Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bridges and Hubs

• 13-02-2017 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

As I'm sure you all aware of the scourge of the build up of bridges and hubs in your smarter home but has anyone found a solution as to how to store these boxes of various shapes and sizes including switches etc.

I was thinking MDF panel with a velcro layer bonded to it so that I can stick the hubs in various positions.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Nice idea, though you would want to be careful about cooling. Though I suspect most of these bridges run pretty cool. Be careful with your router and/or modem, they can run quiet hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I use a system the uses screw eyes and cable ties.

Put two screw eyes in where you want the bottom of the device and then measure where the top is and put in another one or two screw eyes just above that then hold the device flat against the wall with cable ties between the top and bottom screw eyes.

Obviously only any good in out of the way places like cupboards.

Use different size screw eyes for different sizes of device. Two large screw eyes with a long shank on them almost form a small shelf. If you don't tighten down the cable ties too much you can take the device out again with out cutting them.

I find that velcro comes unstuck after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have a TV unit with closed front cabinets... all of the hubs, routers & TV boxes go in there.... Because of the Harmony Hub there is no need to have access to the IR receivers.

409163.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Id be worried about the heat building up in such a cabinet as I have PS4 et al under my telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Don't put your wireless router in a cabinet, it needs to be exposed so the wireless antenna can give the best penetration

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Don't put your wireless router in a cabinet, it needs to be exposed so the wireless antenna can give the best penetration

Yes, best place for it is high up on top of a cupboard or on the ceiling if you can.

I got an 80Mb/s increase in speed by simply moving my wireless router from the bottom of a bookshelf to the top of it!

Advertisement