Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade PC for Video Editing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

brianblaze wrote: »
    Threadripper was a joke. Got a ryzen 7 3.6ghx. No cooler in the box. I have the old stock cooler from my Intel a6300.... would that do okay as a temporary fix?

No, the Intel cooler has different mounting points.

You'd best bite the bullet and get something cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Threadripper was a joke. Got a ryzen 7 3.6ghx. No cooler in the box. I have the old stock cooler from my Intel a6300.... would that do okay as a temporary fix?

Nope, totally different type of cooler (unless you got really inventive with cable ties but realistically....no). Just call into Maplin and they'd have a suitable AM4 compatiable cooler most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Nope, totally different type of cooler (unless you got really inventive with cable ties but realistically....no). Just call into Maplin and they'd have a suitable AM4 compatiable cooler most likely.

Yeah ended up going for a new one. Probably for the best anyway! Keep me from melting my house. Ha

Disaster. Forgot I had ddr3 RAM. so went to CEX to get DDR4, so built it up and....nothing.

Won't boot into bios or any display at all really. I assume it's the RAM? Everything powers up and a few whirrs but no beep.

DDR4 PC19200 2400MHZ 288Pin RAM is what I have... is that the culprit?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Disaster. Forgot I had ddr3 RAM. so went to CEX to get DDR4, so built it up and....nothing.

Won't boot into bios or any display at all really. I assume it's the RAM? Everything powers up and a few whirrs but no beep.

I'm confused have you got a Threadripper CPU or a Ryzen 7?

• Advertisement

I'm confused have you got a Threadripper CPU or a Ryzen 7?

Ryzen 7.... the threaripper was supposed to be a joke

CEX don't test ram, they just take it in. It's a lucky dip. So it's pretty likely the ram just plain doesn't work.

Can't believe that's a business model in an international company. They don't test CPU's or hard drives either, just take in and re-sell.

The only component they test is GPUs....but even then they're a joke. I had a guy tell me one day they couldn't accept my trade it as it over heated.

That's strange I said, I've had it two years and until I brought it in today it was fine...did it actually turn off?

No, the guy explained, but it went over 70c which is overheating. I tried to explain to him that most cards go up to 100c safely and 70c is a totally normal temperature for about 70% of cards - I even pointed out they had a reference R9 290 in the store, which reaches 95c by default.

Got nowhere, he was adamant that 70c was overheating and handed me back the card with a receipt with a huge "FAIL" written across it.

So, no Boot, no Bios, No beeps....

Pulled GPU and RAM, no Boot, no bios, no beeps...

Am I cursed, and it's the new Mobo? ( Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard) Any way to test?

The best thing to do is assemble it outside the case on a cardboard box - just board, cpu, power supply, ram. See what happens.

Do you've a speaker attached to it to hear beeps? Without ram/ram error it should still beep...or does the board have LED codes?

MoBo lights up (which I didn't know it did, so that was interesting!) and I installed the speaker but no Beep at all an any start up, which is why I'm starting to suspect the new MoBo is the problem. Might need to go to a technician as I need this sorted ASAP and I will end up throwing it off a roof if I don't get it sorted soon!

• Advertisement

The other thing is to make sure the CPU is 100% installed correctly/not damaged - AM4 CPU's are easy to damage compared to Intel CPUs as they have a pin design.

Also ensure all power cables are connected correctly, also even as simple as your power button being wired correctly from the case (you can just use a screwdriver to connect the pins and start the PC up either without button)

It all powers etc, just no end result. Checked the cpu there and it looks fine. I think I got a faulty mobo maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Did you remember to plug the monitor into the GPU instead of the mobo?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Did you remember to plug the monitor into the GPU instead of the mobo?

Tried both. Left it in to right click for a checkup

Advertisement