Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

John Connors on today, I'll probably listen later but I really hope it's not a love in, pandering to Connors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Nokotan wrote: »
    John Connors on today, I'll probably listen later but I really hope it's not a love in, pandering to Connors.

That seems to be Dunphy's style though... I'll listen in alright, but not holding out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

dulpit wrote: »
    That seems to be Dunphy's style though... I'll listen in alright, but not holding out much hope.
    I'll be avoiding that like the plague. It's in these instances where I get an appreciation for how tough it is being an independent presenter. You are reliant on your guests, and if you go hard on them, chances are they will not return/tell others of their bad experience. So, I guess Dunphy is somewhat forced to pander to his guests, rather than go on the tirades we were used to seeing when he was a pundit on RTE.

It wasn't bad to be fair. Not great, and Dunphy didn't go into anything negative about Connors, but still interesting to hear about Connors' early experiences in school. I feel like you may need to take what he says with a pinch of salt, but no questioning that he had some rough experiences in primary school it would seem...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Think thats one episode I,ll give a miss, cant stand that Connors guy and his way of thinking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Connors tells a pretty incredible story of his first acting class.

I found it an interesting interview. Dunphy’s style is to blow wind up everyone’s arse face to face and slaughter people when on mic and they aren’t there and have no facility to debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I enjoyed it... Worth a listen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I enjoyed it... Worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Been listening to the stand since the beginning, and for the most part I enjoy it. However, some of the guests are getting repititive, I don't think we need Stanage on every week to discuss Trump,or Tallant on to discuss the latest scumbag that's been locked up.

About the Connors one, I was in 2 minds to listen to it as I can't stand the guy. Was a bit disappointed that Dunphy didn't question him on some of the silly crap he's come out with in the past, especially the late late show comments, and tweeting about the lidl demolition in Dublin. Seems to have a very strange view on the world and a definite victim complex, where everything is everyone else's fault.

However I do agree with the poster above, Dunphy is in a tricky situation as he can't afford to be too critical or he won't get guests!

Lawlesz wrote: »
    Been listening to the stand since the beginning, and for the most part I enjoy it. However, some of the guests are getting repititive, I don't think we need Stanage on every week to discuss Trump,or Tallant on to discuss the latest scumbag that's been locked up.

I don't mind the repetitive nature of the guests, but Dunphy has a tendency to spend about half of the podcasts going over older stuff, so if you are a regular listener it's tedious... It's like a step of stairs:

_____
    _____
    _____
    _____

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

dulpit wrote: »
    I don't mind the repetitive nature of the guests, but Dunphy has a tendency to spend about half of the podcasts going over older stuff, so if you are a regular listener it's tedious... It's like a step of stairs:

_____
    _____
    _____
    _____

Yes definitely. It as though the show is geared towards first time listeners, especially when a mention of someone in the kinihan group, he interrupts to confirm who or what they are

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I'm pretty sure he interrupted to say Obama was a Democratic former pres on the latest episode :P

The weekly Trump show is usually my favourite as I don't go out of my way to read any US or Irish coverage fake news .

As long as there isn't too much Ewan MacKenna or John Connors I'm happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Lawlesz wrote: »
    Yes definitely. It as though the show is geared towards first time listeners, especially when a mention of someone in the kinihan group, he interrupts to confirm who or what they are

Yep I agree.

I used to listen to the episodes with Nicola Tallant as I wouldn't usually read much about the Kinahan-Hutch feud elsewhere online or in the papers. It was very interesting at the start, but now it's just frustrating as I don't need Eamo explaining who Christy Kinahan is for the millionth time! I often get the impression that Tallant is frustrated by Dunphy wanting to constantly go over the same stuff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I was enjoying this podcast and giving Dunphy the benefit of the doubt. A new platform and a new found freedom in content, analyses and presentation.

The football episodes should have been a warning that he is (and has been for quite a while) a busted flush.

The Connors and Carolin episodes lay bare Dunphy's toadyness. Not one probing question, not one contrary opinion just simple brown nosing his guests.

It's a pity to see and hear as he is delivering good and important stuff on matters that don't get properly explained and exposed. But now I'm left wondering at the validity of even those episodes.

"You've jumped the fence baby!".

I listened to the Carolan episode. Dunphy needs to learn the value of silence, there were so many points where he jumped in with comments/etc instead of letting Carolan flow.

He (Dunphy) also seemed to want to keep bringing it back to Love/Hate rather than focus on his new show, which must have been annoying for Carolan.

Oh and if anyone hasn't watched first episode of Taken Down and plans to - don't listen to episode as there's a big spoiler from episode 1 towards the end, with no warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MercuryBoy

I thought the mask slipped multiple times when Eamo kept coming back to the fact that he was ashamed as a "journalist" to not even know direct provision existed until he saw Carolan's new show..

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Bit off topic but is the new Carolan show any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I'm starting to skip some episodes at this stage, it's becoming a little bit repetitive.

I think he needs to mix up the content a little bit , and stop brown nosing guests like John Connors or Peter McVerry.

I have sent in feedback a few times, and in fairness to Eamon he does take the time to respond, so it's nice to see he is engaged some what with his listeners.

The John Waters moment is probably one of the best podcasts of 2018 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Been listening to a few lately as I was light on podcasts and I don't bother with the premier league ones any more. He needs to wind it back a little bit because it's nearly pointless having guests on at this stage if he won't let them speak. He kept asking the lad on about Maurice McCabe questions today and instantly cutting across his answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

What's the story with Dunphy's podcast lads, any good?
    Can I get it on Souncloud or Stitcher?

Looking for something to fill the gap left by all the League of Ireland podcasts now that the season is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

What's the story with Dunphy's podcast lads, any good?
    Can I get it on Souncloud or Stitcher?

Looking for something to fill the gap left by all the League of Ireland podcasts now that the season is over.
    Ya, I like them. Some can be a bit repetitive but, in general, they are good. I use Soundcloud

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I enjoyed the rugby ones for the most part but your man Neil Francis is a bit strange, no hello, thanks or goodbye at any stage, is it just my perception he's an arrogant prick?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I enjoy them too, its good to keep up with home too over here, but agree on the repetitiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the rugby ones for the most part but your man Neil Francis is a bit strange, no hello, thanks or goodbye at any stage, is it just my perception he's an arrogant prick?

It's your perception and the reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Dunphy relegating both Germany and France to Division 2 of the nations league today despite being in the same group. Ah sure as long as the listener knows I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Arghus wrote: »
    It's your perception and the reality.

He’s the very definition of a haughty, self-important pain in the ass from south Dublin. I can’t stand the way he pronouces things like ruck, line break, scrummage, and ball handler. A complete rugby bore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Hes got a real goo on for gangland over the last few weeks. At least the reporter he has on isnt as bad as paul williams

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

neris wrote: »
    Hes got a real goo on for gangland over the last few weeks. At least the reporter he has on isnt as bad as paul williams

She’s actually fairly good. They’ve a decent rapport as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Sunday World "gangland" hacks are of no interest to me.

Selling nicknames and hysteria.

"He's known as The Butcher"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've heard that gangland reporter on a few times. She may be a bit less odious than Paul Williams but in essence I don't think what she does is any less morally questionable - adding to hype and profile of these guys to sell papers.

Advertisement