Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Civic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have managed just fine with kids and 12 years of driving them around in an EP3 Civic.

Son sat back in hatchback last year and his head hit roof and wife said that's that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Son sat back in hatchback last year and his head hit roof and wife said that's that..

Was it a Civic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I was in the US a couple if weeks ago and the Civic saloon is already available over there. Nice looking car and I'd imagine it might draw back some of the Accord owners who had no alternative in the Honda stable when the Accord was discontinued. I was one of those and drove Accords from 1993 till 2016 when they were discontinued.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Was it a Civic?

Yep 10g hatch

Cortecs wrote: »
    I was in the US a couple if weeks ago and the Civic saloon is already available over there. Nice looking car and I'd imagine it might draw back some of the Accord owners who had no alternative in the Honda stable when the Accord was discontinued. I was one of those and drove Accords from 1993 till 2016 when they were discontinued.

Yeah it would if honda released it it anything other than 1 litre petrol and 1.6 diesel engine.. An accord owner at 150bhp isn't going to step back to 125bhp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I've a feeling the 1.5 is being held back for some marketing/sales reason, and may follow on later/next year. Nothing to back that up though.

Nate

I've a feeling the 1.5 is being held back for some marketing/sales reason, and may follow on later/next year. Nothing to back that up though.

Nate

The new crv is out in September with 1.5 petrol and then as a 2 litre hybrid in January.. Maybe they will bring a 2 litre hybrid in the saloon to..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, I ended up changing to an A6 190 S-tronic and I wouldn't be able to drop back to a 125 BHP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

The so called "new" saloon Honda reminds of the "new" version Gen 10 I've been seeing in South asia for the last year.Boring 80s I'm 5'11" and could sit in the rear.

beachhead wrote: »
    The so called "new" saloon Honda reminds of the "new" version Gen 10 I've been seeing in South asia for the last year.Boring 80s I'm 5'11" and could sit in the rear.

I'm 5 11 and can fit in the rear :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Yeah it would if honda released it it anything other than 1 litre petrol and 1.6 diesel engine.. An accord owner at 150bhp isn't going to step back to 125bhp

I did last year! Changed from a 2l 150bhp type s accord to a 1.0 smart plus civic, and tbh I’ve no regrets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Nate

Seems to be a few 1.5 petrol 182 bhp on carzone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Seems to be a few 1.5 petrol 182 bhp on carzone

I think he is talking about the saloon rather than the hatchback. They are not offering the 1.5 petrol here in the saloon.

Ah apologies I should have been clearer, I meant in the Saloon.

EDIT:-- Too slow :)

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Ah I see, nice car by the way.

Have always liked Hondas - the first car I was insured in was my dads 1992 2.0 Accord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I'm sitting in a Honda garage waiting for an oil change on my 8th gen civic so a good time to look at the new civic.
    I'm 6'1'' and the 1.5 with sunroof has loads of headroom in the front (More than my 8th gen) and enough in the back as my head is about or 2 inches from the roof.

Everything looked very good apart from seat materials and the way the doors are welded unlike ford focus and Peugeot for example who must press the door metal into shape, to me it's annoying and a bit cheap looking and a place for future rust and maybe a weak point if the car is broken into.

The automatic with leather looks excellent inside.
    The red, black blue and dark grey look very nice but then again so does any car in a showroom.

It's a very nice car.

Phil.x wrote: »
    I'm sitting in a Honda garage waiting for an oil change on my 8th gen civic so a good time to look at the new civic.
    I'm 6'1'' and the 1.5 with sunroof has loads of headroom in the front (More than my 8th gen) and enough in the back as my head is about or 2 inches from the roof.

Everything looked very good apart from seat materials and the way the doors are welded unlike ford focus and Peugeot for example who must press the door metal into shape, to me it's annoying and a bit cheap looking and a place for future rust and maybe a weak point if the car is broken into.

The automatic with leather looks excellent inside.
    The red, black blue and dark grey look very nice but then again so does any car in a showroom.

It's a very nice car.
    Has the sunroof model more headroom in the back? When I sit in the hatch with head back against headrest my head hits the ridge in the roof.. I'm onky 5 11 and it's not my hairstyle getting in the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Just went out to test the back of my civic (1.5 With sunroof). Never really checked before..

I'm also 5' 11". If I sit rigidly upright my head just touches the roof, but if you move your bum a few inches forward in the seat then there is a few inches spare headroom. There is loads of leg room providing the front seat is not all the way back, so a slightly reclined sitting position is quite comfortable.

My lanky teenage son is 6' 1", just asked him what he thinks of the back seat. He replied no problem, perfectly comfortable. But teenagers are inclined to slouch.

And our last car was a Skoda Superb..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 up3mxn8s9l4fr2

Does much of a difference exist, if any between the 2015 1.6 diesel and the 2018 model. Price difference from a local garage is 10-11k between a 152 and 181.

The newer model is nicer but I wouldn't say it moves the needle enough to justify the money for me anyway.
    However, if the engine was substantially better and even more reliable, I'd consider it.
    It's a commuter so fuel efficiency is important

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Has the sunroof model more headroom in the back? When I sit in the hatch with head back against headrest my head hits the ridge in the roof.. I'm onky 5 11 and it's not my hairstyle getting in the way :)

Sunroof models generally have less headroom

Does much of a difference exist, if any between the 2015 1.6 diesel and the 2018 model. Price difference from a local garage is 10-11k between a 152 and 181.

The newer model is nicer but I wouldn't say it moves the needle enough to justify the money for me anyway.
    However, if the engine was substantially better and even more reliable, I'd consider it.
    The new diesel needs to be serviced every 10k km. The older ever 20k. That's a lot more servicing. I'd say in terms of fuel efficiency pretty similar. The newer model runs the dpf nearly full time to meet efficiency and emissions targets. I'd worry about then longevity of the dpf etc

The new diesel needs to be serviced every 10k km. The older ever 20k. That's a lot more servicing. I'd say in terms of fuel efficiency pretty similar. The newer model runs the dpf nearly full time to meet efficiency and emissions targets. I'd worry about then longevity of the dpf etc

That's quite a difference then, the only thing that would sway me is that I think the newer model will have a far higher residual value than than the older model.

I have looked at a 1.6 Leon vs 1.6 Civic from garages in the same area, similar mileage etc and the Leon sells for 1k less.
    The residual value of the older model Civic seems to be quite low as the 152 I've viewed was 28k new.
    Quite a bit of value in the older model Civic in many ways but I expect the residual value to take a further hit with the new model out.
    The servicing would certainly sway me though

Sunroof models generally have less headroom

As far as I can see, it makes no difference in the back of the Civic.

The glass roof lifts and extends externally.

That's quite a difference then, the only thing that would sway me is that I think the newer model will have a far higher residual value than than the older model.

I have looked at a 1.6 Leon vs 1.6 Civic from garages in the same area, similar mileage etc and the Leon sells for 1k less.
    The residual value of the older model Civic seems to be quite low as the 152 I've viewed was 28k new.
    Quite a bit of value in the older model Civic in many ways but I expect the residual value to take a further hit with the new model out.
    The servicing would certainly sway me though
    As a ballpark any car will be about half its new price after three years. Well that's what I've been told. I had the diesel in the tourer version 142 and it's lovely balance of power and economy. The Honda 1.6 seemed to have about 40 nm extra torgue than other 1.6s. Not sure if that still holds true.

The new model is a totally different car to the previous model.

Driving dynamics are very good, great driving position, steering and gearbox.

I have owned the 1.5 GT S Spec for over a year and love it!

You say the car will be used as a commuter. What mileage daily roughly? And type of roads?

• Advertisement

eagerv wrote: »
    The new model is a totally different car to the previous model.

Driving dynamics are very good, great driving position, steering and gearbox.

I have owned the 1.5 GT S Spec for over a year and love it!

You say the car will be used as a commuter. What mileage daily roughly? And type of roads?

I thought petrol as I know fuel efficiency is quite good in them. In the short term, it will be 850-900km per week but I expect it to reach 1000-1100km per week in about 12 weeks time.

Primiarly motorway

I thought petrol as I know fuel efficiency is quite good in them. In the short term, it will be 850-900km per week but I expect it to reach 1000-1100km per week in about 12 weeks time.

Primiarly motorway

That's fairly high mileage alright.

Cannot comment on the new Civic diesel as no experience of it, but friends with the previous model claim great consumption figures.

Cannot comment on the new Civic diesel as no experience of it, but friends with the previous model claim great consumption figures.

I heard the same, it's quite good. One off putting thing on Honda for me anyway is that the cost of credit is that much higher than anything provided by Volkswagen Group.

For example, a main Skoda dealer offered 1.9% PCP finance on a VRS 184 2015 23k with a total cost of credit of 1650e.
    2015 Civic for approx 15k costs 2300 so that's a factor for me.
    I know PCP doesn't suit me but the intention would be to avail of low credit and pay it off at the end.

Lots to consider I suppose

I heard the same, it's quite good. One off putting thing on Honda for me anyway is that the cost of credit is that much higher than anything provided by Volkswagen Group.

For example, a main Skoda dealer offered 1.9% PCP finance on a VRS 184 2015 23k with a total cost of credit of 1650e.
    2015 Civic for approx 15k costs 2300 so that's a factor for me.
    I know PCP doesn't suit me but the intention would be to avail of low credit and pay it off at the end.

Lots to consider I suppose
    Yes that annoyed me to re pcp. They are doing a deal on the new diesel I think? The new car should be more comfortable than the old. It's a complete redesign with better suspension in the back. If you are not heavy footed I was getting 70 plus mpg in my tourer. That's driving at 125 etc on motorways and not tearing the hole out of it.

Yes that annoyed me to re pcp. They are doing a deal on the new diesel I think? The new car should be more comfortable than the old. It's a complete redesign with better suspension in the back. If you are not heavy footed I was getting 70 plus mpg in my tourer. That's driving at 125 etc on motorways and not tearing the hole out of it.

Yeah I think the deal is 3.9% HP for the diesel which is quite low tbf. 460ish over 5 years 2.5k cost of credit. That's not terrible tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

What's the price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

CiniO wrote: »
    What's the price?

E290_DFA9-8440-4_E32-_BEDB-9_D583_ADC92_DC.jpg

Big enough premium for the diesel considering the VRT rate is lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Frank11

I left mine (1.5 petrol) in for 1st service at the start of March. I told the guy about the front parking sensors sounding randomly. Seems to happen when it is raining out. He said it was a know problem that Honda are working on and said when a fix was available I would be notified. He said the front of the car has to be redesigned and replaced.
    Anybody else experiencing this and did you report it to the dealer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Frank11 wrote: »
    He said the front of the car has to be redesigned and replaced.

Couldn't hurt. See if they'll redesign the arse while they are at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It's not so much a redesign, the front grille needs to be replaced. It's a common enough issue with those models, the way the front grille is designed can cause the sensors to go mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I left mine (1.5 petrol) in for 1st service at the start of March. I told the guy about the front parking sensors sounding randomly. Seems to happen when it is raining out. He said it was a know problem that Honda are working on and said when a fix was available I would be notified. He said the front of the car has to be redesigned and replaced.

What you think of 1.5 engine? Punchy enough?
    Speaking of service, I heard those engines need service every 10k km?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

the way the front grille is designed can cause the sensors to go mental.

It doesn't cause me to go mental, just a bit ill. Still better than the back end, though.

Mine does this too - didn't bother me enough to complain about it. I find the Auto Wipers governed by chaos theory more annoying :)

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Frank11

The 1.5 can move alright. The car looks after the service intervals with reminders so i'm not too sure but i think i remember reading every 10k km alright.
    I do a lot of short trips and not on motorway too much and i'm finding it not great on petrol, I haven't got he figures in front of me but its something like 11l/100km
    The auto wipers are a pain alright, I can't find 1 setting that suits.
    What you think of 1.5 engine? Punchy enough?
    Speaking of service, I heard those engines need service every 10k km?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

A few times the adaptive cruise warning sensors have just come on when I wasn't using it.
    Said it to the service manager when in for service but they could find no issue is every & said they had no other reports of any problems.
    Service interval on the 1.5 is 15k, the system will let you know.

Motorway driving 80km round trip I am getting 5.7l / 100, that's in economy mode though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I get between 5.7 and 6.3 l/100km in the 1.5, probably half motorway driving. Oddly enough, when the weather is good (20+ degrees, a rarity), I get way better mileage (5.5-5.8 or thereabouts).

I have no issue with the autowipers.

Interesting to hear about the front parking sensors. It happened to me a couple of times and come to think of it, it was raining, and only when stopped in traffic using Brake Hold.

I was stopped in traffic one day and the front parking sensor was going off (in error). I went to push the button to turn them off, and accidently pushed the headlight washers. Some poor old dear crossing the road in front of me got a good shower of window washer. At least it was raining heavy to wash it off her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Comer1

My 1.5 is giving me 46mpg to 48mpg, but I'm not a fast driver. I just like the power when I want to overtake. It doesn't have the low rev power of my old Accord but at the high revs, it does has more acceleration.

The front sensor issue is definitely related to rain. I also had very annoying squeal in the brakes for the first 30,000 KM but that seems to have all but gone now. I too have had instances of where the dash will go ape with warnings and then the ACC will disable itself. I always assumed it had something to do with the radar. A restart of the car always sorted it. Obviously in snow the ACC will shut down as the radar will become caked with snow.

The auto wipers have a mind of their own and changing the setting seems to do nothing. I also find the quality of the wipers to be crap, they last no length until they are squeaking and hopping across the windscreen.

Overall, it's a lovely car to drive, great power at high revs, very nice seating position and great to throw into a bend. It's a pity Honda would not put this engine into the saloon for the Irish market as it might be a more age appropriate car for me:).

Does anybody know if the collision mitigation system will actually apply the breaks to stop the car or just flash the orange warning with a beep?

Comer1 wrote: »
    My 1.5 is giving me 46mpg to 48mpg, but I'm not a fast driver. I just like the power when I want to overtake. It doesn't have the low rev power of my old Accord but at the high revs, it does has more acceleration.

The front sensor issue is definitely related to rain. I also had very annoying squeal in the brakes for the first 30,000 KM but that seems to have all but gone now. I too have had instances of where the dash will go ape with warnings and then the ACC will disable itself. I always assumed it had something to do with the radar. A restart of the car always sorted it. Obviously in snow the ACC will shut down as the radar will become caked with snow.

The auto wipers have a mind of their own and changing the setting seems to do nothing. I also find the quality of the wipers to be crap, they last no length until they are squeaking and hopping across the windscreen.

Overall, it's a lovely car to drive, great power at high revs, very nice seating position and great to throw into a bend. It's a pity Honda would not put this engine into the saloon for the Irish market as it might be a more age appropriate car for me.

Does anybody know if the collision mitigation system will actually apply the breaks to stop the car or just flash the orange warning with a beep?

I also have the 1.5. (S-GT Spec)

I also get very similar overall fuel consumption to you, all calculated, I brim to brim the tank every fill. I don't trust the computer MPG though it does give an indication. A recent long trip in good weather with some motorway gave 5.2 L/100 (54 MPG) actual.

I drive normally, not usually slowly, but try to drive smoothly. Rarely use A/C except to defog windows. Also rarely use adaptive cruise control. Also my driving is often on roads with lower speed limits and fairly flat.

Love the car, almost two years old, still look forward to every drive. Driving normally engine is smooth and economical, but great to have the power when you need it.

Also impressed with the paint, no chips or swirls, looks as good as the day it came out of the showroom. Mine is the Sporty Blue.

Only complaint is that it's not very refined. Quite a lot of road noise on some surfaces. Also some noise from boot which is probably due to silly boot cover. Bit of wind noise also around roof even when closed. Again a decent sound proofed blind would help. Generally doesn't worry me, just turn up the 450 Watts a bit.:)

Looks are subjective, I like it. Still get many compliments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Comer1

How could I have forgotten the road noise!? Yes, it is absolutely dreadful on the factory tyres, especially on a very smooth surface. I'm due to change alk four tyres in a couple of months and I'm really hoping that will improve things.

Mine is in white, I also like the look and it's definitely a car that turns heads and gets lots of compliments. Definitely a bit of a marmite look though.

Another thing I find brilliant is the road sign recognition speed limiter. I am sure it has saved me a few times when I have missed the signs. I usually increase it by a few kms to allow for speedo error.

Yes it does apply the brakes, if you ignore the warning.

Forgot to mention, I got a scare using ACC when new to car. Car suddenly braked when passing a car on the inside (He was turning right and was stopped in right turning lane on a badly marked single carriage way) Have since turned off 'turn in protection'.

Otherwise all the electronics have worked perfectly except for the usual snow/muck on the radar sensor. Love the lane follow assist or whatever it is called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

I too have had instances of where the dash will go ape with warnings and then the ACC will disable itself. I always assumed it had something to do with the radar. A restart of the car always sorted it.

Have you ever had diagnostics done at service time? I had the dash light up a few times with ACC errors and it turned out to be a faulty lane assist cam (the one where the mirror is)

The grill issue is supposed to have been resolved but I've still not seen a replacement, months back Honda said it was in production but it doesnt seem to have surfaced yet

I'm in the US for the summer and the Honda presence here is something else. Ton of crvs all wheel drives on the roads and the new Civic is everywhere.. I guess the market is so big over here Honda don't give a crap about Europe.. they sponsor lot of stuff here to like sports etc on the tv.. got a spin in colleagues crv the other week and lovely spec.. it's pity we are ignored in the EU.. even if they give us a 180bhp Civic petrol saloon be something.. they have a Honda passport here which is an interesting looking small cross like a low Rav 4.. hrv, pilot and odessy models as well.. nevermind the number of acrura models you see on the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Love Honda too and it’s a pity their range is so limited here and indeed expensive. They carry a massive name and reputation in the USA that isn’t the same herd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I saw an awful lot of Civics when I was in Toronto, it seemed like almost every second car was one. You'd see Civics as much as you'd see Audi here. They're a nice car and I quite like the design. Good spec on them too.

Advertisement