Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Still Ill

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Stone roses, love spreads.

Aren't you thinking of his Last Word intro? Or is his pod intro a different bit of the song I forget?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

Is it actually from a song? Just tried to Shazam it and no result

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

steve_r wrote: »
    Is it actually from a song? Just tried to Shazam it and no result

I assumed it was just some random generic thing you license for podcast and other things. Doesn’t sound like an actual song.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Sounds very like Crossroads by Cream, but it's faster than that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Still Ill wrote: »
    Aren't you thinking of his Last Word intro? Or is his pod intro a different bit of the song I forget?

No he's thinking of TLW. The pod intro isn't The Stone Roses. Dunno who it is.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    No he's thinking of TLW. The pod intro isn't The Stone Roses. Dunno who it is.

Yeah... That's what I said! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Still Ill wrote:

That's bizarre. You're right, it's not the stone roses. Or anything like it really. Think I was mixed up with the last word maybe!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Whatever it is it's bloody loud!
    Always catches me out when I'm going from one pod cast to that one and the intro music comes on.

Always catches me out when I'm going from one pod cast to that one and the intro music comes on.

Haha.. Yeah! It's so so irritating when I'm cycling and I go from Second Captains to Dunphy.. Blows the ears off of me sometimes when I have it turned up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

It's a horrible theme tune, whatever it is. Loud guitar intros must be Eamon's thing. At a guess, it's probably some sort of generic copyright free thing that he doesn't have to pay royalties for.

Tork wrote: »
    It's a horrible theme tune, whatever it is. Loud guitar intros must be Eamon's thing. At a guess, it's probably some sort of generic copyright free thing that he doesn't have to pay royalties for.

may like to think that he's Rock 'n' Roll but Muzak is probably more his speed in reality!

I’m being nosey here, but do we have any idea what sort of money Dunphy is making with the podcast? It’s consistently up near the top of the Irish charts. I know he mentioned that podcasting was something he long wanted to do, and it suits him. I also know he’s very fond of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Would be interested to know the economics of it too

On face of it the only income he generates from it is the sponsorship?

Don’t think any of the podcast platforms pay

I'd say it's just the Tesco money he's getting, unless he gets a few bob from Putin for giving that Russian lackey airtime? The podcast is unlikely to have big overheads. He uses Soundcloud and a paid hosting package with them costs just under €100 per year. After that, I assume he's mostly paying the humans. The person who helps produce, edit and upload the podcasts and the contributors. They're probably not getting a lot.

impossible to know how much he gets

re the podcast he's getting over 1 million streams a month so it's worth something to Tesco

maybe he gets 200k a year?

25k production and editing costs? (guess)

would he be paying many of the contributors? probably very little - €100 a pop maybe.

I doubt he gets anywhere near €200k a year. If sponsors were throwing money at podcasts, would they really be full of adverts and bonus Patreon material? I think Eamo is benefitting from getting into the podcast game early, building up an audience and being a fairly simple operation.

I doubt he gets anywhere near €200k a year. If sponsors were throwing money at podcasts, would they really be full of adverts and bonus Patreon material? I think Eamo is benefitting from getting into the podcast game early, building up an audience and being a fairly simple operation.

He does have great brand recognition at this stage when it comes to who his sponsor is. I don't shop there, but I do associate the store with his podcast.

I get the feeling he would do the podcast anyway, as it's the ideal format for a lad who always wants to be part of the wider discussion about current affairs in Ireland. I say that as someone who listens to most of the shows, and really likes Dunphy in general.

Can't help but think there's a bit of a bubble in the podcast scene at the moment. Maybe Patreon are going to offer a subscription service in the hope they, and the podcasters, get a pay out when they get bought by Spotify or Microsoft. I do think the era of free-to-air podcasting is going to come to an end unless there's a way of monetising it.

A licence fee for example!

may not be a million miles off that at all....

advertising cost per 1,000 listeners is $18 for a 30 second ad on standard podcast rates currently - let's call it 15 euro

https://www.advertisecast.com/podcast-advertising-rates

over 1 million listens a month - call it 1.1 million. that's 1,100 x 1,000 listeners

therefore 15 euro x 1,100 = 16,500 is the monthly value to Tesco even though he often mentions Tesco twice in the pod

12 x 16,500 = €198,000 per year.

you'd want to be a fool to think that the money paid is not correlated to listeners

that's the only income - the gross

less 25k production, editing, podcast hosting etc

less average 100 a go for contributor - that's 700 a week as he's averaging 1 a day or so - that's 35k a year

so 60k costs off that.

He does have great brand recognition at this stage when it comes to who his sponsor is. I don't shop there, but I do associate the store with his podcast.

I get the feeling he would do the podcast anyway, as it's the ideal format for a lad who always wants to be part of the wider discussion about current affairs in Ireland. I say that as someone who listens to most of the shows, and really likes Dunphy in general.

Can't help but think there's a bit of a bubble in the podcast scene at the moment. Maybe Patreon are going to offer a subscription service in the hope they, and the podcasters, get a pay out when they get bought by Spotify or Microsoft. I do think the era of free-to-air podcasting is going to come to an end unless there's a way of monetising it.

A licence fee for example!

have you heard of advertising?

ad-supported podcasts are here to stay, notwithstanding the small amount of them that will be behind paywalls.

• Advertisement

Do those rates apply to Ireland?

I've noticed that every man and his dog has started a podcast since Covid kicked in. If they were that lucrative before this, why weren't they doing them then?

Do those rates apply to Ireland?

I've noticed that every man and his dog has started a podcast since Covid kicked in. If they were that lucrative before this, why weren't they doing them then?

if you look at the link they are US rates but the lowest end of the rates there

average wages in Ireland are higher the US so value of a listener should be at least comparable.

for a podcast of his listenership per episode you'd actually be looking at $22 per 1,000 if you check the table in the link. I used $18 in the calcs

any muppet can start a podcast

not every muppet can get consistent listener volume

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

Can’t speak to the other figures, but 25k seems very low for production costs. He puts out nearly a podcast a day, which I presume means he must nearly have a full time production/sound person. If they’re any good at all, I imagine they’re going to be closer to double that cost.

bamayang wrote: »
    Can’t speak to the other figures, but 25k seems very low for production costs. He puts out nearly a podcast a day, which I presume means he must nearly have a full time production/sound person. If they’re any good at all, I imagine they’re going to be closer to double that cost.

yes I don't know the real figures there

can get an idea here for US-priced services

https://www.podcastinsights.com/podcast-editing-services/#:~:text=The%20Podcast%20Creative,-The%20Podcast%20Creative&text=Prices%20for%20shows%20between%2030,%2C%20show%20notes%2C%20and%20transcription.

very much doubt he is employing a full-time person for it and is hiring their services.

I still think that it's doable for 25k - maybe 30k a year going on the services priced above.

its pretty much a commodity service.

If podcasts are that lucrative, why have many of them added Patreon to their options? I find it very hard to believe Dunphy is pulling in €200k a year from this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Pity he keeps giving Tomas Ryan a platform to spout his fear and hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭robwen

This is the team, 4 in all including Eamon & the wife,

https://thestandwitheamondunphy.com/team/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Akesh wrote: »
    Pity he keeps giving Tomas Ryan a platform to spout his fear and hysteria.

Thought Eamon might use him less now that he's got his MHQ but Eamon has a Wes Hoolohan type love affair with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Tork wrote:
    If podcasts are that lucrative, why have many of them added Patreon to their options? I find it very hard to believe Dunphy is pulling in €200k a year from this

One full page colour advert in the Irish Times is 34,000. If Dunphy is pulling in a million streams a month is it that inconceivable that Tesco would pay less than half that (16,000) a month for exclusive sponsorship. Tesco spent nearly 100 million euros on advertisement in the UK last year and are increasingly going towards digital. Dunphy is probably the highest profile journalist in Ireland not working in the mainstream media so he is an outlier compared to most other Irish podcasters. I'd imagine his listeners would be fairly coveted by advertisers too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Tork wrote:

Because most dont have a sponsor like Tesco

Advertisement