Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steamed pudding variations...

Options
  • 13-02-2017 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Enjoying making and eating these... having the gas on warms the house too... ;)

I buy from Aldi the tims of condensed milk and the tins of caramel. Well under E1.50 .. was looking at steamed pudding recipes and they tell you how to make the caramel... short cut ahead...

The tinned caramel is excellent ..

Will try today and let you know..imagine chocolate with the caramel.. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I would be interested in hearing your recipe. Since getting a pudding basin, the only ones I have cooked are steamed jam puddings. My husband made a steak and kidney pudding but it was not to my taste. I prefer sweet things!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I would be interested in hearing your recipe. Since getting a pudding basin, the only ones I have cooked are steamed jam puddings. My husband made a steak and kidney pudding but it was not to my taste. I prefer sweet things!

Easiest thing.. equal quantiities of SR flour , sugar and butter i or 2 eggs or one egg and milk to mix. If using cocoa, subtract amount from flour..

100 gms of each makes a 2/3 good portion pudding.

Cream butter and sugar, add flour and liquids as usual.

Put topping of choice in the basin; ie cook upside down. Any jam etc

Fill to a little over half/ 2/3rds; it will rise fast.

Cover with eg greaseproof and tie that on; if water or condensed steam gets in, soggy pudding,

Place in pan with boiling water just up the sides, or in a steamer insert.

Test after maybe 3/4 hr; a knife to go in and come out clean.

Turn out onto serving plate... custard too!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Don't usually do "afters" here, but once we made Sussex Pond Pudding, which is a steamed suet crust with a whole lemon/butter/sugar filling. My memory says it was very good.

The recipe we used came from The Complete Farmhouse Kitchen, but there are loads of very similar recipes online, says Bing, e.g.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sussexpondpudding_85713 (uses two lemons)
    https://theenglishkitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/sussex-pond-pudding.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yummy. I tend now not to use recipes, just get the gist and mix.. Maybe get some suet though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

I had these two versions of layered suet puddings saved, but I've not cooked either of them.

Essex Meat Layer Pudding (uses minced meats)

and this much posher version from the Hairy Bikers: Layered beef and mushroom suet pudding (there's a video on that page as well).

• Advertisement
Advertisement