Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NextBase Duo Issue with Charging/Turning-On

• 12-02-2017 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hello Motor Boardsie,

First, I hope that I have posted in the right place (the Dash Cam Chat thread didn't quite seem like the right place for a troubleshoot question) and that someone might have a solution for me. I had a quick search of the forums and didn't find anything specific to my issue, hence the new thread. If this has a solution elsewhere that has been answered, please point me in that direction!

Anyway, to my troubles...

Late last September I went and purchased a Next Base Duo camera for the car on the recommendation of a work colleague who also had one. When it works, can't fault it and does everything I expect of it. I saved a few quid buying it via Amazon, rather than a bricks and motor store like Halfords (which I am now regretting, because at least I could have gone to them with this issue.)

As I said, when it works, it is perfectly fine. But I am finding an issue where the batter just seems to randomly drain. I could come in some evening and it's fine, charged fully and the next time I get into the car, it won't start at all. I just get the blue charging light. I could tolerate a battery issue if the camera would at least turn on. However it seems to want to reach a certain battery level before it will even consider turning on. I have in my experience found this to take several hours of driving - a bit pointless when the whole point of the camera is to cover me whilst driving, I'm sure you can agree.

I can't think of any reason as to why it should be draining. When this issue started happening, I started to try to narrow out possibilities. First, I ensured it turned off every time before I left the car. When that didn't work, I made sure to manually shut it down myself instead of the automatic shut-down. Thinking that maybe for some reason it was coming back to life overnight, I started to plug it out each night as well.

None of these offered a permanent solution to the issue. When it is in this charge mode, I just get a blue light. The connection to the cigarette lighter is live as well, because the green light is on that. The only thing I haven't tried yet is to have the camera hardwired in (wondering could it be for some reason there just isn't enough juice getting to it - yet that doesn't explain why it can go from a high battery level to dead to me).

I have recently tried contacting Next Base regarding it and awaiting a reply. Based off what I've read here on Boards, a response might be hit and miss - another reason to turn to you guys.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has hit this issue or has a solution. It's a shame of an issue because the camera does the job nicely but obviously if I'm having to drive several hours with no camera protection from it to get it charged to work, it's rather missing the point of why I have it.

I appreciate any feedback and thoughts (or where such a thread/issue should be posted if I've stuck it in the wrong spot!)

Regards,

RacersEdge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What car is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭racersedge

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What car is it?

2008 Kia Ceed - diesel if that helps to add clarification, thanks

Advertisement