Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter blackouts....

Options
  • 12-02-2017 9:05pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

So what do you do when the lights go off?

Second night in succession for us. Last night a tree came down taking out our power and phone cables. It was just outside our house and we did get a bit of a light show to accompany it. Power was out for about 12 hours from 10 o'clock or so

Then this evening it sounds like the whole area has gone. ESB is suggesting it should be back by around 11.30pm

Maybe the start of our cold winter of discontent...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Back within the hour in Skerries.Well done ESB!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Still out, here in Balrothery.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

1. hot water bottles.

2. mega power packs for the phones and iPads (always charged up as I do, smugly ha ha)

3. A wind up radio. LOL

4. Candles, and always put them in the same place, so you can just put your hands right on them in a power cut. Oh and a box of matches or a lighter. That's my failing, never have either. Note to self!

5. Check the timers on everything when power resumes.

6. Cuddly early night!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Back up around an hour ago in The Hills.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

How do you make hot water bottles without the kettle?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Beasty wrote:
    So what do you do when the lights go off?

Nip down to the shed and use the lights off your bike!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

pinkypinky wrote: »

Gas....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If it happens a lot a small generator would be a good idea.

Gas cooker would also work well or a range fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

pinkypinky wrote:

Gas camping stove and whistling kettle!

After two recent power cuts, we got a couple of battery lanterns and new batteries for the torches. Because we did that, we'll never have a power but again.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

rushfan wrote: »
    Nip down to the shed and use the lights off your bike!!!!!!
    Last night the road was very dangerous with sparks flying everywhere. At the other end they found some road bollards. I had to block the road off with a couple of wheelie bins with one of my rear bike lights attached to warn traffic. Was getting round and inspecting the damage with the front light

I had only just come in from a session on the trainer when the lights went off. That meant I couldn't even have a shower as all our hot water is pumped round the house

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Back up around an hour ago in The Hills.
    Around about the same time for us. The ESB recording had a lot of areas where they would not even give an estimate. I'm guessing the high winds last night and today have been the root of this (it certainly was with our blackout last night)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

1000w invertor ran off the car keeps my computer / tv / mobiles and marine fish tank up and going. I start and then lock the car with the spare key and park the missus car to block mine in the drive.

....aaaaannndd it's gone again!!

3 times in 10 days and the big storm is not due until tomorrow!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Beasty wrote: »
    ....aaaaannndd it's gone again!!

3 times in 10 days and the big storm is not due until tomorrow!

Can't you power the whole of the North county with your watt bike?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We've been spoiled here in Swords in recent years, we've had hardly any power cuts (said she, jinxing them all). During the building boom they were a regular occurrence.

Batten down the hatches up there in the deep North County because apparently Storm Doris is to hit tomorrow night!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Power gone in Oldtown! Tree branches and debris all over the roads, wheelie bins everywhere except where there supposed to be! It's wild out there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Went off in Lusk just before 7.

4th time in 12 days - at least early morning/daylight hours this time

Going to invest in a generator

Reckon I must have jinxed the whole area by starting this thread:o. No blackouts for a few years then suddenly all of this.

I'm guessing the fact we've not had any major storms for a while means there has been a build up of weaker trees and when the wind does get up they all come down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Power gone in Oldtown! Tree branches and debris all over the roads, wheelie bins everywhere except where there supposed to be! It's wild out there!
    No estimate as to when it will be back either. :(

Though it has been very reliable for a long time. Can't remember the last power cut.

<edit> estimated fix time 3pm today ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

There must have been a major power surge in Lusk,when it came back around 10 am because it caused my fuse board to trip.
    Good surge protection plugboard's are a must,for all delicate electronics like tv's dvd players pc's ,both for phone and power line, it can be an expensive way to find out that your insurance company will not cover a power surge that just blew your 55'' flat screen or your pc or laptop from a lightning strike on your phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Gas bbq for food, few bottles of wine, Kindle on ultra powersaving for books, and my place is so well insulated that plenty warm enough(only turn on heating for max an hour a day)

And the ups battery backup to protect my 20 terabyte nas

Beasty wrote: »
    4th time in 12 days - at least early morning/daylight hours this time

Going to invest in a generator

And so we're onto #5......

EDIT: Just found out this was "planned" so hopefully they will fix any underlying problem. Due back on by 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭koutoubia

BEASTY...STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD.
    YOU ARE A JINX (amonst other things but thats for another thread)

koutoubia wrote: »
    BEASTY...STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD.
    YOU ARE A JINX (amonst other things but thats for another thread)
    I suffer more than most and therefore like to share any pain.....

And it's gone again. After losing power for a few minutes yesterday it's been off for an hour or more now with the promise it should be fixed...

...within the next 3 hours

Advertisement