Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bars or restaruants for solo dining

Options

Comments

Hotel bars that do food are usually "geared up" for single dining.

I used to enjoy dining alone now and again. but ever since my career started including lots of business trips away, I went off they idea.

Basically anywhere that has a bar and does food. Finding somewhere quiet is the only tricky part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

You can sit at the bar in Fade St Social. It's not quiet, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Hotel bars/restaurants are probably the best suggestion, I go there alone sometimes too. As an example, the Hilton at Ranelagh is pretty big and not very busy. The quality isn't usually great, but it ticks the boxes and can be nice to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

The bar in the Fitzwilliam is nice. Often eaten there on my own.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

New bar on Aungier St called Bow Lane bar isn't half bad at all.

I like Davy Byrne's for after work solo eating.

P. Mac's on Stephen St. is surprisingly good too. Chicken wing burger stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

http://www.metrocafe.ie

Had a few breakfasts here before Christmas for a course I was attending in Powerscourt centre ( 1min walk ) ... a lot of other solo diners at that time of morning (8am) tasty breakfast, dunno what lunch/dinner be like though..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

humberklog wrote: »
    New bar on Aungier St called Bow Lane bar isn't half bad at all.

I like Davy Byrne's for after work solo eating.

P. Mac's on Stephen St. is surprisingly good too. Chicken wing burger stuff.

P.Mac's Chicken burger is incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

The Oval Bar just off O'Connell Street is nice and a decent pint also!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Solo dine before donating blood in Bison Bar, can sit up on the high stools and that. Can't say I ever look too much out of place on my tod.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

KenjiOdo wrote: »
    http://www.metrocafe.ie

Had a few breakfasts here before Christmas for a course I was attending in Powerscourt centre ( 1min walk ) ... a lot of other solo diners at that time of morning (8am) tasty breakfast, dunno what lunch/dinner be like though..

Good for lunching alone too, I can recommend the smoked salmon salad. Yum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Finding somewhere quiet is the only tricky part.
    It doesn't even really have to be quiet, just somewhere I don't feel out of place!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I find the Bank on Dame street good too, there's plenty of people there doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm EXCELLENT company for me when dining! Coppinger Row is a good spot Jambon. Nice corner spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    You can sit at the bar in Fade St Social. It's not quiet, though.

Sorry, but while I've eaten there a good few times and would highly recommend it generally, I'm not sure I'd recommend it to someone who is specifically looking for somewhere that they'd be comfortable solo dining in. It's a really buzzing place for dates, groups, couples, parties, events etc and is always busy and while I've no doubt the restaurant would do everything to make your visit as a solo diner enjoyable, I'd avoid this and other similar in vogue restaurants if you prefer not dining solo surrounded by a full house of dining couples and groups. Sitting at the bar has that "sorry we've no table but we have a seat at the bar if you like" vibe.

Any gastropub or hotel bar is usually fine. The Porterhouse in Nassau St or Parliament St is quite good as is the Aisling hotel on Parkgate St. Bon Crubeen on Talbot St, Oscars in Smithfield, Thai Orchid on Westmoreland Street are all places I've eaten solo and enjoyed the food and felt comfortable there as a solo diner. Any casual dining place like those mentioned in the articles in OP are fine although some of them are counter service (eg Boojum).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

ongarboy wrote: »
    Sorry, but while I've eaten there a good few times and would highly recommend it generally, I'm not sure I'd recommend it to someone who is specifically looking for somewhere that they'd be comfortable solo dining in. It's a really buzzing place for dates, groups, couples, parties, events etc and is always busy and while I've no doubt the restaurant would do everything to make your visit as a solo diner enjoyable, I'd avoid this and other similar in vogue restaurants if you prefer not dining solo surrounded by a full house of dining couples and groups. Sitting at the bar has that "sorry we've no table but we have a seat at the bar if you like" vibe.

Any gastropub or hotel bar is usually fine. The Porterhouse in Nassau St or Parliament St is quite good as is the Aisling hotel on Parkgate St. Bon Crubeen on Talbot St, Oscars in Smithfield, Thai Orchid on Westmoreland Street are all places I've eaten solo and enjoyed the food and felt comfortable there as a solo diner. Any casual dining place like those mentioned in the articles in OP are fine although some of them are counter service (eg Boojum).

Food in Porterhouse, Parliament Street has noticeably decreased in quality.

Advertisement