Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Ivy climbing plant in full sun without support

Options
  • 13-02-2017 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for something to grow up my gable wall (but not ivy) with following conditions

In full sun
    Will be grown in a container
    Prefer a self climbing plant

Am completely baffled - any help appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I doubt you will find a plant that you can grow in a container that will make any impression on a gable wall. What size of container are you contemplating? I have had a Virginia Creeper in an oil-drum sized container for years now and it only has a very modest growth on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

As Looksee says, a large plant is going to need a large root system to support it and therefore a large container. Something like trumpet vine might be suitable for a few years provided the gable end of the house has no bare ground or beds at the base, (i.e. concrete or slabs) but you would need to make sure it doesn't get out of the container as you would soon have it everywhere. You could also try Hydrangea petiolaris, usually thought of as a shade lover but I removed a shed which was casting the shade and it seems to be still thriving. Any of these plants is going to have a short life in a container.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Ok thanks all. Unfortunately I just have tarmac down that end of the house - I was thinking of building a sort of raised bed (About 50cm deep) for the roots of my chose plant to grow in. Not sure if that helps too much

Ok thanks all. Unfortunately I just have tarmac down that end of the house - I was thinking of building a sort of raised bed (About 50cm deep) for the roots of my chose plant to grow in. Not sure if that helps too much

Not really, as the bed will be on tarmac and there will be no drainage. You could possibly put a few inches of stones in the bottom and leave a few spaces for drainage, but it will not improve the appearance of the rest of the tarmac.

Really, if you want to make a permanent feature of the climber you would be better to take out a square of the tarmac, remove the underlying stones etc and set in a wooden, or better, concrete frame to stop the tarmac from collapsing, then improve the soil. Remember though that there will probably be concrete/ concrete rubbish under where you excavate.

looksee wrote: »
    Not really, as the bed will be on tarmac and there will be no drainage. You could possibly put a few inches of stones in the bottom and leave a few spaces for drainage, but it will not improve the appearance of the rest of the tarmac.

Really, if you want to make a permanent feature of the climber you would be better to take out a square of the tarmac, remove the underlying stones etc and set in a wooden, or better, concrete frame to stop the tarmac from collapsing, then improve the soil. Remember though that there will probably be concrete/ concrete rubbish under where you excavate.

Thanks, I was thinking of putting some drainage (stones and stuff) in the bed. Don't think I'll be digging up the drive though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

How would you propose to build a raised bed, would it be self contained? You really don't want bare soil lying against the gable end of the house, especially above the level of the DPC.
    Maybe a solution would be to build a bespoke wooden trough on legs. Consideration would have to be given to the type of timber used and how to protect it from rot, the sides can be easily protected by lining with plastic but the floor and legs would have to be made of stern stuff as soil, particularly when wet, is very heavy. You could build the trough as long or as short as you wish. bearing in mind the size of the plant roots.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    How would you propose to build a raised bed, would it be self contained? You really don't want bare soil lying against the gable end of the house, especially above the level of the DPC.
    Maybe a solution would be to build a bespoke wooden trough on legs. Consideration would have to be given to the type of timber used and how to protect it from rot, the sides can be easily protected by lining with plastic but the floor and legs would have to be made of stern stuff as soil, particularly when wet, is very heavy. You could build the trough as long or as short as you wish. bearing in mind the size of the plant roots.

No there won't be any soil against the gale end of the house. I will be building a kind of trough with gravel at the bottom for drainage which I will be placing a couple of cm away from the wall right beside a drain so any overflowing water will drain onto it. I'm planning to make it about 1 meter long by about 60cm high and 60 cm wide. With this in mind could anyone suggest a self climbing plant that will grow in these conditions in full sun.

Parthenocissus quinquefolia - Virginia Creeper - would seem to be the most suitable.

Parthenocissus quinquefolia - Virginia Creeper - would seem to be the most suitable.

Great thanks - I've heard it can spread like wildfire. Would that be an issue in my set up

No, being confined in a planter will limit its growth.

• Advertisement

No, being confined in a planter will limit its growth.

great - thanks for the helpful advice

I'm thinking I may actually go wit Boston Ivy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Did you get a Boston ivy? If not, I have one looking for a good home. (I don't have room.)

Chuchote wrote: »
    Did you get a Boston ivy? If not, I have one looking for a good home. (I don't have room.)

Ah I did, thanks very much though

Advertisement