Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Periods for the early tweens?

• 13-02-2017 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,
    First post here on Boards and I tore myself away from fb a few years ago so I'm hoping I'm in the right place.

My dd(is that dear daughter/darling daughter, I need to learn the forum lingo) just turned 11 yesterday, had a great day out, lost her very last baby tooth, then today started her first period!

As you can imagine it's was a daunting time for us both, I think I handled it well and I'm so proud of her as she is usually quite fretful and nervous of everything.

I did have the talk, supplies and book in place a few months now as I think as a parent especially a mother you just know when the time is near. The main worry with her was school, and I'm a bit stuck there too, the teacher wouldn't be the most approachable.

She was reassured, I answered all questions, dad bought her a special take-away treat and even nana arrived down for a hug.

I'm just wondering if any other parents out there felt they missed something.? I'm feeling a bit lost tbh. Maybe it's just the moment and I've done everything as best as I could. I've no sisters and my dd is on her own. All off my other friends have boys..!

How did you manage when d-day arrived?(especially with school)

Thanks in advance to all

Comments

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Maybe get her a small purse/ makeup bag with a little kit of sanitary protection and a couple of paracetamol, travel wipes and a spare pair of underwear for her schoolbag - periods can be a bit erratic at first and that kind of kit could come in very handy.

I personally wouldn't waffle on about it being a wonderfully womanly moment - for me when I started I thought they were gross and sore and awful and I coudnt imagine ever getting used to having them. But neither would I give out about periods either. I think I'd try to strike a balance. I was the last of my friends to get it which helped, they were pros and were able to answer my questions.

Would you consider letting her have a period tracker app? I've never had one but did have one for fertility and it was great at predicting when I'm due.

Other than those suggestions, I think you handled it very well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SueDub

Yep, we are definitely doing that, I'm thinking of asking the teacher if every pupil should bring along a toilet bag, it will save embarrassment and then no one is singled out. Thanks so much for your time to reply I'm much more relaxed already 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

I would agree with Neyite about the make up bag with her period things. I would add in some of those disposable heat pads you can get in boots that you can stick onto tummy or back especially if she might be experiencing cramps. And femfresh do pocket size wipes which are great and won't take up too much room in the bag

I would also get her a "period box" for at home. Somewhere to store pads, liners, wipes etc and stock up with different types of pads (night, with wings, without wings). Some girls could feel a little embarrassed to ask for pads to be bought in the shopping or might forget she's running low on certain things. At least you can have a look and see if she needs things to be restocked without her having to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SueDub

Brilliant ideas... its great to get some insight from people outside your own circle. .Thanks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Oh God OP, I'm hyperventilating now I think :D

I have a daughter who turned 11 in September, and I think this moment is coming for me too. She has a bit of a breast already, she's getting a few spots... her principal, who's also her teacher, told me it is becoming a lot more common to have girls starting their period in Primary School.

I have talked about it with her, tried to take the drama out of it, explained the biology, and I know she won't be freaked out, and she'll know what to do even if it happens some morning and I've already gone to work for example.

I have a drawer for "our" feminine hygiene products, and she keeps her vests there (she wears the sports bras sort of vests) already, as she doesn't like the boys in the family to see them. She knows everything is in there if she needs it.

But the school situation is something I would be nervous about as well. She is in a mixed school, they haven't talked about these things with her girl friends yet, and I know she'll be stressed out.

I think the ideas above are good, and you seem to have done a great job already. I guess time and experience are all that's needed now.

I'm part time, and lucky that most times there will be someone able to collect her from school if there ever is a situation that gets really really too uncomfortable for her on a period day. So I'm thinking of saying to her that at the start, if she finds there's times when she's not handling it well in there, it's ok to ring for me. You wouldn't want that to be abused, but we know our girls don't we, I know I'll be able to pull the plug on this if she's milking it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

My eldest got hers in school aged 11 too. She had as most have suggest, a small make up bag with a spare knickers & pads in it. She has 3 younger siblings so the pads & liners are kept in a drawer in 1 bathroom & inside the press in the main bathroom. In the school front, their 6th class teacher had an excellent approach I thought in that she had a small box/basket in the girls bathroom with spare pads & any other bits they might need. I think you've done all you can, I've advised my daughter to mark the calendar on her phone with a p to track them & that works. She can be a bit teary or sensitive coming upto them & I have to remind myself that this is what it is & she's not just been a typical teen! Feminex are great for periods too as are hot water bottles, hot chocolate & a hug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

my girl got hers at christmas took it all in her stride me on the other hand balled my eyes out ,,,i told her school no prob shes in a mixed school and the prinicpal is a man, her teacher is a woman so no problems there i have to say she missed 3 days so far because of pain and not a word has been said (i think when a school hears period they bend over backwards to be nice ) so just mention it so her teacher has a heads up if anything happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

In my school (this is going back 20 years...god!) in 5th class the girls were told for hygiene and hand washing to bring a bag with a wash cloth and soap to wash our hands. It was a rouse to allow the girls leave the room with a bag.

Boys never realised

Advertisement