when he had Chris Johns on today.

Tomas Ryan on again.

I can't be the only one that thinks that he seems to push out the dates for things going back towards any sort of normal every time that he is on?

the ISAG group have some good points but it was also found in emails from them in Feb this year that one of their aims is to
    “Look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety and uncertainty"

in relation to Covid

Also
    they could count on “imagination” to “dream up many more consequences” than they themselves as “the threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.”

https://gript.ie/look-for-ways-to-increase-insecurity-anxiety-and-uncertainty-zero-covid-document/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Ryan wants the travel limit reduced to 2km. He basically said he wouldn't have reopened schools.
    And Dunphy never once mentioned the zeroleaks exposé to him.

I'm afraid The Stand is no more than a sham these days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

jay0109 wrote: »
    Ryan wants the travel limit reduced to 2km. He basically said he wouldn't have reopened schools.
    And Dunphy never once mentioned the zeroleaks exposé to him.

I'm afraid The Stand is no more than a sham these days

I found it interesting that he was in favour of having stricter restrictions in Dublin but lighter restrictions in Cork/Kerry. Don't think I've heard him advocating that before.

They do need to get someone else on to discuss Covid though, someone that's not a member of ISAG.

Eamo was ramping up the hysteria halfway through, describing seeing people "talking at street corners" and "smiling and laughing". He was apparently aghast when he saw these blaggards.

glasso wrote: »
    Tomas Ryan on again.

I can't be the only one that thinks that he seems to push out the dates for things going back towards any sort of normal every time that he is on?

the ISAG group have some good points but it was also found in emails from them in Feb this year that one of their aims is to

in relation to Covid

Also

https://gript.ie/look-for-ways-to-increase-insecurity-anxiety-and-uncertainty-zero-covid-document/

This is a bit disingenuous. That quote is not in relation to covid. That quote is directly from 13 rules for activists, written by someone who died 50 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

This is a bit disingenuous.

So are ISAG

Dunphy doesn't question anymore, it's a massive shame, it's just 5 podcasts on repeat.

Moving further and further down my podcasts list

This is a bit disingenuous. That quote is not in relation to covid. That quote is directly from 13 rules for activists, written by someone who died 50 years ago.

Well the instruction was to "review and internalise" these maxims.

no comment out of ISAG ....

Had also noticed myself that Ryan was changing the dates pretty significantly every time that he's on

it was paddy's day, then recently April

also an article on this sort of stuff

https://gript.ie/zeroleaks-how-zero-covids-science-isnt-science-at-all/

in the latest episode from Tomas with Eamo there was a dramatic push out to something about a semi-normal gathering next Christmas

:eek:

Far from the messiahs some would have you believe they are for sure

Well the instruction was to "review and internalise" these maxims.

no comment out of ISAG ....

Had also noticed myself that Ryan was changing the dates pretty significantly every time that he's on

it was paddy's day, then recently April

also an article on this sort of stuff

https://gript.ie/zeroleaks-how-zero-covids-science-isnt-science-at-all/

in the latest episode from Tomas with Eamo there was a dramatic push out to something about a semi-normal gathering next Christmas

:eek:

Far from the messiahs some would have you believe they are for sure

Forgive me if I trust a group of experts over John McGuirk's spin

McGuirk is not promoting himself as the Covid lockdown oracle(s), ISAG are

you can see from their internal communication files that they are just making it up as they go along as regards timelines

Tomas Ryan himself is an Assistant Professor in the

School of Biochemistry & Immunology
    Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institutes
    & Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience
    Trinity College Dublin (TCD)

his major field of study is neuroscience

Nothing to do with epidemiology

McGuirk is not promoting himself as the Covid lockdown oracle(s), ISAG are

you can see from their internal communication files that they are just making it up as they go along as regards timelines

Tomas Ryan himself is an Assistant Professor in the

School of Biochemistry & Immunology
    Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institutes
    & Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience
    Trinity College Dublin (TCD)

his major field of study is neuroscience

Nothing to do with epidemiology

Whereas John McGuirk is a trustworthy source?? He's redacted and cherry picked some emails. McGuirk is a political spinster. It's not even that convincing.

We've butted heads multiple times on this topic so I think this is kinda fruitless. I'll take Ryan's and ISAG's advice, a group of experts across multiple disciplines; you can listen to John McGuirk.

• Advertisement

again, McGuirk is not providing any advice on Covid

comparing ISAG to him is not relevant in this context and terribly weak as a rebuttal

he's merely showing what they expressed in their communications

as said, I'd noticed myselft that they move the goalposts literally every week before seeing the gript piece on same

I acknowledged that ISAG make some salient points but their storyline is far from consistent and they have been treading this "hurler on the ditch" line for far too long now - losing credibility

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'm not a fan of McGuirk but in fairness somebody obviously leaked ISAG's internal emails and he printed them. So either the emails are genuine or they are not. And given they've never denied their veracity, we must conclude that they probably are genuine. And it doesn't reflect well on them. Not that they've ever been questioned about it.

I'm not a fan of McGuirk but in fairness somebody obviously leaked ISAG's internal emails and he printed them. So either the emails are genuine or they are not. And given they've never denied their veracity, we must conclude that they probably are genuine. And it doesn't reflect well on them. Not that they've ever been questioned about it.

It's all very sketchy. A few screenshots of a supposedly leaked e-mail, that contains a few copy and pasted lines from another work. I'd need a bit more proof before I was convinced of ISAG's nefarious plotting. It's pretty far from proof of anything, in my view.

I found it telling that McGuirk never even mentioned the content of those emails when he was on the show himself, he even said he didn't doubt ISAG's "good faith". Seems curious, considering how explosive it was all made out to be.

And he's fond of making claims:

https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-eirigi-apology-5385501-Mar2021/

McGuirk and his organisation aren't all that credible IMO.

For the record, I think zero-Covid is a fantasy at this stage of the game and some of the claims made by ISAG seem very fanciful. I don't think the public buy in would be there for such an approach and it's doubtful whether it's achievable - but I wouldn't dismiss everything they have to say.

And while Thomas Ryan has got a few things wrong throughout all this - who hasn't - he was absolutely bang on about a few things - repeating lockdowns, putting travel restrictions on the long finger leading to trouble, the need to really enhance the testing and tracing system during the summer when people were done hearing about it - so his credibility isn't entirely shot.

And while he may not be an epidemiologist himself, there's many who work in that field that are members of the ISAG and he's not really deviating from their proposals in any meaningful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

I found it interesting that he was in favour of having stricter restrictions in Dublin but lighter restrictions in Cork/Kerry. Don't think I've heard him advocating that before.

They do need to get someone else on to discuss Covid though, someone that's not a member of ISAG.

Eamo was ramping up the hysteria halfway through, describing seeing people "talking at street corners" and "smiling and laughing". He was apparently aghast when he saw these blaggards.

Cause it has been established that Tomas Ryan is peddling fake news, unlike Steven Donnelly .

Arghus wrote: »

And while Thomas Ryan has got a few things wrong throughout all this - who hasn't - he was absolutely bang on about a few things - repeating lockdowns, putting travel restrictions on the long finger leading to trouble, the need to really enhance the testing and tracing system during the summer when people were done hearing about it - so his credibility isn't entirely shot.

no it isn't.

but there was also pretty much zero-questioning of the ISAG output in the media heretofore so imo no harm that this "leak" has happened to at least provide some balance to the conversation

Bit fractious at times between Dunphy and Naomi O' Leary. She sounded a bit exasperated with his line of questioning at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Bit fractious at times between Dunphy and Naomi O' Leary. She sounded a bit exasperated with his line of questioning at times.

Thought so too Arghus. Even though (as previously said on this thread) NOL can sound like the voice of the EU; Eammo is very Anglocentric in his perspective. She seemed to be very frustrated with him at times. First time I’ve heard that dynamic between them.

O'Leary is more than a bit of a Euro shill I think that it's fair to say.

Eamo started asking a couple of questions questioning the EU vaccine procurement strategy and she got a bit narky from there and the tone persisted for the rest of the podcast.

I don't think that he was being unreasonable in the questions that he asked tbh.

The EU put in a large order for the dead-duck Sanofi (French) vaccine in mid-to-late September 2020 even though it was clear at that point that it was way off schedule. 300 million doses of a vaccine that will not be ready until 2022 at the earliest.

The UK did also order some of this vaccine but nearly 2 months earlier when it was not looking such a bad prospect.

That right there is fair part of the reason that the EU is so far behind given that the EU 27 population is 444 million or so.

No mention of it at all in the podcast which only discussed EU vaccine progress or lack thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Eamo has always been a self confessed Euro sceptic. While NOL often sounds like a spokesperson for the EU. So there was definitely an undercurrent to the interview that is usually not there with Eamo's usual soft sop interview style. NOL got a bit cranky with him at one point.

NOL can be quite interesting at times but getting her to be even mildly critical of the EU is like getting blood from a stone and has to be dragged oiut of her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I remember a few years ago, the pissed Eamo appearing on Vincent Browne with Dermot Morgan was posted on this thread, KillianM2 posted this yesterday, Jesus there's real venom in it.

Advertisement