Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should contracted staff not on full hours be given preference for supervision

Options
  • 13-02-2017 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currently job-sharing (not my job) and I am wondering what is the position regarding preference being given to contracted staff for paid supervision. I vaguely recall a union directive that stated this (we're an ASTI school).

The reason I ask is I am a bit angry today to see an outside sub being brought in to cover half a job for someone on sick leave (don''t have a problem with that bit) and then being given other classes (not his subject) to just supervise while I'm sitting around twiddling my thumbs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

It occurs to me (and I could be wrong) that you might not be entitled to get paid for those hours until you've already done your periods on the S&S scheme since you're under contract and it might also leave the school short later in the week when they can't ask you to do more than your two periods (or however many you have to do). Have you spoken to whoever is in charge of the S&S? There might be a good reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

RealJohn wrote: »
    It occurs to me (and I could be wrong) that you might not be entitled to get paid for those hours until you've already done your periods on the S&S scheme since you're under contract and it might also leave the school short later in the week when they can't ask you to do more than your two periods (or however many you have to do). Have you spoken to whoever is in charge of the S&S? There might be a good reason for it.

I haven't spoken to the DP yet as I wanted to get some information together first.

I don't think what you said probably applies here. I am contracted for 11 hours per week. I have 4 timetabled classes today so could have easily been given a couple of the supervision classes that went to the external sub without getting any where near the max 22 hours per week that would prevent me from doing my S&S slots later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Jane98 wrote: »
    I haven't spoken to the DP yet as I wanted to get some information together first.

I don't think what you said probably applies here. I am contracted for 11 hours per week. I have 4 timetabled classes today so could have easily been given a couple of the supervision classes that went to the external sub without getting any where near the max 22 hours per week that would prevent me from doing my S&S slots later in the week.

You should speak to the DP, in my school people on lower hours if free are always offered available paid supervision before outside subs are brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

It works both ways. Qualified teachers who have no job need to survive too. Its a really hard time for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

elsa21 wrote: »
    It works both ways. Qualified teachers who have no job need to survive too. Its a really hard time for everyone
    Oh I'd be broadly supportive of the OP here. I think they probably should be given preference. I just think there might be practical reasons they don't. If you don't have a job, I'm sorry but that's life. You're not entitled to hours in a school at the expense of those already there, just so it's more worth your while turning up. It's just that in practice, this might make it harder for schools to actually get cover so they possibly can't take that attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I think it depends on the situation. I would support giving the hours to teachers in the school that are not on full hours. However the OP stated that the hours are for a teacher on sick leave. Is that teacher going to be out for a few days? If it's paid substitution, presumably that's because the leave is certified. Are this teachers classes going to be left sitting for a few days and not be taught, and supervised only, or is it better to hire a qualified sub in that subject and have the classes taught while the teacher is absent.

As for the second part of the query, I'd imagine that on a practical level, a DP hiring a sub for a few days will try and make the short term job as attractive as possible and will provide other paid subbing hours if they are available. It's what happens in my school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I think it depends on the situation. I would support giving the hours to teachers in the school that are not on full hours. However the OP stated that the hours are for a teacher on sick leave. Is that teacher going to be out for a few days? If it's paid substitution, presumably that's because the leave is certified. Are this teachers classes going to be left sitting for a few days and not be taught, and supervised only, or is it better to hire a qualified sub in that subject and have the classes taught while the teacher is absent.

As for the second part of the query, I'd imagine that on a practical level, a DP hiring a sub for a few days will try and make the short term job as attractive as possible and will provide other paid subbing hours if they are available. It's what happens in my school.

Yeah this is what happened in any of the schools I've worked in. It's all fine giving the part time teacher the classes where the timetable suits but you can't think that a sub is going to take up the slack sitting in the staffroom for three/four classes with large spaces in between. If you're hiring a sub for the day - the DP would probably assign as much as possible. Also it is handier than matching up timetables - give the sub all the classes for the person who's out.

Advertisement