Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2TB drive not detected, is it because its USB 3.0

Options
  • 12-02-2017 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭

My Mag 254 box won't detect a USB 3.0 powered WD 2TB hard drive.

The power light on drive lights up when plugged into the Mag box, so i assume it has enough power and I can feel is spinning.

It will detect my old mains powered 2TB drive.

According to this site Mag 254 supports
    USB 2.0 (1 front and 1 rear)

My drive is WD 2TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0
    USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

More than likely a power issue OP, the external drive on the mag should ideally use its own external PSU, the issue wouldn't be specifically down to using USB2 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Try getting a 'Y' USB cable with 2 plugs on one end, to get power from 2 ports

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

davo2001 wrote: »
    More than likely a power issue OP, the external drive on the mag should ideally use its own external PSU, the issue wouldn't be specifically down to using USB2 or 3.
    bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Try getting a 'Y' USB cable with 2 plugs on one end, to get power from 2 ports

Cheers guys,

I contacted Infomir and they said this
    "
    These disks are USB 3.0 and the box can't provide enough power to launch it. So you need the external power supply for your HDDs to use them with our box.
    Mag 254 has USB 2.0 interface with 0.5 A but USB 3.0 needs 0.9 A so it is the reason the box cant launch your discks"

Do you think the Y' USB cable could work?

Is this the one I'd need?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-3-0-dual-Power-Y-Shape-2-x-Type-A-TO-Micro-B-Cable-External-Hard-Drive-Disk-/272312431798?hash=item3f6715f4b6:g:kn0AAOSwj2dXjcMW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If that USB3 connector looks like yours, I'd guess so. Maybe you could find one with cheaper postage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

ISome hard drives use more power than others. Use a y lead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement