Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conversations at Gigs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Going to a gig is a night out. Entertainment, no more, no less.
    Last time I checked, people were free to talk in bars, pubs and clubs.
    After all, its a social event, its not supposed to offer some existential and deep meaning to an attendees life.
    If you aren't in assigned seating, you are free to move if your surroundings bother you. If you are stuck in a seat, then you can either ask the loud folks to quieten down or suffer in (non) silence.

You're one of them aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Went to the Conor Oberst gig last week in Dublin. Before the gig there was an announcement asking punters not to use their mobile phones during the performance.

I don't know if this is coincidental or not but the atmosphere during the gig was superb. Nobody (yes absolutely nobody) was being a c.nt and talking through the gig and it was bliss to be able to watch the show without having it simultaneously broadcast through a hundred mini screens held up in front of me.

An all too rare occurrence. If I spend my hard-earned money to go to hear a band play live I expect to hear them play live and not have to listen to some twat discussing where he parked or what he had for dinner.

Saw the Waifs a few years ago in Galway. One of them thanked the crowd for paying €15 to come in and see them. The group beside me who hadn't shut de feck up all night cheered at this. The Waifs singer looked straight at them and said "those of ye who have paid €15 to come in and have a chat, please feck off to the bar"

More of that from bands/security/fellow punters please.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

Selfie squads..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,411 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Christy Moore always demands quite at this gig and he wont even allow the bar to be opened either. I saw him last year and as much as i enjoyed the gig, i would of loved a couple of drinks while the show was on as its drinking music imo. It was in Woodlands Hotel In Waterford, the bar in the room was closed but we could bring drink in from the main bar until the performance started and we were not allowed head out and bring a drink during the show

A few ***** in front of me prob drinking all day were talking for most of the gig and one of them talked over 'the voyage'. They sneaked a few bottles in there handbags cheeky feckers

Didnt The Dubliners and irish trab bands play late at nights so people would be tanked going into the gig ???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Choochtown wrote: »
    Went to the Conor Oberst gig last week in Dublin. Before the gig there was an announcement asking punters not to use their mobile phones during the performance.

I don't know if this is coincidental or not but the atmosphere during the gig was superb. Nobody (yes absolutely nobody) was being a c.nt and talking through the gig and it was bliss to be able to watch the show without having it simultaneously broadcast through a hundred mini screens held up in front of me.

Don Henley pulled the same thing in the Point last year (announcement before hand and then he asked at the start of the gig) and it made the gig a revelation as to what a large gig can be like, music only, no flashy lights or c.nuts on bookface.

(he allowed it for 1 song towards the end so people could get their social media karma whoring in/ant stands on stage photos)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Don Henley pulled the same thing in the Point last year (announcement before hand and then he asked at the start of the gig) and it made the gig a revelation as to what a large gig can be like, music only, no flashy lights or c.nuts on bookface.

(he allowed it for 1 song towards the end so people could get their social media karma whoring in/ant stands on stage photos)

I was at that gig, and the woman beside me never stopped moaning about how disgraceful it was that she couldn't use her phone during the gig.
    I have a bad habit of always checking irrelevant rubbish on my phone, so welcomed the 2 hour ban.
    Can people no longer just sit for a few hours and not be on some device?
    How did we survive pre mobiles phones!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

seachto7 wrote: »
    the woman beside me never stopped moaning about how disgraceful it was that she couldn't use her phone during the gig.

small-violin.gif

seachto7 wrote: »
    Can people no longer just sit for a few hours and not be on some device?

No, they need a good solid kick in the nethers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Having seen people both take and make calls while at the cinema, nothing surprises me any more.

I run comedy gigs and surprisingly, some people don't realise that it's a performance that you're meant to sit and listen to. Yes, you can turn to your friends for a brief question ... a "wasn't that hilarious" but if someone is having a full on conversation while an act is on, I ask them to stop. If they continue, I ask them again and warn them that the next time I'll have to ask them to leave.

Some people get really offended "We were just talking" .... "we weren;t talking loudly" ... "we've paid our money"....

The bigger the gig, the worse it gets. Sat at many gigs in Vicar St, where people paying a fair amount of cash chat throughout the gig, and just clap when everyone else is clapping.

Then there's the whistlers - when everyone else is laughing, some cock will start wolf whistling.

I've no issues with hecklers as long as they're not ruining a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I've mentioned this before but the Bat For lashes show at Electric Picnic in the Electric Arena in 2012, the audience was a pure buzz kill, songs with mellow startings like Siren Song and Laura were ruined by gabbing voices.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Birneybau wrote: »
    It's a performance. Bad analogy, but would you have a problem if people were chatting all the way through a play?

Its not a bad analogy at all. There can be such a thing as a different etiquette in a different scenario such as at theatre, cinema, opera etc.
    This is historical as the medium is more submersive. Furthermore, most theatres kindly remind the audience to switch off their mobile phones etc. beforehand - thereby suggesting that talking or added sounded effects is not acceptable. I've yet to hear such an announcement before a gig.

Plus alcohol is freely available within the gig venue in most cases, furthering the notion that it is not some sort of existential experience. Its just something to enjoy while on a night out. Heck, even the "artists" might partake in the occasional tipple themselves and god forbid, might even interact with the crowd. Whereas at theatres, alcohol is generally only available pre and post show or during the intermission and is typically forbidden within the auditorium.

Similarly, there is an understood etiquette if you go to a place of worship, a library, a museum etc., you adapt to the situation of your surroundings. Theatres don't generally encourage audience interaction, but it in some cases it may be perfectly acceptable to sing along at a musical or pantomime if it is suggested by the performer/venue.
    milehip wrote: »

You're one of them aren't you?

Nope, I don't go to stupid acoustic plinky plonky woe-is-me type gigs where you need to hush so that the all important warble in the "artists" voice is fully audible and oh my god, exactly like listening to a LP/CD at home. Christ, if its the 320kbps or better experience that people want, stay at home and listen to the album. I want to hear loud music, bands playing for the audience and some fun - even if god forbid they aren't CD quality or pitch perfect or play a duff note.
    If people want to sing along to Slayer/Carcass/Pig Destroyer/whoever, let them at it. They can even air guitar if they like. No different to the folks down front moshing in the circle pit. It wont ruin my enjoyment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I was at a musical recently enough where a gang of women on a hen party talked and shouted and heckled the whole way through the 2nd half - no-one could hear any of the dialogue and any time the ushers approached them, they just got louder. How do you legislate for people who are just arseholes??!

Similarly, I ended up near the back of the 3Arena (standing) at a gig because we'd come straight from work after doors opened. So many people just ignoring the band entirely, talking/shouting over them and pushing in and out to the bar. Why the f did they pay €55 each to do that?! Not to mention ruining it for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,411 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

When the pdc darts are on in the citywest and 3arena are fine examples of people not giving a toss what's happening on the stage. Although it's a completely different event than say a concert/play as its a very alcohol dictated event but people constantly going to and from the bar/jacks, ignoring the match and only paying attention when the entrances are happening.

The darts is a glorified piss up but quite a few actually enjoy the sport and actually go for the sport not the drink

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Similarly, I ended up near the back of the 3Arena (standing) at a gig because we'd come straight from work after doors opened. So many people just ignoring the band entirely, talking/shouting over them and pushing in and out to the bar. Why the f did they pay €55 each to do that?! Not to mention ruining it for everyone else.

People like that just baffle me.

Advertisement