Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed- updating house alarm in Dublin 15

Options
  • 12-02-2017 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys,

Looking for your thoughts and advice for a house alam.

We have a three bed room terrece house in Ongar, Dublin 15.
    Down stairs - Front door, large living room window, patio door, kitchen window.
    Up stairs - three opening windows, one fixed wondow.

The house is already wired and alarmed but we are looking to update the alarm.

Is there a system would you recommend?
    Is there an installer you would recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

My 2 recommendations for a System would be Siemens Vanderbilt or GSD .
    If you are looking at self monitoring they have free apps & free usage with excellent notification poll times etc.
    There are a lot of factors involved. Take a look at the sticky here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057394782
    And some other posts on the subject.
    A good new system should last you up to 15 years. Its a long time to get tied into annual or monthly fees for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cruisingr32

Thank you for the reply Koolkid.

I would like to take my time and study up on what is available now but the other half wants it done asap.

We are only looking for a stand alone alarm, self monitoring would be a bonus but external monitoring is a waste in my opinion unless they have their own staff to come check on a house.

I was leaning towards a HKC alarm as I know a few people using them that are very happy.
    I will have a look at the Siemens and GSD though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cruisingr32

Before I start calling around random alarm companies that google suggests can someone tell me what a basic alarm (two doors, five opening windows, one fixed window & PIR) will cost?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

We don't really get into pricing on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Hi,

Can you recommend someone in Dublin 15 area to carry out maintenance on house alarm. It is the original alarm which is now about 20 years old and has been trouble free but have a very annoying clicking noise coming from the internal box in the hotpress upstairs.

I want to get this sorted and a routine check over everything else...Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Would it be an Astec system by any chance?

The only name on the box is Nationwide Alarms but I don't think that they are in Business anymore ?

That would be the installer, is there a model or make on the keypad, or can you describe the keypad.

no name other than the installer.

If I upload a photo would this help ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

exador wrote: »

Yes do and someone will point you in the right direction.
    Blank out installers name if possible.

• Advertisement

Yes it would or a description of the buttons.
    Is there buttons Clear/Set/Full/Part?
    or 1-9 /0/ X etc

photo

photo

Might be a relay for the bell clicking inside the box.
    If you have a look at the PSA website here you will be able to get it sorted.

altor wrote: »
    Might be a relay for the bell clicking inside the box.
    If you have a look at the PSA website here you will be able to get it sorted.

Got that...Thanks....

The clicking noise has stopped for the moment but I am going to get it looked at anyway.

Its more than likely a faulty internal siren or a power issue. That system certainly does not owe you anything. Having said that they were a great system.
    We have often got around this fault by switching the bell to another output or powering it permanently and switching through a separate relay.
    Unless its giving you any other problems a quick fix might get you going for another while.

Got that...Thanks....

The clicking noise has stopped for the moment but I am going to get it looked at anyway.

No harm if its in that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Got that...Thanks....

You'd be better off upgrading it rather than spending money repairing it.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Its more than likely a faulty internal siren or a power issue. That system certainly does not owe you anything. Having said that they were a great system.
    We have often got around this fault by switching the bell to another output or powering it permanently and switching through a separate relay.
    Unless its giving you any other problems a quick fix might get you going for another while.

Thanks... I have plans to put extension on within the next 12 months or so and was going to change the alarm system then. Quickfix is on the cards as never had any problems

Probably the best way to go with it.If you need anything lets know.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Probably the best way to go with it.If you need anything lets know.

The clicking noise is back and I emailed one of the Companies on the link and called another one but still waiting on a call back. Would anyone have a contact for someone they could recommend in Dublin 15 area ?

• Advertisement

The clicking noise is back and I emailed one of the Companies on the link and called another one but still waiting on a call back. Would anyone have a contact for someone they could recommend in Dublin 15 area ?

If you hear noting back from them here is the link to the PSA website with list of installers.

If you hear noting back from them here is the link to the PSA website with list of installers.

Just found a name and number in the local paper and he is also listed on the PSA website so have sent him a message. Hopefully he will get back.

Thanks

Just found a name and number in the local paper and he is also listed on the PSA website so have sent him a message. Hopefully he will get back.

Thanks

No problem, hope you get it sorted.

At its age I wouldn't recommend investing to much in it.

No problem, hope you get it sorted.

At its age I wouldn't recommend investing to much in it.

Cheers... If I can just stop the clicking noise I will be happy as working ok other than that and driving me mad.

Cheers... If I can just stop the clicking noise I will be happy as working ok other than that and driving me mad.

Is the clicking that loud?

Is the clicking that loud?

It is in the hot press next to the bedroom so can hear it and can't sleep...

It is in the hot press next to the bedroom so can hear it and can't sleep...

Its a bit late to be opening it up.
    If you dont get anyone tomorrow id chance opening up the unit. Simply put in your code to silence the alarm if it activates and listen out for the clicking to see where its coming from inside the panel.

Its a bit late to be opening it up.
    If you dont get anyone tomorrow id chance opening up the unit. Simply put in your code to silence the alarm if it activates and listen out for the clicking to see where its coming from inside the panel.

I already tried that last week. It appears to be coming from a unit below the control panel which appears to be the internal siren, I think ? I can't see how I can open the unit so maybe it is sealed ?

I already tried that last week. It appears to be coming from a unit below the control panel which appears to be the internal siren, I think ? I can't see how I can open the unit so maybe it is sealed ?

If you look at the photo I uploaded you can just about see the below the control panel. Is this the internal siren ?

• Advertisement

If you look at the photo I uploaded you can just about see the below the control panel. Is this the internal siren ?

Better photo

Advertisement