Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic conversions in Ongar

Options
  • 13-02-2017 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

The attics in Ongar are built ready to be easy converted. With a growing family I want to covert mine.

Would anybody that has done theirs like to share some recommendations, suggestions, things you regret, things you are happy with for an attic conversion you've done?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The attics in Ongar are built ready to be easy converted. With a growing family I want to covert mine.

Would anybody that has done theirs like to share some recommendations, suggestions, things you regret, things you are happy with for an attic conversion you've done?

Thanks in advance

First thing to do is check with the management company. The work might not be permitted. Are you a house or an apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Its a house. We checked and we don't need their clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭noeleeee

Hi there - I converted my attic. 2 bed terraced house a few years back.
    I installed an ensuite at the time too as it was easier to do at the time. I have two very large velux windows on the room as well as storage either side of the room. There was two tanks in the attic and now I only have 1.
    I have the door to the attic conversion on the landing and have the stairs starting here up into the attic. If I was doing it again I think I would have the door at the top of the attic stairs and have a velux window installed outside the attic door to shed more light down on to landing.
    Make sure that if/when you are getting it down that you dont hold back on the insulation and make sure they draft seal that attic area.
    Delighted we did it even though it is used as more a laundry room than living/sleeping area.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baegan

Thanks in advance

What builder did you use in the end? I'm looking to possibly convert mine. Tmx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Have had a few quotes. Still waiting on my other half to clear it out before booking a builder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭noeleeee

baegan wrote: »
    What builder did you use in the end? I'm looking to possibly convert mine. Tmx

I used a carpenter that got in guys to do the electrics and plumbing. He was not a local guy.

Advertisement