Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company allocating holiday days without me asking

Options
  • 12-02-2017 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

I work in retail for a company here in Ireland. They have started allocating paid holidays that me or other members of staff have not requested at times when there is a shortage of hours. This is becoming a major pain in the ass since I myself have been trying to save my holidays for later in the year. Im just wondering can they legally do this. Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

Cheers mate, that's that then. Dosen't seem to be much i can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Provided they're giving you a month's notice, there's nothing you can do.

You could try applying for the later-in-the-year leave now, and see what they say. If it's approved, then it may stop them because they cannot allocate leave days if you have no balanace to allocate.

Or find a new job with different T&C.

I know in one gig I had, there was a good trick in applying for leave near the end of the take-your-carry over period, and then cancelling it days before i was due to be taken because the client manager requested that you don't take leave then. In some cases the agency didn't even notice the issue, and it was a way to carry over leave for longer than the policy allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

You are entitled to a two week holiday once a year (still at a time of the employers choosing, subject to them considering etc.)

(3) The annual leave of an employee who works 8 or more months in a leave year shall, subject to the provisions of any employment regulation order, registered employment agreement, collective agreement or any agreement between the employee and his or her employer, include an unbroken period of 2 weeks.

20.—(1) The times at which annual leave is granted to an employee shall be determined by his or her employer having regard to work requirements and subject—

(a) to the employer taking into account—

(i) the need for the employee to reconcile work and any family responsibilities,

(ii) the opportunities for rest and recreation available to the employee,

(b) to the employer having consulted the employee or the trade union (if any) of which he or she is a member, not later than 1 month before the day on which the annual leave or, as the case may be, the portion thereof concerned is due to commence, and

(c) to the leave being granted within the leave year to which it relates or, with the consent of the employee, within the 6 months thereafter.

Advertisement