Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade PC for Video Editing

Options
  • 13-02-2017 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade the PC from a gaming machine to a video editing machine!

Currently have:

AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
    AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (7870 to be exact)
    16 GB RAM
    Microsoft Windows 10 (build 14393), 64-bit

I know I'm lookling at a new card, but what else should I need? More RAM?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

What kind of footage are you looking to edit and what kind of storage do you have? If you're having problems with that setup it could just be slow storage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

I've got 2 HD's. One SSD for the OS (250GB) and a WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb for storage.

It'll be wedding video footage and similar with Adobe Premiere

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Premiere-Benchmark.htm

Bottleneck is probably the CPU, which is understandable since it's over 4yrs old.

So new CPU + motherboard + RAM (unless you upgrade to an Intel platform with DDR3).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I mean what kind of footage as in what camera :P

Does premiere show a yellow line above all your footage to show it can playback in realtime or is it a red line?

You should be able to get away with what you have now, keep your current project on the SSD and move it to the WD blue after

What does your cpu + gpu usage look like while you're struggling at the moment? GPU won't be used for a whole lot, mercury effects and scale on output are the only times I'd see any usage on my GPU in Premiere.

Open the resource monitor while messing around in Premiere and see what is being stuck at 100% usage and you'll be able to figure out what your bottle neck is, my guess would be your hard drive if you're trying to edit from the WD blue.

I haven't actually done any editing on it yet. I'm using the Mac at the moment in the office.

I'm buying a new camera too so not sure which one I'll be using yet. That's the other fun/ expensive spend on the cards! :-/

• Advertisement

Bumping this as I hadn't a breeze what I needed really earlier this year, with Black Friday around the corner, I think it's time.

I've since changed my GPU as the last one died a death mid render!

Specs are:

AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
    GTX 1060 6gb DDr5 Palit
    16 GB RAM
    Microsoft Windows 10 (build 14393), 64-bit

I'm editing in Premiere and will be doing more and more 4k work in the next 5-6 months! Most of my footage is 1080p but I also have a Drone and a 4k steadicam, so need to future proof for the camera upgrade!

I saw this AMD RYZEN 7 1800X 8-Core 3.6 GHz and think it might be a good deal, but will need a new MoBo and maybe RAM too!

Budget is probably in and around €600 as I'll have to buy a MacBook for my corporate work in March so I don't want to spend an absolute fortune on my PC.

Any help, greatly appreciated!

DO NOT BUY FROM NEWEGG
    They ship from USA and you WILL be hit by import taxes.

Buy from UK instead:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor (£239.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D9L 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler (£44.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (£79.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: G.Skill - Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£130.74 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Palit - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB JetStream Video Card (Purchased For £0.00)
    Total: £495.70
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-22 11:03 GMT+0000

You might make enough from selling the current parts to afford 32Gb RAM; just make sure it's CAS 15 or 16 (lower = better).
    The Noctua NH-D9L might require a free upgrade bracket: http://noctua.at/en/nm-am4-mounting-kit
    If you don't have an ATX case, get MSI B350M-Bazooka motherboard.

I've got a cooler in there already so hopefully that will still do! Cheers for the build though! Off to the budgeting wall I go!

brianblaze wrote: »
    I've got a cooler in there already so hopefully that will still do! Cheers for the build though! Off to the budgeting wall I go!

Check with the manufacturer's website if your cooler is AM4 compatible.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Check with the manufacturer's website if your cooler is AM4 compatible.

It is indeed!

• Advertisement

So haven't done the upgrade yet and the MoBo (fairly certain it's the MoBo) died today. Where in dublin sells decently priced Pc Parts. I'll pick up the processor then too but can't imagine anyone has parts as cheap as online!

Where's the best bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

https://www.eurieka.ie/asus-prime-x370-a-amd-x370-socket-am4-atx-motherboard.html

I have no idea if they actually have stock or if they sell on order. i.e you order online and they order, receive it and then ship it to you.

I also did not look at the price but as you said you will not find a price any where that is as cheap as online in UK or Germany etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

So haven't done the upgrade yet and the MoBo (fairly certain it's the MoBo) died today. Where in dublin sells decently priced Pc Parts. I'll pick up the processor then too but can't imagine anyone has parts as cheap as online!

Where's the best bet?

Scan.co.uk deliver in 2-3 days max if you can wait that long. DPD courier, found it very efficient, and exchange rate in your favour.

Unfortunately I need to get it to finish a few projects over the week but I reckon I'll sort the processor online as that's certainly bit more of a difference price wise. I'll just pick up a new MoBo in town maybe. Or see if I can get one from Elara for collection

Plot Twist, I bought an iMac

Plot Twist, I bought an iMac

Enjoy not being able to upgrade :rolleyes::pac:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Enjoy not being able to upgrade :rolleyes::pac:

Threadripper ordered...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Too late here but Wendell from L1 Techs (a man who is right far more than he is wrong) was predicting a lot of the enterprise ops will dump older chips in the coming weeks/months to avoid some of the performance hits coming with new microcode.

An older Xeon acting as a VPS host will hurt a lot from Melt/Spec but running Premiere will barely notice it.

Throwing 32 threads at an export in Premiere is Glorious! Laughing at the Cupertino Cult that were praising their low clock 14 core machines for €6000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What sort of Xeon do you mean.

I can never work out the Xeon Numbering

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »

Any high core count Xeon. I have a Xeon myself that bclk overclocks. You can also get some with unlocked multipliers but they are expensive even second hand.

How old though is worth it...

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-X5690-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100/m16752vs3511

I use dual Xeons at work, and I love the way I can even run video processing in the background and have almost no effect on other work I'm doing. The machine is still responsive. Something like an i3 might be faster but it will not handle multiple tasks as well.

And the naming scheme just changed....... :pac:

E7 you'll never touch. E5 are the "sweet spot".

So E5 1XXX is a single processor chip, E5 2XXX is one that can be used 2P. Then you have the sub numbers indicating version so 2600 is middle of the road, 2680W is high core clock (premium) if memory serves etc etc.

A 6950X gets 1700 CB points, my pair of 2667v3s get 2200CB, and they're nerfed ES versions, real ones would be more like 2500CB.

With that above Xeon you are better off with the X5675 which will clock 4.4GHz very easy and even 4.6GHz with a bit more volts.

They run on the X58 platform. Regarding how old you should go those on the X58 are as old you should go next up is the X79 platform them Xeons would have better single core capabilities but saying that those on x58 are very good as well but the x79 are better. The xeons on x79 can have higher core counts and the ones on x79 that are multiplier unlocked are very expensive though. Well I just double checked but they have come down in price since the last time I checked like this Xeon 1680 v2 which is multiplier unlocked. https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Intel-Xeon-E5-1680-v2-3-0-GHz-8-Core-SR1MJ-OEM-Garantie-MwSt-19/122663127966?hash=item1c8f4acb9e:g:uq4AAOSwi4laX3pN

I just wondering if its worth grabbing an old machine from work, if they decide to write them off. Usually they have no overclocking options. So its a case getting the fastest one the bios supports. Last time they did they were too slow too be worth while.

With that above Xeon you are better off with the X5675 which will clock 4.4GHz very easy and even 4.6GHz with a bit more volts.

Maybe for a minecraft server, not for a workstation. Chipset is far too old for fun stuff - M.2, DDR4, Nice IPMIs etc etc.

Low SCP is a concern, but its really not that bad. I do more video work than gaming so optimized for that. Can render out a two pass 1080p clip while killing n00bs in CSS, what more could ya want?

So the rear plate from my hyper 212 cooler doesn't fit the motherboard....

Apparently the manufacturer will send one but I'm pressed for time and need to get some editing done ASAP.

Options? Do I need to buy a new cooler if I want this up and running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I just wondering if its worth grabbing an old machine from work, if they decide to write them off. Usually they have no overclocking options. So its a case getting the fastest one the bios supports. Last time they did they were too slow too be worth while.

Depends how old. As someone said above the X58 platform is still pretty good. I actually recently got a socket 2011 hex-core Xeon machine (E5-1650) on Ebay for about €250.

ECC ram is also dirt cheap compared to normal ram, I got something like 15 sticks of 4GB for €110 recently.

Overall it really depends what you're doing/looking to do. Obviously if you're a heavy user/professional it's probably worth investing in a newer setup.

But if it's more casual/all-round user, with the odd/regular bit of editing, some games, the older Xeons from X58 onwards are still pretty excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

So the rear plate from my hyper 212 cooler doesn't fit the motherboard....

Apparently the manufacturer will send one but I'm pressed for time and need to get some editing done ASAP.

Options? Do I need to buy a new cooler if I want this up and running?

I think the problem is here, not sure if you'll get an AM4 compatible cooler in-store. Maplins I would say are the best bet.

Just read that you got a threadripper setup - I'd say there's zero chance of finding a cooler for that socket in store.

Did the new CPU not come with a cooler?

• Advertisement

I think the problem is here, not sure if you'll get an AM4 compatible cooler in-store. Maplins I would say are the best bet.

Just read that you got a threadripper setup - I'd say there's zero chance of finding a cooler for that socket in store.

Did the new CPU not come with a cooler?

Threadripper was a joke. Got a ryzen 7 3.6ghx. No cooler in the box. I have the old stock cooler from my Intel a6300.... would that do okay as a temporary fix?

Advertisement