Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Civic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

I'd second the interior comment.
    Very poor. Not at all what you'd expect from a car costing 30k.

Would be slow to buy another Honda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

sozbox wrote: »

Thats a shame!

Really like the car from the outside but i agree (from a test drive) the interior felt cheap compared to a Golf for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Goes to show, I'm in love with the exterior. Saw some pics of the interior and was immediately like "owww"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Comer1

My position is that I'm currently driving a 131 Accord with 142,000 KM. I drove the 1 litre civic and thought that the sound of the engine was dreadful, obviously a lot slower than the Accord.

I had a 1.5 S Design overnight and drove it very hard that fist night. It's nice and lively but obviously the real power is at higher revs where the Accord gives great power and torque at low revs. I also drove it on my 120 km daily commute exactly as I would drive my Accord. For what it's worth, the Accord computer reported 5.2 L/100km (54mpg), which I have found to be fairly accurate and the Civic computer reported 5.9 (48mpg). With my annual driving of 35,000 km, estimate that there would be a difference of €488 running cost per year on fuel with a 10c difference between Diesel and petrol.

The Civic has better leg room in the back and a longer back door which makes getting in/out of the back a lot easier than the Accord. The passenger footwell in the Civic is more spacious. The interior of the Civic is two inches narrower than the Accord.

One big problem that I noticed with the Civics was road noise. It was very intrusive up to about 60kph.

The windscreen seemed noticeably smaller in the Civic than the Accord and it was blurry around the edges.

It's difficult to know what to do. This might be a good time to change from a diesel, and the extra space in the back of the Civic plus all the gadgets (the phone is particularly good compared to the Accord) and also the peace of mind of trouble free driving is very appealing. If I keep the Accord, I'll probably have to drive it into the ground as it's resale value will surely drop fast now.

I had always intended to change for a smaller car from the Accord as it's mainly only myself in the car. I suppose my final decision will be down to the cost of changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

Comer1 wrote: »
    My position is that I'm currently driving a 131 Accord with 142,000 KM. I drove the 1 litre civic and thought that the sound of the engine was dreadful, obviously a lot slower than the Accord.

I had a 1.5 S Design overnight and drove it very hard that fist night. It's nice and lively but obviously the real power is at higher revs where the Accord gives great power and torque at low revs. I also drove it on my 120 km daily commute exactly as I would drive my Accord. For what it's worth, the Accord computer reported 5.2 L/100km (54mpg), which I have found to be fairly accurate and the Civic computer reported 5.9 (48mpg). With my annual driving of 35,000 km, estimate that there would be a difference of €488 running cost per year on fuel with a 10c difference between Diesel and petrol.

The Civic has better leg room in the back and a longer back door which makes getting in/out of the back a lot easier than the Accord. The passenger footwell in the Civic is more spacious. The interior of the Civic is two inches narrower than the Accord.

One big problem that I noticed with the Civics was road noise. It was very intrusive up to about 60kph.

The windscreen seemed noticeably smaller in the Civic than the Accord and it was blurry around the edges.

It's difficult to know what to do. This might be a good time to change from a diesel, and the extra space in the back of the Civic plus all the gadgets (the phone is particularly good compared to the Accord) and also the peace of mind of trouble free driving is very appealing. If I keep the Accord, I'll probably have to drive it into the ground as it's resale value will surely drop fast now.

I had always intended to change for a smaller car from the Accord as it's mainly only myself in the car. I suppose my final decision will be down to the cost of changing.

That's a tough one to call. The trouble going from the accord to civic is that you are really stepping down a class.. I did the same a few years ago going from an 09 diesel accord to 142 1.6 diesel civic tourer. The 1.6 diesel is actually a peach of an engine and it might be worth hanging on a few months to see what the reported 1.6 diesel in the new civic is like.. You should be fine with resale value if you stick with Honda dealers... If you go elsewhere like I have done you will loose out..

I wouldn't be too worried about jumping from diesels just yet..

I was almost going to go for the 1.5 petrol civic but in the end I switched to a skoda 2 litre diesel dsg octavia... Collection 1st of July.. I'll miss Honda.. But like you the petrol would have cost me a fair bit more in fuel and as we need a family car the civic headroom is limited in the back.. The octavia ticked the boxes for us.. Maybe if they bring out a tourer version I'll be back to Honda... If they were making a current Accord model I'd be in that in a heartbeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Interesting review. Particularly the road noise. Both myself and my wife noticed that the road noise and other general noise was lower than our two year old Skoda diesel with the same size tyres and wheels. At the slower speeds you mentioned we were in traffic so perhaps didn't notice! My mileage is now a lot lower than yours so want a petrol this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

sozbox wrote: »

Have a look at the Autogefuhl video on you tube about 9:30 minutes in .. I saw online recently that Honda has started working on the next Civic for sale in 2020/21 ..

The trouble going from the accord to civic is that you are really stepping down a class..

That's exactly what worries me, will I be sorry to step down a class. That said, I can't stay driving my Accord forever and because I don't want to leave Honda and hate crossovers, I'm going to have to step down at some time. Apart from the engine, did you miss the drive of the Accord when going to the Civic?

I got my price, and it's what I'd consider very good, decisions...:confused:

That's exactly what worries me, will I be sorry to step down a class. That said, I can't stay driving my Accord forever and because I don't want to leave Honda and hate crossovers, I'm going to have to step down at some time. Apart from the engine, did you miss the drive of the Accord when going to the Civic?

The price from Honda is great... They offered me 3k more for my civic over what skoda offered.. They want to keep their customers

To be honest yes I did miss the Accord. It felt a lot more substantial than the civic and certain things with the civic just annoyed me.. Less head room in the front, smaller narrower, less comfortable seats, weird pedal position.. Everytime I spotted an Accord on the road wished I was back in one.. The executive model I had was lovely.. That being said the 70mpg and newer tech did go someway towards easing the pain :)

I've only sat in the new Civic and not driven so can't really comment on how it feels on the road.

Best of luck with whatever you decide...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

I previously had an accord myself, albeit the jdm euro r model and would have felt it was a class above the civic. I think with the size/road presence of the new one it might entice some owners from accords but as pointed out above it's some of the interior aspects that let it down. Don't get me wrong, it's still a nice cabin to sit in and has all the bells and whistles but it's just missing a premium feel which you'd probably expect coming from the accord. I'm not sure if the prestige model is any different on the inside other than leather, so the buttons on the steering wheel ect may still have the cheap feel.

I took the car for a spirited drive yesterday and really like the way it handles though, my daily is a type r and getting into the older civic saloon it used to feel a bit boaty in comparison, but they definitely have it to a tee on this model without any loss of comfort.

One other small gripe I have with my own and the new models that are direct injection is the engine note sounds slightly like a diesel to me, especially when turning the car off they all seem to do a spluttery plonk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Gru

My insurance is coming due for renewal and i was quoted about 480 for the renewal.

So I tried getting other quotes and encountered a peculiar issue. Most insurance companies couldnt find the car and didn't even have an option to choose a 1litre civic.

Liberty and AIG did but many other well known insurers didn't.

In addition the quotes I did get were close to 1000 euro which is a bit mad. How have others found insurance quotes on the civic?

I know insurance is a whole issue in itself but I'm curious to see how others are getting on with this car.

Gru wrote: »
    My insurance is coming due for renewal and i was quoted about 480 for the renewal.

So I tried getting other quotes and encountered a peculiar issue. Most insurance companies couldnt find the car and didn't even have an option to choose a 1litre civic.

Liberty and AIG did but many other well known insurers didn't.

In addition the quotes I did get were close to 1000 euro which is a bit mad. How have others found insurance quotes on the civic?

I know insurance is a whole issue in itself but I'm curious to see how others are getting on with this car.

Insurance for the 1.5 for me was exactly the same as my previous Skoda diesel. Just had to pay a small transfer fee.

Coming from a 131 Accord to the 1.5 Civic, mine came down by €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Coming from an 09 petrol accord to a 1.0 Civic mine came down €260 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

js35 wrote: »
    Coming from an 09 petrol accord to a 1.0 Civic mine came down €260 :)

how do you find the 1.0civic compared to 09 petrol accord which was probably a v nice car

• Registered Users Posts: 9 John108679908

They're built in Europe and not Japan.
    I drive a 2001 civic and it's supposed to be the last of the real Jap cars.
    No comparison between European built cars and Japanese, leave for dead lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes but life moves on. No point being stuck in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

They are built in swindon uk and they are just as good as the jap built ones these days. A 2001 civic is also be built in swindon if it's the ep hatchback, the es saloon was made in japan. The 2006-2011 saloon was also made in japan. Ma/Mb civics(the rover shape1995-2000)were made in swindon and were very reliable cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

aidanki wrote: »
    how do you find the 1.0civic compared to 09 petrol accord which was probably a v nice car

I find the Civic great so far nice to drive petrol costs have halved and the tax is €511 cheaper a year :) the Civic is obviously a class down from the Accord as another poster stated but to be honest I don't see too much of a difference (yet lol)

I loved the accord too but had it 5 years and wanted to change; the only issues I had with it was the colour fade the red had turned into pink and looked terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

curious about this, in what way are the Japanese built ones better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

good afternoon

irish spec sheet here can anybody tell me what the GT+ Leather Pack option is on the 1.5 GT Pack

its listed as an option but no details anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

kooga wrote: »
    good afternoon

irish spec sheet here can anybody tell me what the GT+ Leather Pack option is on the 1.5 GT Pack

its listed as an option but no details anywhere

I have a GT with Leather on order. Leather i think was 1800 extra. The GT seems to be taking a while for delivery. I ordered 3 weeks ago and was told yesterday it could be another 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

5 weeks for a new order isn't bad!

Pacifico wrote: »
    5 weeks for a new order isn't bad!
    True waited nearly three months for a new Octavia :).. My last car a civic tourer.. Ordered on Saturday had following Thursday

True waited nearly three months for a new Octavia :).. My last car a civic tourer.. Ordered on Saturday had following Thursday

The civic is made in the uk so closer to ireland than the skoda which could be a factor?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

More likely to have been already built to that spec, and was being shipped "dealer unallocated".

Not that it's that important ultimately.

As said most of the Japanese and Korean cars are built to the spec that is on offer so very little chance of a custom build from the factory, when an order is placed it's just a matter of getting the car delivered into the country which can take a few weeks depending on where it located.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It's a shame they don't do a smaller version of the new Civics. It's gotten way too big, lot of its traditional buyers were retired people or young people that didn't need a bigger family car.

That's nonsense- having owned both Japanese and English built ones. They improved as cars with every generation, the reliability and build remained the same.

• Advertisement

I thought it was very disappointing Honda dropped the Accord in Europe. Pity, as some rivals seem to be doing ok such as the VW Passat and the Mazda 6 which is quite close to the Accord except the quality would not be as high

The Accord was too expensive and people moving to crossovers so it just didn't sell enough to justify engineering a European model.

road_high wrote: »
    That's nonsense- having owned both Japanese and English built ones. They improved as cars with every generation, the reliability and build remained the same.

In fairness this isn't correct where the 6th and 7th gen cars are concerned. The 6th gen was a better car in many ways and was more reliable. The uk built 7th gen cars suffered from gearbox and power steering issues, the japanese built versions did not. Early uk built 8th gen cars weren't as well built as the jap built 8th gen cars either but with later cars and from the 9th gen on they had pretty much the same reliability.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Accord was too expensive and people moving to crossovers so it just didn't sell enough to justify engineering a European model.
    The accord suffered from being built in Japan and the yens exchange rate against the euro made it very expensive.. Very solidly built car. I'm two weeks in an octavia having been in Hondas for 17 years... It's highly specd so enjoying it so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I had the previous 4 generations of Accords too but when changing car I went for the A6 as there was no Accord option anymore. I still miss it except for the diesel bill.

Funnily enough, I still see the odd 15 reg knocking around and they still look really well, particularly for a model that's out since 2008.

Cortecs wrote: »
    I had the previous 4 generations of Accords too but when changing car I went for the A6 as there was no Accord option anymore. I still miss it except for the diesel bill.

Funnily enough, I still see the odd 15 reg knocking around and they still look really well, particularly for a model that's out since 2008.
    Agree with you.. Fair play the people who bought in 15..i see few around Dublin. The shape is pretty modern.. The diesel bill was a bit heavy alright.. Id say I wasn't getting much more than 40mpg.

Anyone with the new civic in 1.5 with cvt yet? I was severely tempted by one..

• Advertisement

Agree with you.. Fair play the people who bought in 15..i see few around Dublin. The shape is pretty modern.. The diesel bill was a bit heavy alright.. Id say I wasn't getting much more than 40mpg.

Anyone with the new civic in 1.5 with cvt yet? I was severely tempted by one..

Yeah, she was a bit heavy on diesel. 80 mile round trip 5 days a week was about 47mpg but it was mostly main road. Drank it in town though.

If they brought out another Accord, which they won't, I'd change back to it whenever I'm changing again I think.

The new Civic performed well in the "Moose" test :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69yPK2CbV8

Has anybody got the S Design with mud guards? If so, could you post pictures please.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I'm contemplating a 1.5 (CVT) with the GT pack - just wondering how people are getting on with theirs?

Nate

.......so......just bought a 171 CVT S-Design in White - collect next Saturday - Christmas has come early :)

Nate

• Advertisement

.......so......just bought a 171 CVT S-Design in White - collect next Saturday - Christmas has come early :)

Nate

Cool is she the 1.5? Well wear

Yep it is the 1.5. The CVT and 1.5 really work well together, its great to drive.

Nate

Yep it is the 1.5. The CVT and 1.5 really work well together, its great to drive.

Nate

Would really like to test drive that combination sometime. Honda man at heart but changed for a dsg 2 litre diesel Octavia in the summer.

If you get a chance, do try it out - I have to say it surprised me - that said I'm coming from a Jazz (Fit) with a CVT so....

The use of low end Torque is the biggest plus, the car gets moving with no fuss whatsoever, and when you kick down or use S (Smile mode I think its called) it's great fun.

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have seen so few of these around since they were launched...maybe 3 or 4.

Are they selling badly?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have seen so few of these around since they were launched...maybe 3 or 4.

Are they selling badly?

I see a few around Kilkenny/Kikldare/Carlow daily. It depends on where there's dealers, certain parts of the country and Honda dealers are very scarce.

Good few around Wexford too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Frank11

Do you mind me asking how much you paid? I got a quote of €34,500 for the GT Auto with leather.

Nate

Frank11 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how much you paid? I got a quote of €34,500 for the GT Auto with leather.

Lowest quote I got was €31,600 (cash price) for a new GT auto, but no leather. I'll Suggest checking with Honda Kildare (Brian) and Honda Portloaise (Clive). I'd recommend them both.

My 171 S-Design Auto was €25,500 + Spare wheel kit thrown in, from Portlaoise.

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

My first Honda, is there a service/oil change interval or do I let the car tell me.

I couldn't quite understand the service book.

• Advertisement
Advertisement