Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Major v minor car service

• 13-02-2017 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hi just got my 07 Kia ceed 1.6crdi car serviced last week. This service was a major service. The next service is due in 15000 km and this is down as a minor service as specified on the window sticker.

Can anyone tell me what is the difference? And should this not be another major service after 15000km?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It can depend on brand car and the garage.
    There is no language standard really.

A small/minor/yearly service is usually new oil, oil filter and air filter (if needed).
    At some intervals other things are changed. This is usually the "major" service..

But without a itemised list it's difficult to say.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd ask the relevant service dept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Kealyboy wrote: »
    Hi just got my 07 Kia ceed 1.6crdi car serviced last week. This service was a major service. The next service is due in 15000 km and this is down as a minor service as specified on the window sticker.

Can anyone tell me what is the difference? And should this not be another major service after 15000km?

Thanks

You need to ask the garage/dealer who just serviced your car as these terms vary widely depending on who is offering them or on the manufacturer's guidlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Details of each type of service should be in the owner's handbook?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Esel wrote: »
    Details of each type of service should be in the owner's handbook?

This.

Usually has a list of what each service should have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Best is to not trust garage that they will adequately service the car, but ask them for particular jobs.
    F.e. my car manual requires oil and oil filter change ever 20k km or 1 year.
    It also needs change of air filter, diesel filter and pollen filter every 40kkm or 2 years.
    It needs new coolant every 5 years, it needs new braking fluid every 3 years, new gearbox oil every 120kkm, etc....

Best to keep track of jobs done yourself, and then ask garage to do particular ones during service.

Unless obviously you're servicing car in main dealer from beginning, and they are going by the schedule.

Advertisement