Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need an ibt for a 49cc moped/scooter?

• 12-02-2017 10:51pm

Asking for a mate , I keep getting conflicting info regarding whether you need an ibt to ride a 49cc vespa he wants to get, he has a full car licence for years

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Goose81 wrote: »
    Asking for a mate , I keep getting conflicting info regarding whether you need an ibt to ride a 49cc vespa he wants to get, he has a full car licence for years

There are a handful of variables here. The short answer is if he does not have the AM full entitlement and never has, then yes, he'd have to get a learner permit and take IBT (and then a driving test). He may or may not have to take a theory test too.

The first question is if he has the AM category on his full licence. If he does, IBT is not a consideration: drive on mad.

If he doesn't have the AM on his licence, the easiest way for you is tell him ring the NDLS to tell what full entitlements he actually holds. If he doesn't hold the full AM entitlement at all (he may hold the entitlement but the motor tax office had the habit of not adding it to full licences) then he must start from scratch. If he holds the AM full entitlement but hasn't got it on his licence, he will have to have it added at the NDLS before he can ride.

The first question I'd ask is when he passed his B test. If he passed it before Oct '06, he would have been issued the full AM but it may not have been added to his licence.

If he doesn't have AM, then he'll be looking at a permit and IBT and test.

If he took a theory test between 2001 and 2006, he probably doesn't have to take the motorcycle theory test as that version of the theory test covered cars and bikes. If he's older and never took a theory test at all or if he's younger and took the car-only theory test, he'll be looking at taking the motorcycle theory test now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Category am is max 49cc and 45kph otherwise not allowed. As previously mentioned before October 2006 category am is on car licence but still restricted to the above size and speed.

• Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭EIRE forever

if he has a full car licence then he has a licence for a scooter on that licence so he doesn't need to do an ibt, he just cant go over the 50cc on his car licence

Advertisement