Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Internship 2017 Big 4

Options
  • 13-02-2017 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey guys,
    So i have got an offer from all of the big 4 for the summer internship and was wondering if anyone could give me guidance/advice/previous experience as to whom I should accept??

Thanking you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ciara5466

Hey guys,
    So i have got an offer from all of the big 4 for the summer internship and was wondering if anyone could give me guidance/advice/previous experience as to whom I should accept??

Thanking you

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What career are you hoping to persue? Which one did you feel you most aligned with?

I liked all of them tbh. Im hoping to go into audit or advisory

Hey guys,

Thanking you

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

not sure what sector, but if theres one where the CEO / director of your department is in this country, then pick that. The less levels / more access to the top, the easier it will be to get noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

What service line and sector? They're all generally nice to places where you work hard and on interesting projects (unless it's tax that is lol) but they can vary in terms of sector and international opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

What service line and sector? They're all generally nice to places where you work hard and on interesting projects (unless it's tax that is lol) but they can vary in terms of sector and international opportunities.

Ha - as someone very familiar with Big4 tax I'd disagree.. but it very much depends on what you're interested in.

Some people love Assurance - I wouldn't do it if you paid me triple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

The big four have a very mixed reception, I know several people who joined them at graduate level and found the pressure and workload unmanageable, I also know some people who it really suited, it's really the luck of the team you get in, that will make all the difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

ciara5466 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Thanking you
    What are the offers? Are they for 12 weeks audit, split 6 weeks audit 6 weeks tax etc. 12 week internship vs 14 weeks (one of them used to do 14 weeks afaik).
    Basically what are the terms and conditions and which one suits you.

Iv narrowed it down to KPMG and EY

EY offering 12 weeks in TAS Transaction advisory

KPMG offering 10 week Audit

I dont mind the length just dont know which ones better,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

ciara5466 wrote: »
    Iv narrowed it down to KPMG and EY

EY offering 12 weeks in TAS Transaction advisory

KPMG offering 10 week Audit

I dont mind the length just dont know which ones better,

TAS and Audit is rather different types of roles. Go for the one that you are more likely to want to work in.

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I'm an industry trained accountant. Personally I think the whole Big4 thing is a joke and the importance of Big 4 experience is a narrow-minded approach to recruiting. You can get just as good experience in a smaller private firm.

However, in direct response to your question. I would go for KPMG. Have been very impressed over the years with the calibre of accountants they produce.

Not sure how relevant it is to an internship but you should be prepared for long hours, pressure and deadlines.

Wow thanks so much for the advice!
    I narrowed it down to TAS in EY and Audit in KPMG,

Judging by the perceptions and opinions of most people it seems like everyone refers to EY as a 'distant fourth"

I think I will go with KPMG, they also are quite flexible with my holidays etc and what office i want to work in

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a personal issue. Moving to Accountancy and merging with existing thread.

OP - I know you're new to Boards but please do not create more than one thread on the same topic.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 48 milly2013

Can you tell me what the pay is for summer internship in the big 4 firms.

1650 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 48 milly2013

How long after interview with Deloitte did they let you know that you got it. Did an interview last Friday

that day, did u hear back in the end?

Advertisement