Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The fact that Dunphy still has podcasts with that RT journalist is a disgrace, immediate delete for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

dulpit wrote: »
    The fact that Dunphy still has podcasts with that RT journalist is a disgrace, immediate delete for me...

So long as you understand the bias I don't see an issue. It's interesting to hear the RT journalist's take. I've not listened to it yet but will later.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

So long as you understand the bias I don't see an issue. It's interesting to hear the RT journalist's take. I've not listened to it yet but will later.

Totally agree. And he sometimes shines a light on the hypocrisy of the west very well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I'd much rather listen to an episode with the RT guy than another Johnson or US/Trump episode again. Might not agree with all he says but its an interesting perspective all the same.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Japers, imagine if Eamon came on and said there will be no more Bryan because he works for RT. Then who's next for the chopping block?
    Within a month it would be just him and Chris Johns playing keepy-ups out the back garden reminiscing about Blair "The 90's years" and arguing who was best- Blur or Oasis and saying how surprised they were to see Polenta being sold in Asda.

I've said a few times on here how ridiculous I think Bryan is but it's very interesting to listen to for a number of reasons. And he makes me laugh, a lot!

I miss Brendan O'Neill too, he was great crack.

• Advertisement

The RT guy is not a bad spin merchant - he has some of his points well-researched in fairness

e.g. the bit about the West diverting planes in the past vis-a-vis the Belarus incident last weekend.

At the worst it's entertaining to listen how he will spin things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

I think anybody who listens to the podcast will have figured out for themselves that this Russia Today guy has a rather unique spin on things. At least he's entertaining and worth listening to, unlike Brendan O'Neill. I used to enjoy listening to Cal Thomas on Matt Cooper's show for similar reasons - this was before Cal swallowed too much of the Trump Kool-Aid and went off the deep end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

glasso wrote: »
    The RT guy is not a bad spin merchant - he has some of his points well-researched in fairness

e.g. the bit about the West diverting planes in the past vis-a-vis the Belarus incident last weekend.

At the worst it's entertaining to listen how he will spin things.

I do enjoy the Russian guy, the blatant Russian propaganda is kinda hilarious. But him engaging in what aboutisms is a Fox News tactic, used when you can’t defend something.
    But it is true the west and Russia are engaged in all sorts of indefensible actions... Russia are just a bit more extreme and blatant about it. It’s big news that the US government were tracking a cnn journalist electronically, in Russia or Russian satellite states, it’s either prison or a bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Klonker wrote: »
    I'd much rather listen to an episode with the RT guy than another Johnson or US/Trump episode again. Might not agree with all he says but its an interesting perspective all the same.

IMHO The RT guy got boring fast....

Every chance he gets He minimises Russian wrongdoing and engages in what aboutery

you have to go into it with a mindset of enjoying the spin construction

he also makes small concessions on Russia's behaviour sometimes as a little move towards appearing balanced.

only little things of course but fun to spot the pre-conceived argument construction

he does use whataboutery but also usually doesn't ignore the addressing of issues completely like the pure 100% whataboutery which does completely ignore the original issue that you encounter on places like... boards for example :pac:

and at least it's well-researched at times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Eamon keeps ****ting out the “right wing hacks journalist and after dinner speakers” line it’s embarrassing. I wonder do people come up to Chris jons and get to say the line like the liam neeson taken thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

He needs to stop repeating these sort of quotes. They're the equivalent of a comedian making a funny joke and then beating it into the ground and killing its funniness. He hasn't had a Swedish episode for a while but if he does, he's going to mention those Tegnell tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I think some of the repeating of the same lines is simply “senior moments”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I think some of the repeating of the same lines is simply “senior moments”.

Yeah. I think so. One of those tics that come with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Eamon keeps ****ting out the “right wing hacks journalist and after dinner speakers” line it’s embarrassing. I wonder do people come up to Chris jons and get to say the line like the liam neeson taken thing.

Started off amusing, quickly became annoying and now it's embarrassing like you say. Even Johns must be irked at this stage.

Another thing that's annoying is the fawning introduction of his guests. I assume they are being paid for their contributions so I don't see the need to introduce them like they are the next coming.

Aidric wrote: »
    Started off amusing, quickly became annoying and now it's embarrassing like you say. Even Johns must be irked at this stage.

Another thing that's annoying is the fawning introduction of his guests. I assume they are being paid for their contributions so I don't see the need to introduce them like they are the next coming.

If my listening habits are any reflection of the wider podcast listening ilk then the bottom of the barrel has burst from under the stand. Theres a serious Trump /brexit shaped hole in the numbers only a Johnson meltdown will solve the issue I think. The long winded intros of late strike me as deliberate time wasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Another one of Eamonn's favourite quotes is Trump's "stand back and stand by".

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Another one of Eamonn's favourite quotes is Trump's "stand back and stand by".

It is true to say, is it not, that Donald Trump has effectively taken over the Republican Party? This is the party of Abraham Lincoln! And it has been taken over by a reality TV star

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

No major problem with Niall Stanage but he is a bit stiff and doesn't really want to offer analysis, much more comfortable as a news reporter who doesn't get mixed up with bias.

I'd like to hear from a contributor on US politics who could do the Chris John's job. Bigger picture stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No major problem with Niall Stanage but he is a bit stiff and doesn't really want to offer analysis, much more comfortable as a news reporter who doesn't get mixed up with bias.

I'd like to hear from a contributor on US politics who could do the Chris John's job. Bigger picture stuff.

Yeah, even though everyone calls for reporters to be impartial, when they appear on podcasts which are very much discussion focused rather than breaking news or updates then they come across as somewhat redundant.

Having a commentator who can provide up to date info as well as nuanced interpretation of it is more interesting but can then lead to them being viewed as being biased.

Sometimes its easier to have the likes of the Michael Graham's on who are unashamedly leaning in one direction and a corresponding contributor who leans the other way but costs usually mean they appear separately rather than in a debate format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I like the fact that Stanage tries to be as impartial as he can be, he's a blessed relief compared to many other talking heads that pop up elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I get the impartiality argument but I just think in a 30-40 minute podcast hosted by Eamon Dunphy, the listener is primarily there to hear thought provoking analysis as opposed to a simple news report of 'what happened and when'.

That's why Chris John's is probably a majority of listeners favourite guest. He calls a spade a spade when it comes to Brexit, the Tories and Johnson but his greatest skill is giving context to topics and filling in gaps in our knowledge with his own analysis.

Having said all that, I'd take the single impartial contributor approach over the model of bringing on disingenious grifters like Brendan O' Neill or Cal Thomas on TodayFM who are simply saying mad stuff to earn a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think Stanage's analysis is there, but he doesn't make the interviews about his analysis, if you know what I'm getting at.

Dunphy with Giles and Hamann euro preview was a desperately poor effort I thought in comparison to others that I've listened to.

Not a modicum of research whatsoever and just some idle bants covering a few teams.

Have we heard the last of Tomas Ryan given that his apocalyptic "opening up" prophesies have not come to pass?

(hopefully we have because he'll likely only be on if some variant takes over and sends us back to square one)

edit - jaysus he was on I see - didn't listen to it yet - seems to be focusing on scaring young people now from the summary notes.

probably not the demographic listening to Dunphy.

Did i miss a Pod? The latest one on the Euros only had Didi on and it was pretty good as Didi was fairly good across a few teams.

Tomas during the week was kinda given the opportunity to expand on what might lay in the future re Long Covid. He didn't mention anything about his worry for pregnant women and foetus. Big missed opportunity there for Tomas or maybe such chit-chat is best saved for ISAG pow-wows or maybe it was nonsense.
    Who knows.

yes just Didi Hamann

it was so instantly forgettable that I mistakenly thought that Giles might have been on it.

thought that it was really terrible in comparison to ones from others like "The totally football show" and even OTB.

humberklog wrote: »
    Did i miss a Pod? The latest one on the Euros only had Didi on and it was pretty good as Didi was fairly good across a few teams.

Tomas during the week was kinda given the opportunity to expand on what might lay in the future re Long Covid. He didn't mention anything about his worry for pregnant women and foetus. Big missed opportunity there for Tomas or maybe such chit-chat is best saved for ISAG pow-wows or maybe it was nonsense.
    Who knows.

Any link to this

Any link to this

Nah, but if you put it into Twitter you might find it. Here's my original post on it last month after seeing him say it...

I wonder will Eamon bring up with Tomas Ryan his latest suggestion that Covid could be linked to autism at foetal stage.
    Will Tomas will have dug up some data to back up this fairly alarming claim by the next episode?

So you're looking at going back to mid May to find Tomas on a Zoom call with ISAG where he says it.

Have we heard the last of Tomas Ryan given that his apocalyptic "opening up" prophesies have not come to pass?

Yet!

• Advertisement

yes just Didi Hamann

it was so instantly forgettable that I mistakenly thought that Giles might have been on it.

thought that it was really terrible in comparison to ones from others like "The totally football show" and even OTB.

It was certainly weaker than any other football pod that I've heard but far better than I expected...because I expected Giles to be on.

I know a lot of people like Giles, I do too but I don't think he's up to talking about football in the present tense.

Advertisement