Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logging my jogging

Options
  • 13-02-2017 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hope you don't mind me spamming Boards with my training log.

About me:
    I'm an unfit 31 year old male. I've tried to get into running a few times over the past few years by doing C25K. My first attempt was in 2014 when I struggled to run for 1 minute in the first week. I got up to running for about 5 minutes at a time, then I'm not sure what happened but I stopped. Same again in 2015. Then I tried again in 2016 and completed my first Parkrun in October in 34:37. I was enjoying running, instead of finding it a constant struggle. I continued running and managed to get up to running 6.5 miles in 1h05. I've not done a lot of running over winter, but can still do 5k quite comfortably. Now that winter is nearly over and the evenings are getting a bit lighter I want to run more regularly and increase my distance.

Goals for this year:
    There is a half marathon at the end of June I would like to do. To do this I hope to build up to running 10-15 miles per week by the end of March and then start on the Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan. My target time for the half would probably be about 02:30:00.

I did a 4.2 mile run yesterday in 43:40 (average pace 10:11 per mile). I need to work on my pace as I had meant to do this at a much more comfortable pace of 11 min per mile. After about 3 miles I was really starting to struggle and should probably have stopped and walked the rest but I was stubborn and continued on. Afterwards my lower right leg was quite sore and still is today, it is always the right leg that gives me a problem and I'm hoping its just because I've over done it a bit by running too fast and too far for my ability. I've noticed that when trying to balance on one leg my right leg is a lot more unstable than the left, I guess I need to find some exercises to help with that, if anyone has any suggestions or advice I'll gladly take it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Not sure if you're into yoga, but I had similar issues with my right leg before and found "tree pose" very good. Best of luck with the log.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

tailgunner wrote: »
    Not sure if you're into yoga, but I had similar issues with my right leg before and found "tree pose" very good. Best of luck with the log.

Yes tree pose and simply practice standing on one leg. When it gets easier (you can hold it for a minute comfortably) progress to doing things while standing on one leg e.g. brush your teeth. And then there's single leg squats which work the glutes but also requires good balance ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RunnerGarf

Thanks guys I will definitely look into the tree pose and give it a go this week. I have considered doing some form of yoga or pilates to help with my runnning, just not sure where to start. I've also started standing on one leg randomly throughout the day when I get a chance to try and improve my balance. Thanks for the tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

yehawe wrote: »
    Thanks guys I will definitely look into the tree pose and give it a go this week. I have considered doing some form of yoga or pilates to help with my runnning, just not sure where to start. I've also started standing on one leg randomly throughout the day when I get a chance to try and improve my balance. Thanks for the tips.

When the standing on one leg gets easier , close your eyes while doing it.

Last week:
    Not really much of an update, only managed to get out and do 2m during the week. Really disappointed in myself that I didn't go out and run when I had planned to. But on a positive note my leg felt good after the run. I have been trying the tree pose as suggested (doing a modified version as I can't get my leg high enough) and also standing on one leg. It seems to be helping so will continue with those.

Plan for this week:

Mon: Rest
    Tue: 2m
    Wed: Rest
    Thu: 2m
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 3.1m Parkrun
    Sun: 4.2m
    Planned Total: 11.3m

If I stick to the plan this week I won't feel as bad about messing up last week as it will be the longest weekly mileage I've done in a good while. If I don't run again this week then I guess theres not much point in me having this log!

Been looking at Strava to see what my PB's are over certain distances. These are just from training runs and are from the "Estimated Best Efforts" so nothing offical:

1k: 4:53
    1mile: 8:58
    5k: 29:42
    10k: 1:02:02

Should be able to knock a good bit off all of these if I run a bit more regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

"Goals for this year:
    There is a half marathon at the end of June I would like to do. To do this I hope to build up to running 10-15 miles per week by the end of March and then start on the Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan. My target time for the half would probably be about 02:30:00."

Good luck with your plan. It is exactly the same as mine, first half marathon on the 18th of June and hoping to do it in 2 hours 30 minutes too. Will be following your progress with interest.

gypsylee wrote: »
    "Goals for this year:
    There is a half marathon at the end of June I would like to do. To do this I hope to build up to running 10-15 miles per week by the end of March and then start on the Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan. My target time for the half would probably be about 02:30:00."

Good luck with your plan. It is exactly the same as mine, first half marathon on the 18th of June and hoping to do it in 2 hours 30 minutes too. Will be following your progress with interest.
    Thanks gypsylee, just noticed your log and had a read through. Seems like your training is going well. Are you following a training plan for the half marathon?

Hi yehawe. Planning to follow the Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan also as recommended by a Boardsie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

You both have me worried now that I'm trying to overreach, as I started running in July, and am following the Hal Higdon Novice II plan. I am coping with it so far, ran 7 miles yesterday, but it was very hard work.

muddypaws wrote: »
    You both have me worried now that I'm trying to overreach, as I started running in July, and am following the Hal Higdon Novice II plan. I am coping with it so far, ran 7 miles yesterday, but it was very hard work.

I wouldn't worry! I just thought I'd go with novice 1 plan as I'm just hoping to make it to the end. Well done on the 7 miles, I'm sure if you stick to the plan you'll complete it no bother. At the minute I'd be happy if I was just out running regularly every week.

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »

Well done on your running so far. If you feel comfortable with the plan stick with it. We all know what we are capable of. I started this running lark a bit older than most so I am happy to just be able to get out there and run even if I am somewhat slow. To finish the half marathon will be a big issue for me. I am going to concentrate on getting the miles in my legs and not worry too much about the time at this stage. Will probably be last on the day but sure someone has to be! Good luck with your training. When is the half marathon you are planning on doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

gypsylee wrote: »
    Well done on your running so far. If you feel comfortable with the plan stick with it. We all know what we are capable of. I started this running lark a bit older than most so I am happy to just be able to get out there and run even if I am somewhat slow. To finish the half marathon will be a big issue for me. I am going to concentrate on getting the miles in my legs and not worry too much about the time at this stage. Will probably be last on the day but sure someone has to be! Good luck with your training. When is the half marathon you are planning on doing?

I started at 51 and very unfit, so like you, just keeping going is enough for me at the moment, I will concentrate on speed once this plan is finished. I don't have a particular half that I'm aiming for, but want to do DCM, so thought if I can train and do the half distance, then I'd know if I could cope with a full marathon. Have a 10K entered in May, and an adventure race which includes a 10K run during the summer, and I'm doing 5K canicross races fairly regularly, which the half marathon plan has definitely helped with. Would love to do the Rock n Roll, just have to work out which distance to go for.

Being last is fine, even though I know some 'proper' runners might disagree, but to keep going, when you know you're not going to win or come close, I think, is to be admired (but that might be because thats usually me ;) )

Plan for this week:

Mon: Rest
    Wed: Rest
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 3.1m Parkrun
    Sun: 4.2m
    Planned Total: 11.3m

W/C 20/02/2017
    Tue: Weather outside wasn't great so I just went on the treadmill out in the garage. Not sure I trust the speed/distance on it and I can't find a manual for it anywhere on the net. I was running between speed 6 and 7 most of the time and done around 27minutes, and the final distance read 3. It felt as fast if not faster than if I was on the road, but theres no way I done 3 miles in 27 minutes, and it wasn't slow enough to be 3km. Either way it was 27minutes of running and I know if I'd went out on the road for that length of time I would have done somewhere between 2 and 2.5 miles.

Thu: 25minutes on the treadmill.

Sat: 3.1 Parkrun in 34:21 (Avg pace 11:03/mile) Took it at what was supposed to be a nice easy pace as I was hoping to run on Sunday also. Found I was sweating a lot more that usual but thought nothing of it, just put it down to an off day.

Sun: Was hoping to do a 4m run but woke up with bad case of man flu, shivering, sore all over etc.

Plan for this week:
    Rest and recover from flu. Bit disappointed that I've got sick as I was looking forward to running and was feeling good about it. But I guess its better happening now than in the middle of the 12 week Half Marathon plan, just over a month until that starts.

Well done on the Parkrun time.

Hope you feel better soon. Plenty of rest and you will be raring to get out there running when you feel better.

W/C 27/02/2017
    No running as I was recovering from the flu. Still had a bit of a chesty cough so thought it best to recover properly before running again.

W/C 06/03/2017
    Thu: 2m Avg Pace 10:18 First run in a week and a half and I found it ok. I had to stop for a few minutes to try and get a neighbours dog to stay and not follow me home. Avg pace is based on the moving time so the few minutes spent with the dog probably helped me recover for the final 1/2 mile.

Sun: 4.2m Avg moving pace 12:21. Found this very tough, I just couldn't run for some reason. My breathing felt ok, legs didn't feel tired or sore, but they felt heavy and I just kept wanting to stop. I managed 1.5m before stopping and considered just turning and going back. Sat down for a couple of minutes and decided I may as well continue. Walked/jogged the rest of the route and took 1 hr total, so the moving time in Strave makes it not look as bad as it was.

Really disappointed i wasn't able to run the whole thing on Sunday, not sure what was wrong as I know I can run 3m not problem when I go to Parkrun. Putting it down to an off day and will try and stick to the plan this week and see if things improve.

Plan for this week:

Sun: 4m

I also plan on doing plenty of strecthes to try and improve my flexibitly, going to try and find a good program to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

I also plan on doing plenty of strecthes to try and improve my flexibitly, going to try and find a good program to follow.

I use the Gerard Hartmann perfect 10 for flexibility http://www.irishrunner.ie/ger-hartmanns-perfect-10-stretches/
    Best of luck with your running and the log.

jake1970 wrote: »
    I use the Gerard Hartmann perfect 10 for flexibility http://www.irishrunner.ie/ger-hartmanns-perfect-10-stretches/
    Best of luck with your running and the log.

Thanks for that, I was struggling to find a something that looked suitable but this looks perfect.

Ok so I haven't been running recently, I kind of lost my motivation and became lazy. Trying to get back to it again before I lose what little fitness I had built up.

Saturday - 06/05/2017
    Went to a local running club that was starting a beginners course. I'm hoping being part of a club will help with the motivation. I really enjoyed the first session, lots of walking/running intervals and a few big hills too. No idea how far we went but was out for about 45 minutes. Felt good to be back running and I think the fear of being last or holding the group up will keep me training during the week.

Monday - 08/05/2017
    Distance: 2mile Avg Pace: 11:13
    I was hoping to go for a 5k run but only ended up doing 2 miles. It was a warm evening and I haven't been running regularly for nearly 2 months so I'm not too disappointed.

My new short term goal is to get 5k in under 30 minutes. There is a local 10k race on the 24th June which has a 5k "fun run" as well. I will aim for this as being the event I get under 30 minutes although I'm not sure if the 5k run is timed or not saying its a fun run.
    I did one training run towards the end of last year in 29:42. I don't feel like it will take me too long to get back to that level so I think the end of June is a realistic target. (This is a long way off my target from the start of the year which was for a Half Marathon at the end of June)

A longer term goal is to run a 10k in under 60 minutes by the end of this year.

No earth shattering records here but these would feel like an achievment for me.

Tuesday 09/05/2017
    I decided I would try something different and try and do a mile as quick as I could. I was confident I could beat my previous best of 8:58 which was set as part of a 5k training run last year.
    I set off about 7:30 pace and managed to keep this up to about 0.6 miles, then I had to walk for a bit. I walked until the avg pace on my watch said 9:00 then started running again. By the time I finished this was down to 8:33 and strava told me I had set 4 PR's:
    Best estimated 1 mile effort (8:33)
    Best estimated 1k effort (4:44)
    Best estimated 1/2 mile effort (3:46)
    Best estimated 400m effort (1:46)

I'm going to try this maybe once a month or so to try and keep the training interesting. Usually I just head out for a 5k run at about 10 to 11 min/mile pace, but i need to vary this a bit and include some faster runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Good to see you back logging yehawe, I got a bit worried about you because you disappeared after I had recommended the flexibility excercises:).

• Advertisement

Tuesday 09/05/2017[/B]
    I set off about 7:30 pace and managed to keep this up to about 0.6 miles, then I had to walk for a bit. I walked...

Seeing as you've now got a baseline for the mile (8:33), maybe next time set off at 8:30 pace and try to maintain it for the full mile rather than run hell for leather and having to walk some. Once you set your PB for a full mile running steadily continuously then you can work on bringing it down.
    I'm going to try this maybe once a month or so to try and keep the training interesting. Usually I just head out for a 5k run at about 10 to 11 min/mile pace, but i need to vary this a bit and include some faster runs

Maybe do some repeats over shorter distances like 6 x 200m or 4 x 400m. Or if you don't have a GPS do 6 x 1 min hard with 1-2 min recovery between reps. Including warm-up and cool-down it could be a 5k run. If you do a session like this fairly consistently every week you will see your mile time drop.

jake1970 wrote: »
    Good to see you back logging yehawe, I got a bit worried about you because you disappeared after I had recommended the flexibility excercises:).

Lol nothing to do with your exercises, more my own laziness. I struggle with my head sometimes and just don't feel like heading out the door for a run. Usually when I'm out though I enjoy it, sometimes getting out the door is the hardest part.
    ariana` wrote: »
    Seeing as you've now got a baseline for the mile (8:33), maybe next time set off at 8:30 pace and try to maintain it for the full mile rather than run hell for leather and having to walk some. Once you set your PB for a full mile running steadily continuously then you can work on bringing it down.

I did mean to head off at about 9:00 pace and make a push at the last if I could, but as soon as I started I was away too fast and just kept going as long as I could. I will have to learn to be more disciplined when it comes to sticking to a pace. I did enjoy the run though and that was my aim, just to get out and run as fast as I could to see what I could do. I know to improve I will have to train smarter than that!

ariana` wrote: »
    Maybe do some repeats over shorter distances like 6 x 200m or 4 x 400m. Or if you don't have a GPS do 6 x 1 min hard with 1-2 min recovery between reps. Including warm-up and cool-down it could be a 5k run. If you do a session like this fairly consistently every week you will see your mile time drop.

Thanks ariana, I will try something like this on my next 5k run, it should make the run more interesting for me.

Saturday 13/05/2017:
    2.6miles
    Avg pace 11:35

This was the running club training I have started to go to. We done a warm up of walking/jogging intervals then 100m run, rest, 100m run, rest, 200m run and repeated that 4 times to make up almost a mile of running. Tried going as fast as I could on some of the runs, the competitive streak came out in me and I was getting frustrated with seeing people go past me!
    Then it was a walk/jog back to the start to cool down follwed by some stretches.

Sunday 14/05/2017:

2.8 miles
    Total: 30:13
    Avg Pace 10:31

I decided I would try an interval run of my own with a 6minute jog to warm up followed by 6 repeats of 1minute fast, 2 minutwes slow and then a 6minute jog to cool down to make up a total of 30minutes. I'm going to call this the Devils Workout (6-6-6).

6min warm up - 11:09 pace
    1min fast - 7:51
    2min rec - 10:23
    1min fast - 8:10
    2min rec - 10:52
    1min fast - 7:49
    2min rec - 10:27
    1min fast - 7:59
    2min rec - 17:46 - had to walk as the outside of my right calf was giving a bit of bother.
    1min fast - 7:39
    2min rec - 10:39
    1min fast - 7:32
    2min rec - 17:12 - had to walk as the outside of my right calf was giving a bit of bother.
    6min cool down - 10:44

Was an enjoyable run and made the run more interesting for me, kept my mind active thinking about the intervals.

I'm a bit worried by my right calf giving bother again, having spent a bit of time with Dr. Google I think it could be my peroneal muscles. I tried doing a few stretches on those and it did feel tight.
    I think on pay day I might go and get my gait anaylsis done and get a new pair of trainers in case it is those that is causing it.

Plan for the rest of the week is:
    Mon: Cycle
    Tues: Rest / Stretches
    Wed: 30minutes easy jog
    Thur: Walk / Stretches
    Fri: Walk / Stretches

I like to try and take Thursday and Friday easy so I'm well rested for the club run on Saturday.

Those sessions look great (i might steal your devil's workout myself;)) but doing them on 2 consecutive days was possibly not the best idea :eek:

Hope the leg settles down again. Looks like a good plan for the week.

Quick update, I've not really stuck to the plan this week because of other things taking priority. Managed to get out for a run last night though:

Thursday 18/05/2017
    Miles: 4.2
    Time: 46:17
    Avg Pace: 10:48
    Splits: 10:52, 10:47, 10:48, 10:47

I had planned on going out for a 45 minute steady run. I had no idea what pace that was going to be but just headed off at a pace I thought I would be able to keep up for the 45 minutes. After the first mile i settled on aiming for around 10:50. I didn't push myself too hard but I was glad to finish.
    Looking back this is the same run that I wasn't able to finish back in March and had to walk lots of it, and it looks like my running stopped completely after this for about a month. So it was important for me to complete this and not let it beat me again. It's still not as fast as my quickest around it it which was in 10:11 pace in February but I wasn't going for speed this time, I was just tying to enjoy the run and take in the different sights (Like the ducks swimming in the river, a band rehearsing in someones back garden and a man trying to take photos of his Alsatian jumping over a small fence).

The stretches I'm doing on my leg seem to be helping as it gave no bother on this run at all.

I will probably go out for a walk tonight with the dog just to stretch the legs a bit and hopefully I will feel fresh enough for the club run on Saturday morning.

3/06/2017
    I hadn't been out running since the last club training I went to 2 weeks ago (20/05/2017) so was a bit worried I wouldn't be fit for it. I missed a couple of weeks running with man flu and other things getting in the way. This weeks session was just 3 x 1 mile with 2 minutes recovery between each and it was all fairly flat. I managed it without too much difficulty.

There is a local 5k we are all doing on the 17th June so I'm going to try and get a couple weeks good training in until then, I'd love to complete it in under 30 minutes, but realistic goal is probably 32-33minutes depending on how hilly the course will be. It will be my first 5k run that isn't a Park run so I'll be happy just to complete it really.

05/06/2017
    Distance: 3.1m
    Time: 36:18
    Avg Pace: 11:41
    Splits: 11:41, 11:47, 11:53

After getting home from work I had a few bits of DIY to sort around the house and it was 9:30pm before I got out for a run. It started raining after about 1mile and I though I might stop when I was passing my house again at 2mile but pleased I kept going. This is a hillier route than I have been doing recently so plan was just to go slow and steady. If the 5k run on the 17th is like this I have no chance of getting under 30minutes but we'll see. 2 minutes a mile is a lot to make up, even though I was going slow and steady. I did this run an hour after stuffing my face with pizza, chips and a fizzy drink which I realise is not the wisest thing to do.

I probably won't get out again until Thursday evening when I might try and do some intervals. I might try and do 10-20minutes of some HIIT type exercises on days I can't run so I'm at least doing something. Any recommendations welcome, I will most likely pick something off the DareBee website.

Tuesday 06/06/2017
    Managed to get out for a short easy run. 1.6 miles.

Wednesday 07/06/2017
    Rest. Definitely felt like my legs needed the rest, not used to running 2 days in a row.

Thursday 08/06/2017
    Didn't get out for a run tonight.

Friday 09/06/2017
    Plan is just to go for a walk tonight so I'm fresh and ready for the club training in the morning. It is the last week of the beginners and next week is our 5k run.

I really need to start getting into a bit more of a running routine and stop finding excuses not to go out for a run.

Saturday 10/06/2017
    Last Saturday of the beginners training before the 5k next week. Done 4 short loops up over a hill. Found it tough in the heat and was hoping for some rain to cool me down but it never came. I need to buy some shorts for running in as I've just been wearing tracksuit bottoms and a tshirt so far. Going to get that sorted this week.

Sunday 11/06/2017
    Went out for a run around the route I started my C25K for the first time expecting to find it much easier but still found it a little tough, think it was a mixture of running 2 days in a row and the heat.

Plan for the rest of week
    Plan is to take it easy Monday and Tuesday ready for Club training on Wednesday night. It will be the first time out with the full club so feeling a bit nervous about that, I don't feel ready for it at all. Just wish the beginners was continuing for another while!

Will update after Wednesday night and try and make a decision about the 5K on Saturday. Might not set any goal and just try to enjoy the run and see what time I get. Then I can set a target from that to aim for.

Wednesday 14/06/2017

This was my first night out with the full club. Not sure how far we ran as I forgot my watch but the session was good. My right leg is starting to give a few niggles again, I need to keep up with the stretches and exercises as these really seemed to help before.

Next up is the 5k on Saturday, still no idea what time is realistic for me. I think I will head off at 9:40 pace to see if I can get in under 30mins and will know after the first 1/2 mile or so if its achievable. Won't be too disappointed if I'm nowhere near that target. At least after Saturday I'll have a time and can set a new target to aim for.

• Advertisement

Saturday 17/06/2017
    This was the first 5k event I've done apart from Parkrun. I was pretty nervous but kind of excited too. I had some toast for breakfast at 8:00 as the race wasn't until 11. It was a very warm morning and I knew the route was quite hilly so thought my target of 30:00 was gone before I even started.

Mile 1 (8:44)
    I started somewhere near the middle of the crowd and felt I was going very slow from the start line stuck behind people. When I got out into some free space I looked at my watch and the average pace was near around 10:40 so I decided to push on a little to try and get a little bit of time back. First mile came up and time was 8:44, I couldn't believe it I was running alot faster than usual but I felt good. I knew this was too fast and I would slow down but at least I had built up nearly a minute of a buffer for the next two miles.

Mile 2 (9:43)
    I was trying to slow myself a bit as I knew a big hill was coming up. I made it about halfway up and then had to walk. I wasn't too worried I thought I would get running again at the top. Not long after there was a water stop, it was much needed so I walked while I drank that. Ran for another abit but then had to walk again, the heat was just too much and my legs were tired after that hill and runnig oo fast at the start. Somehow the pace for this mile was still 9:43, my target of under 30:00 was still on.

Mile 3 (9.50)
    Finally we were running downhill again, I managed to keep running for another half mile before having to take another walking break. Then came another hill as we came near the finish. Again I made it halfway up and had to walk. I kept an eye on my watch and average pace was now around 9:10. I was running on empty now, I kept walking and keeping an eye one the watch and told myself once the average pace was up to 9:30 I had to make a run for the finish. I started running and was just behind another man going at same pace, I was tempted just to stay behind him and hang on to the finish. When I saw the finish line I made a final push and passsed him, I crossed the line exhausted, someone came and handed my a bottle of water and I got my finisher medal. I was walking about trying to get my breath back and the guy I passed at finish came and shook my hand and said well done. Thats one thing I like about running, most of the people are all very friendly.

Pace for final 0.1 mile was 8:32

I forgot to stop my watch at the line but it said 29:50 when I remembered so I was pretty sure I had achieved my target. Offical time was 29:17.

I didn't pace myself very well from the start, I panicked when I got held up in the crowd at the start then got carried away when I got some free space. I'm going to need a few days off running to let my legs recover, they still feel tired on Monday morning!

I gave it my all and I'm delighted with my time and got 3 new estimated PBs in Strava:
    1mile 8:16
    2mile 18:06
    5k 29:03

Advertisement