Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Droimnin retirement homes, Stradbally - info needed

Options
  • 13-02-2017 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    my elderly and recently widowed mother is looking at buying one of the ''last remaining'' houses in this development.
    I am living abroad and I've been trying to do some digging on the net, to find out about the devlopment,  but can't find out very much about the homes.
    For example, I heard a lot of them are sold to the council - I don't have an issue with council tenants, but just wondering if it still means retirement aged people or young families, as you are supposed to be over 55 to purchase and ideally, I would like if she had some neighbours in around her age... Also, I found a newspaper article from a few years ago, talking about unfinished builds and rats/ mice problems / no electricity to street lamps at night etc.  does anyone know if this is still an issue?
    Do any of you live or know anyone living there who could give a bit of info on this development?
    Lastly, does a D BER rating for a newbuild elderly retirement home seem right? I dont think so but I am no expert
    Thanks!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lastly, does a D BER rating for a newbuild elderly retirement home seem right? I dont think so but I am no expert
    Thanks!

i dotn know anything about the development but im a BER assessor and if its a new build and a D rating its most probably electrically heated ie panel or storage heating. Its not something id get too hung up on.
    Looking at the website it also appears to be units in an over all nursing home, rather than independent sheltered houses.

The main thing to check, if buying outright and new, is that there is proper certification by an architect or engineer that inspected during construction... and not a worthless "inspection on completion" cert that covers visual inspection only.

Advertisement