Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire alarm

Options
  • 12-02-2017 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

We have wired fire alarm in kitchen which hubbie recently set off while I was out and not knowing how to silence it he was heavy handed and ended up breaking the silence side of the button. It was jammed up into the alarm when I got home. I eventually got it loose but it's snapped off leaving that area exposed. It's continually beeping since intermittently and a battery change hasn't solved it.
    I presume the while unit needs replacing.
    Is this something we can do ourselves or does it need an electrican as it's a wired model.? If the latter how much roughly should I expect to pay? Recently had a guy out to sort a few bits and not sure if he was on the dear side as he didn't leave a receipt when hubbie paid him but it was €200 to replace the box for the zoned heating (the on/off slider has broken) and he fitted a new sensor light outside - he did quote light fitting at €65. He also fit it over the existing light sensor that on the wall so have the old one kinda stick underneath the one one. Not sure what he's reasoning for leaving old one up, I wasn't here.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A smoke or heat detector can be replaced by a competent person (does not have to be an electrician).

These devices can generally be unplugged.
    The simplest solution would be to buy a replacement that is exactly the same make and model.
    That way it could simply be plugged in without having to disconnect and reconnect the existing wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Have looked for brand name on outside but none visible. Must look inside. Just putting kiddies to bed so will look again when I go down later. Hubbie doesn't understand my annoyance at the beeping going through me - would love to be that oblivious ��

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Have looked for brand name on outside but none visible. Must look inside. Just putting kiddies to bed so will look again when I go down later. Hubbie doesn't understand my annoyance at the beeping going through me - would love to be that oblivious ��

Tell your hubby the following:

A ¼ turn in an anticlockwise direction and the detector should disengage from the base.
    It is then generally possible to unplug the unit from the base.
    Base should remain fixed to the ceiling.
    Once unplugged remove battery and the beeping will stop.
    Make and model should be underneath.

Advertisement