Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaining to those with responsibility

Options
  • 13-02-2017 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I sent this pic to Cork County Council in Mallow and had a phone call back within an hour to confirm the exact location. They were going to check it out immediately.
    Fair play for the quick response, and it shows the value of complaining reasonable to those with actual responsibility for the issue.
    409148.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

TGD wrote: »
    I sent this pic to Cork County Council in Mallow and had a phone call back within an hour to confirm the exact location. They were going to check it out immediately.
    Fair play for the quick response, and it shows the value of complaining reasonable to those with actual responsibility for the issue.
    409148.jpg

That's fine, but the fact that it was installed in the first instance, assuming it is on a surface which is easily accessed by cyclists, is rather frightening to me. It shows complete lack of awareness or disregard for potential users of the area and fitness for purpose of the grid itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Maidhci wrote: »
    That's fine, but the fact that it was installed in the first instance, assuming it is on a surface which is easily accessed by cyclists, is rather frightening to me. It shows complete lack of awareness or disregard for potential users of the area and fitness for purpose of the grid itself.

I dont think anyone installed it with malice in their hearts, its probably there for the last 50 or 60 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Maidhci wrote: »

It looks lovely me a square , sone messers or workmen may have lifted it and out in back wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I dont think anyone installed it with malice in their hearts, its probably there for the last 50 or 60 years.

I can't see from photograph, but a lot of those surface water grates come with an arrow and writing on correct installation orientation.

Too lazy to check but pretty sure it's a requirement of the relevant IS/BS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Those types of grates or similar are all over Cork city. They are rectangular so can't be installed the wrong way. I had an accident a while back and complained by e-mail with full details. Only took a year to replace it with a non-hazardous one.

The whole lot of them should be replaced but we'll probably have to wait until someone gets killed for anything to be done.

One of the real hazards with these is that when the wheel gets jammed the back of the bike will lift up and the bike will pivot either to the left or to the right. If it's to the right as happened to me you will be thrown out in front of traffic.

You'd wonder how you wouldn't see this coming but I was stopped in traffic waiting for lights to change. When I took off I was looking ahead and not down right in front of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

All the steelwork in the roads in Mallow is arseways, the manhole covers coming in from the east are in just the right spot to make the car understeer when you hit them, and the ones that aren't like that are a good 40mm under the road level, so you're knackered if you hit them too. Them grates are shocking aswell, just asking for broken front teeth if you're cycling along and don't spot that

Advertisement