Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I remember a few years ago, the pissed Eamo appearing on Vincent Browne with Dermot Morgan was posted on this thread, KillianM2 posted this yesterday, Jesus there's real venom in it.

I'll post it again because it's absolute dynamite. Eamo doesn't come off particularly well in the conversation with Dermot. Some of the digs are so salty. Dunphy starts off thinking he's going to hold his own - it's s all going to be a laugh - but by the end he's properly wound up.

"Tell us what you think Dermot - or what you half think."

"Oh, I wouldn't want to mix it with an intellectual."

Dunphy was pissed drunk and completely obnoxious in that radio piece

but hardly bears any comparison to his conversation with O'Leary

in this conversation she lost her cool on the exchange, not Dunphy

Dunphy's questions were reasonable

The EU vaccination programme is a sh1tshow - got a good price on the Pfizer vaccine compared to other countries (AstraZeneca one is cheap anyways) but the contracts clauses on delivery priority were poorly negotiated and now countries like Ireland are going to suffer longer lockdowns and economic damage as a result

Some EU countries like Denmark have managed to make a better fist of it by doing things like using better syringe technology to get more yield from the vaccine and managing to buy some additional vaccines themselves

But Ireland's government has lacked leadership in this regard and executed the usual EU spoon-fed compliance line

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I remember a few years ago, the pissed Eamo appearing on Vincent Browne with Dermot Morgan was posted on this thread, KillianM2 posted this yesterday, Jesus there's real venom in it.

That's hilarious, need more radio like that these days!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Arghus wrote: »
    I'll post it again because it's absolute dynamite. Eamo doesn't come off particularly well in the conversation with Dermot. Some of the digs are so salty. Dunphy starts off thinking he's going to hold his own - its all going to be a laugh - but by the end he's properly wound up.

Never heard that before, absolute gold

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

A double helping of Tomas Ryan this week. Eamon you are spoiling us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

A double helping of Tomas Ryan this week. Eamon you are spoiling us.

Thought it was interesting he mentioned before todays the messages he'd received complaining about his coverage, never said what the complaints were about just that they were wrong

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I was surprised at Eamon letting people get his back up with regards to his show. He went on a defensive rant (ok "rant" is a bit strong) at the beginning and end. It appears his show has been getting grief over the position him and his guests are taking over the handling of the Covid.
    He should just let that blow over him and not be putting in defenses of the show during the show, if ye get me? It kinda takes up listening space that's not worth listening to. If the host/show is getting grief I don't need to hear about it.

I'm not a fan of Ryan or Eamon's thoughts on how to handle Covid but my thoughts on their thoughts are insignificant to Eamon's show. Surely there's someone in Eamon's life that could give him advice on handling negative points of view better than airing them on the Podcast.

Yesterday's Footy show was laughable and infuriating. Eamon apologised twice for not allowing Giles to speak. Eamon was making the case for Duffy, McClean and a few other heads he thought should have started in the V. Serbia game. Then went on in saying that Kenny should be given time to evolve the team.
    Eamon was naming a Martin O'Neill squad and saying Kenny should be allowed time to evolve the squad and tactics but play with a Martin O'Neill Top 11 Barn-Stormers?

The show made zero sense, was laughably un-thought through and had way too much of Eamon yapping on in contradictory circles. It was one of the few times I wanted to hear more of what Don Revie would have done differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

humberklog wrote: »
    I was surprised at Eamon letting people get his back up with regards to his show. He went on a defensive rant (ok "rant" is a bit strong) at the beginning and end. It appears his show has been getting grief over the position him and his guests are taking over the handling of the Covid.
    He should just let that blow over him and not be putting in defenses of the show during the show, if ye get me? It kinda takes up listening space that's not worth listening to. If the host/show is getting grief I don't need to hear about it.

Eamon's podcast has basically become the unofficial zero Covid podcast. I'm fine with them getting an airing but it's fairly relentless how much coverage they get on the pod. I think this has annoyed a fair amount of listeners. I mean I haven't listened to today's episode but is Tomas Ryan saying anything new today that he wasn't saying 6 days ago when he was last on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Yeah, the football show was very irritating the other day. I'm well used to them repeating themselves, but not quite so often in the same podcast. John seems to love McClean. He'd previously advocated playing him up front. On what basis, I've no idea. Seemed like neither of them had any idea he was nowhere near fit the other night.

Auld Giles said at least 4 times that he wasn't a fan of 3 at the back.

Mind you, that was mainly because Dunphy asked him 4 times what he thought of 3 at the back.

• Advertisement

What are the odds that Eamo does a 360 when he gets his second jab?

Tomas Ryan is permanently banned from the show, he's back on the bag for a last hurrah and the guards are called to a house party in Ranelagh?

Cans and fags baby, that's showbiz!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭robwen

Where does Eamo get the feedback, is he on Twitter or some social media?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

robwen wrote: »
    Where does Eamo get the feedback, is he on Twitter or some social media?

https://thestandwitheamondunphy.com/contact/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Arghus wrote: »
    I'll post it again because it's absolute dynamite. Eamo doesn't come off particularly well in the conversation with Dermot. Some of the digs are so salty. Dunphy starts off thinking he's going to hold his own - it's s all going to be a laugh - but by the end he's properly wound up.

Having listened back I think a sober Dunphy debating Morgan would have been great radio, he just comes across as horrible in that clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

A bit off topic but saw Eamonn on Tommy Tiernan a few weeks back. I know he's 75 but he nearly looked older. And in his attitude too. The fire was gone. Just mellow and overly emotional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

So are ISAG

Dunphy doesn't question anymore, it's a massive shame, it's just 5 podcasts on repeat.

Moving further and further down my podcasts list

That'll break his heart.

Forgive me if I trust a group of experts over John McGuirk's spin

John McGuirk is a bigot, anyone quoting, retweeting etc his ****e is not someone to be paying any attention to, its not a good look.

Dunphy, Giles and Brady were really missed in analysing tonight's game v Luxembourg on RTE.

Stephen Ward (absolutely anaemic), Kenny Cunningham (boring as hell), Richie Sadlier (the only passable pundit). The panel tonight could hardly express themselves. The dumbing down of analysis.

• Advertisement

Whereas John McGuirk is a trustworthy source?? He's redacted and cherry picked some emails. McGuirk is a political spinster. It's not even that convincing.

We've butted heads multiple times on this topic so I think this is kinda fruitless. I'll take Ryan's and ISAG's advice, a group of experts across multiple disciplines; you can listen to John McGuirk.

McGuirk is a conservative bigot and a serial loser at the ballot box.

Dunphy, Giles and Brady were really missed in analysing tonight's game v Luxembourg on RTE.

Stephen Ward (absolutely anaemic), Kenny Cunningham (boring as hell), Richie Sadlier (the only passable pundit). The panel tonight could hardly express themselves. The dumbing down of analysis.

Cunningham is nuts, why does he always have to qualify his statements by saying things like 'possession of the football' instead of simply 'possession'? Its hardly a double decker bus hes referring to, we all know its the ball, no need to qualify it.

glasso wrote: »
    again, McGuirk is not providing any advice on Covid

comparing ISAG to him is not relevant in this context and terribly weak as a rebuttal

he's merely showing what they expressed in their communications

as said, I'd noticed myselft that they move the goalposts literally every week before seeing the gript piece on same

I acknowledged that ISAG make some salient points but their storyline is far from consistent and they have been treading this "hurler on the ditch" line for far too long now - losing credibility

Hes seeking to denigrate the advice of others, without countering it with facts and analysis of his own. He's a horrible twat, and doesnt deserve the time of day.

Cunningham is nuts, why does he always have to qualify his statements by saying things like 'possession of the football' instead of simply 'possession'? Its hardly a double decker bus hes referring to, we all know its the ball, no need to qualify it.

Absolutely.

For the first 5/6 years he commented everything was prefaced by 'possibly so'!! He was a possibly so merchant.

I would have loved to hear the old gang analyse tonight. Where do the see us going? Kenny's position etc.

Worst I remember since the Staunton Cyprus games and the draw in Lichenstein in 1995. The latter was worse given the players we had and Lichenstein's population is the same as County Carlow, 40,000, while Luxembourg is around 500,000.

Sad to witness our decline. In the 60s/70s we were way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

We hear what Dunphy and Giles have to say about the Irish team on the podcast. It’s generally a mess. Giles does not talk sense anymore.

We hear what Dunphy and Giles have to say about the Irish team on the podcast. It’s generally a mess. Giles does not talk sense anymore.

Suppose he's 80 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Suppose he's 80 now.

Yes he is 80, we’ll all probably be the same as him if we’re still sucking air.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Thesomersarms

If you break down the ten games kennys been in charge they never look threatening & he has zero plan in the final third,that is damning and he must take accountability for that.I see us close to losing every other match under him because of the final third issue,he’s lost at sea Yet the pundits won’t state the obvious, I miss Dunphy as a pundit for highlighting the truth, cunningham was cowardly last night

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Mod note: plenty of heated, unacceptable posts. I'm locking the thread to give it a break and for mods to assess what actions need to be taken. Thank you to those alerting us so quickly.

Update: The thread is now unlocked. Please remember to be civil, and if you think someone is trolling, please report and don't engage. All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The football podcasts badly need another voice other than Giles. I love John but come on, mix it up a bit. Giles is just repeating the same stuff over and over (much like Tomas Ryan).
    We need to hear other opinions. Where did Brady and Didi go? Didi in particular was very good but it’s been an age since either were on.

Advertisement