Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the story with the big white house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Interesting aerial shot of the site in the Meath Chronicle this week. I was surprised to read that the house is to be demolished, seems a shame.
    Certainly a dramatic change in the landscape there compared to some months ago when there were cows in the field. At one point, the County Club had a 40-foot trailer right in the middle of the field, used as signage to advertise their restaurant. The words "steak on a stone" were written in large letters. I remember driving by one time and thinking how it would be a great photo if one of the cows milling around the sign stood on a large rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It''s a shame they couldn't just build around it and incorporate it into the development, would have added a nice bit of character to a sprawling industrial site!

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Looks like the big house's days are numbered, I passed by the site today and noticed a few lads throwing rubble out the upstairs windows (windows appeared to be gones), so I'm guessing they have finished using the house as a "Site Office" as there is a new big office compound at the back of the site now.

A real shame that such a fine building (and a well-known landmark) has to go...

I am hoping to get a couple of photos of it, maybe this week-end, if it is still standing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

CUCINA wrote: »

I am hoping to get a couple of photos of it, maybe this week-end, if it is still standing!

Really? It's a tacky 80s tasteless build!

That sounds good. If you do, could to post a few photos here! If I had the time I'd have taken a progress photo each week of the site from say the M3 bridge since the week before Christmas (2016) when they started on site.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

This whole development was chugging along nicely until I noticed the dreaded traffic light signs going up in the last few days. I can't believe the council is going to clog up a main road with unnecessary lights. What's wrong with a stop sign or a mini roundabout? It's ridiculous having traffic lights when it's only a couple of times per day that there will be major traffic going in and out of the factory. The rest of the time the main road traffic will be stopped at red lights with no one going in or out of the factory.
    Then why am I surprised. These are the same overpaid geniuses that put the lights at Beechmount (Trim/Navan Road) which cause mayhem at peak times. They also designed, what has to be the most ridiculous junction at Newtown/Lackanash ( Trim).

This whole development was chugging along nicely until I noticed the dreaded traffic light signs going up in the last few days. I can't believe the council is going to clog up a main road with unnecessary lights. What's wrong with a stop sign or a mini roundabout? It's ridiculous having traffic lights when it's only a couple of times per day that there will be major traffic going in and out of the factory. The rest of the time the main road traffic will be stopped at red lights with no one going in or out of the factory.
    Then why am I surprised. These are the same overpaid geniuses that put the lights at Beechmount (Trim/Navan Road) which cause mayhem at peak times. They also designed, what has to be the most ridiculous junction at Newtown/Lackanash ( Trim).

I feel there was always a deliberate plan to make this road as difficult as possible for commuters trying to avoid paying the tolls (e.g. those going to Trim, Dunshaughlin, Navan on the old road). Now with the introduction of Avoca, Shire, Bus lanes, 60 km/h limit, and now traffic lights, this is going to be a nightmare at peak times!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

chewed wrote:
    I feel there was always a deliberate plan to make this road as difficult as possible for commuters trying to avoid paying the tolls (e.g. those going to Trim, Dunshaughlin, Navan on the old road). Now with the introduction of Avoca, Shire, Bus lanes, 60 km/h limit, and now traffic lights, this is going to be a nightmare at peak times!!!

Yes this is definitely done to push commuters onto the motorway, its sickening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

chewed wrote: »

I remember speaking to a former councillor when the M3 opened and the old N3 limits were reduced, he said exactly that - 'plan is to force drivers onto the motorway, how else are we going to pay for it?'
    Wasn't impressed.:mad:

bladespin wrote: »
    I remember speaking to a former councillor when the M3 opened and the old N3 limits were reduced, he said exactly that - 'plan is to force drivers onto the motorway, how else are we going to pay for it?'
    Wasn't impressed.:mad:

Even when we do end up fully paying for it.....we'll still continue to pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

chewed wrote: »
    Even when we do end up fully paying for it.....we'll still continue to pay!

Yeap the m50 bridge has been paid for 100 times over

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

I’ll use the motorway but not pay the toll after one day with the bad rain the tag didn’t read, red light and whack of barrier at the same time, then snotty attitude from customer service.

Dunsaughlin all the way, or turn off towards the GAA pitch onto loop road and back onto motorway
    Batterstown and come out onto the motorway at the same place as above

I passed the Shire site this evening, looks like they manually removing the slates, a lot of the main roof & timber work is now removed & the slates on most of the lower roof are gone too.

No more tacky 80's build! Demolition well underway when I last went by the other day. I did manage to take a few photos last Sunday when the house was still intact. The peach well and truly eaten now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Pity. thought it was lovely, plenty of tacky 90s and naughties builds about to scowl at though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/krjfzhe8y63edrc/Peter%27s%20House%2007.jpg?dl=0

I took this photo yesterday afternoon, and I passed the site again, after 7pm and the gable end wall including the chimney on the RHS was gone, so I think the house is not going to see this weekend!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Well thats a bags now, I always planned on living in that house when I grew up.
    I'm well grown up now but I thought there was still time!

I passed the Shire site yesterday (13th July 2017) afternoon and the "big white house" was gone. The end of an era...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Yup passed it tonight for the first time in a few weeks, all gone now.

Here's a few photos I took earlier this month. unfortunately the lamp posts kept photobombing my pictures!!! :D

35681235350_dc25f619ef_b.jpg
    Taken 04-07-2017

35681235520_f6a18ee7e4_b.jpg
    Taken 05-07-2017

36030082546_446577b4d6_b.jpg
    Taken 06-07-2017

35681235550_093e5b2c4f_b.jpg
    Taken 07-07-2017

No more tacky 80's build! Demolition well underway when I last went by the other day. I did manage to take a few photos last Sunday when the house was still intact. The peach well and truly eaten now!

Hi Cucina, are you planning on posting any of your photos you mentioned above?

GeneHunt wrote: »
    Hi Cucina, are you planning on posting any of your photos you mentioned above?

Oops! Sorry, I hadn't noticed your post till now! Actually the photos you took have more detail than the ones I took, and apart from that, not sure how to load photos on this site anyway...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

That aside, the big white house is now replaced by the big white frame...looks like it's going to be quite a big structure. Up to recently, it looked for a long time that not much was happening on the site, but now, full steam ahead.
    Even the apparently over-sized carpark has probably over a hundred cars parked there during the day.

Oops! Sorry, I hadn't noticed your post till now! Actually the photos you took have more detail than the ones I took, and apart from that, not sure how to load photos on this site anyway...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

That's okay, I was starting to think, you got arrested for trespassing while trying to get photos of the big white house!!!:o
    That aside, the big white house is now replaced by the big white frame...looks like it's going to be quite a big structure. Up to recently, it looked for a long time that not much was happening on the site, but now, full steam ahead.
    Even the apparently over-sized carpark has probably over a hundred cars parked there during the day.

That big white frame will extend to about twice the current frame length (towards Ratoath roundabout) and there is still more to be built at the Kilsaran end too. I think there is also a two story office building to be built in-front of the white frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Day by day it is flying up now!

Advertisement