Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Yeah very true on the Ireland game, I really think MON would be under much more pressure to leave if the nations league was on RTE. Most people werent bothered to watch because they dont have Sky and we're playing bad so theres no incentive to go to the pub to watch. 
    There seems to be a lot of people saying we dont have the players and letting MON off the hook a bit but havent seen the last few games where we look to have no game plan or organisation

I was surprised about how obvious they made it sound about simple aspects of the game that MON is apparently ignoring (e.g. preparing the wall for freekicks). I think you're right, if this was on RTE people would be much more up in arms than now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

dulpit wrote: »
    Yeah very true on the Ireland game, I really think MON would be under much more pressure to leave if the nations league was on RTE. Most people werent bothered to watch because they dont have Sky and we're playing bad so theres no incentive to go to the pub to watch. 
    There seems to be a lot of people saying we dont have the players and letting MON off the hook a bit but havent seen the last few games where we look to have no game plan or organisation

I was surprised about how obvious they made it sound about simple aspects of the game that MON is apparently ignoring (e.g. preparing the wall for freekicks). I think you're right, if this was on RTE people would be much more up in arms than now.

Well with respect that’s because RTÉ have rallied against every manager that we ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Enjoying the pods lately, naturally avoided the two interviews with the stooges.

Clifford is a great man, he should be doing his own podcast series. Always feel I learn something relevant and meaningful when he's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I usually like Ewan McKenna but didn't like him having a go at Rory McIlroy or the game of golf. Was complete nonsense.

Criticised McIlroy for playing golf with Trump then he says he hugely admires Tiger Woods but doesn't mention the fact that tiger is good friends with Trump and regularly plays golf with him. Also has a go at him over the Olympics but forgets to mention that Shane lowry did the exact same.

Stick to what you know Ewan.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I usually like Ewan McKenna but didn't like him having a go at Rory McIlroy or the game of golf. Was complete nonsense.

Criticised McIlroy for playing golf with Trump then he says he hugely admires Tiger Woods but doesn't mention the fact that tiger is good friends with Trump and regularly plays golf with him. Also has a go at him over the Olympics but forgets to mention that Shane lowry did the exact same.

Stick to what you know Ewan.

Unless I wasn't paying attention closely (quite possible) he didn't praise Tiger either, was commenting on how so few black people play golf, Dunphy came to his defence though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

dulpit wrote: »
    Unless I wasn't paying attention closely (quite possible) he didn't praise Tiger either, was commenting on how so few black people play golf, Dunphy came to his defence though.

McIlroy is a saint compared to Woods

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

No chance McGregor or John Kavanagh didn't want to deal with Ewan MacKenna because he's a complete arsehole..

Eamo really knocking out the shows.. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Dunphy hasn't a notion about MMA.

He had Phillip o Connor on last week, Ewan Mckenna this week.

Openly admits he doesn't know any other names in the sport, and seems to have a really condescending tone every time he talks about it.

As an MMA fan both podcasts annoyed me.

D.Q wrote: »
    Dunphy hasn't a notion about MMA.

He had Phillip o Connor on last week, Ewan Mckenna this week.

Openly admits he doesn't know any other names in the sport, and seems to have a really condescending tone every time he talks about it.

As an MMA fan both podcasts annoyed me.

He has a similar take on it to most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭PapaOscar

riemann wrote: »
    He has a similar take on it to most people.

True that, he knows nothing about MMA like most people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

He know enough to know it's garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Patww79 wrote: »
    He know enough to know it's garbage.

Why is it garbage? It's just another combat sport. If people don't like it they don't have to watch it. Personally, I find it far more interesting to watch than boxing. Seems to me like boxing is just more widely accepted as a sport as it's been around longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Still Ill wrote: »
    Why is it garbage? It's just another combat sport. If people don't like it they don't have to watch it. Personally, I find it far more interesting to watch than boxing. Seems to me like boxing is just more widely accepted as a sport as it's been around longer.

The sport is fine, its the cult of McGregor which causes everyone to hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Listened to the episode with Philip O'Connor (can't stand him either) who at least tried to justify its merits to Eamon.

MacKenna only went to Vegas with the attention of whinging about it afterwards.

I have a passing interest in MMA as I'm a boxing fan but to write it off as a sport is silly.

Dana White is surely one of the best fight promoters of all time even if you exclude what McGregor has done in the UFC. Taking a fringe sport to the mainstream levels he has is incredible. It had a huge audience before most people in Ireland had heard of Conor McGregor and will continue to do so when he's finished.

If two people want to train to get in a cage and beat the living **** out of each other in the hopes of becoming millionaires, good for them.

I rather eat a tramps socks than watch golf but I wouldn't waste my time looking at a golf tournament so I could take about how ****e it all was.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Listened to that 1 with section today. Good interview. Not often you hear sexton being interviewed like that. Good 1 aswell with Mick Clifford on the disclosure tribunal calling out marian & her D4 dinner party clique

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

neris wrote: »
    Listened to that 1 with section today. Good interview. Not often you hear sexton being interviewed like that. Good 1 aswell with Mick Clifford on the disclosure tribunal calling out marian & her D4 dinner party clique

Did anyone listen to that Finucane programme, who were the journalists on it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Did anyone listen to that Finucane programme, who were the journalists on it?

This was the line up-

Today’s newspaper panel included Conor Lenihan Former Fianna Fail Minister of State, Dr Mary C Murphy Department of Government and Politics, UCC, Stephen Kinsella Associate Professor in Economics, UL, Ken Murphy Director General, Law Society and Ellen Coyne Reporter at the Ireland Edition of The Times

Story gets going at about 25 minutes in on Sunday's show.

Conor Lenihan attempted to subtly separate Charleton's findings and Politics and why Fitzgerald left government by saying she was "vindicated to a large extent". Ken Murphy and Marian slammed him down.

humberklog wrote: »
    This was the line up-

Today’s newspaper panel included Conor Lenihan Former Fianna Fail Minister of State, Dr Mary C Murphy Department of Government and Politics, UCC, Stephen Kinsella Associate Professor in Economics, UL, Ken Murphy Director General, Law Society and Ellen Coyne Reporter at the Ireland Edition of The Times

Story gets going at about 25 minutes in on Sunday's show.

Conor Lenihan attempted to subtly separate Charleton's findings and Politics and why Fitzgerald left government by saying she was "vindicated to a large extent". Ken Murphy and Marian slammed him down.

Only one journo really so. Eamon had been particularity vitriolic about one 'buffoon' journalist in a previous podcast and i had my suspensions.

I know nothing about any of those people though

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Only one journo really so. Eamon had been particularity vitriolic about one 'buffoon' journalist in a previous podcast and i had my suspensions.

I know nothing about any of those people though

Yeah I didn't understand the journo reference in the recent podcast- unless he was referring to MF herself. But I'll have a listen back to it- I've to often listen to the Clifford ones twice anyway.

In the previous Clifford podcast I took the journo reference to be Paul Williams.

humberklog wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't understand the journo reference in the recent podcast- unless he was referring to MF herself. But I'll have a listen back to it- I've to often listen to the Clifford ones twice anyway.

In the previous Clifford podcast I took the journo reference to be Paul Williams.

Yeah I thought that too. Paul Williams does not appear to be well thought of in the profession.

It may well have been Marian. In fairness to Eamon he is doing some service to me at least. I never realised how craven the media in Ireland really are. They are a roundly pathetic bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

Ewan MacKenna declaring the end of democracy in Brazil was a bit alarmist.

A fascist has been elected according to the title of the podcast.

A counter point podcast from a Braziilan would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭PapaOscar

Not that gob****e again, why is he hiding over in Brazil anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

His wife is Brazilian

• Registered Users Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It is concerning to say the least, the right is on the way, be prepared for weird ****

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It is concerning to say the least, the right is on the way, be prepared for weird ****

Not that I'm an expert on Brazil, but anyone who has visited it recently can see something needed to change.

If anything, like the USA, its too large for a single entity and should be broken up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Its not just Brazil the whole of Central & South Americas a basket case.

Eamonns really getting in to the criminal underworld here in a big way. That other podcast he had out on women murderers must have been the third or fourth crime podcast hes had in the last 2 weeks. He was jumping out in praise of the lads in the Kinihan cartel the other week

• Registered Users Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

riemann wrote: »
    Not that I'm an expert on Brazil, but anyone who has visited it recently can see something needed to change.

If anything, like the USA, its too large for a single entity and should be broken up.

certainly no expert myself, but it does sound like some have been trying, according to joe stiglitz anyway, hard to know what they should do next

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Typical lefty journalist, painful to listen to.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I wonder how long dunphy will hold on to his Pep teams can’t defend narrative as they are probably on course to concede the least amount of goals in a PL season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

neris wrote: »

Yeah...

I kind of have enough of Clifford at this stage to be honest.
    Time to let Maurice McCabe rebuild his life and enjoy his retirement in private.

Advertisement