Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant delete file cause its running elsewhere

Options
  • 12-02-2017 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

The usual msg we get from time to time.

In this case its a mymoney backup file that I have on a memory stick.

Tried re booting etc.

When I open the drive>Folder>mymoney>delete, I get the message.

Then I Go to Task Manager>click on my money file>End task>it stops running.
    Then back to Drive and Folder>and just click on Folder>Delete(as there is only the mymoney file in that folder) and get the same damn message.

Back to task manager and its says Drive D is running.

If you can follow all this I'm being sent round in circles and it won't let me delete the file once I've opened the drive to access:mad:

Would Revo uninstaller or some other software be able to grab this file and throw it out. I dont need it for running Mymoney....it's running fine.

any ideas!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Possibly booting into safe mode might stop it from starting and you could delete it then.

You could try reformat the drive if there is nothing else on it that you want. It will completely wipe it.
    I'm sure others be along with suggestions also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Use a linux live distro, boot your PC, pop in the memory stick, remove the file.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

I find in windows it's usually file explorer which is 'hogging' the file. There is a way using Process Explorer to find out the actual culprit. Try killing explorer.exe (it will auto restart) and see if you can remove the file.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Think I'll reformat the drive and see if that works first, can't see why it wouldn't. The stick is only a 2nd back up and there is not a lot on it any.

I know nowt about linux so don't want to even go there:D

edit: Sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

sounds like you have preview window open in windows explorer which prevents you from deleting the file.

if it was an open process hogging the file rebooting would have worked.

try turning off preview in view >preview pane, and attempt to delete.

• Advertisement
Advertisement