Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you queue to get a new build house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

lol
    You reckon there is a need to falsely inflate demand for housing in Dublin in 2017 , have you been living under a rock or something for the last 3 years !!

Ha! I'll give you that one, but if there's a way a developer can keep justifying higher prices for further phases then I'm sure they'd consider it.

Do you think anybody buying a house ever is madness ?

Assuming No for a moment Surely then buying a house with no queue would suggest you are paying over the market rate and "madness" is buying a house nobody else wants at that price...................

A very simplistic view.

From 2008 to 2015 there was no queue for houses.......... are you suggesting any house sold in that period was sold for in excess of the market rate?

Perhaps they were.

But within a few years (+) anything bought in the period I mention is now worth much more in today's market.

I'd sooner buy when the herd isn't doing similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Augeo wrote: »
    From 2008 to 2015 there was no queue for houses.......... are you suggesting any house sold in that period was sold for in excess of the market rate?

Banks weren't lending money in that period, they didn't even have it to keep their own heads above water.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Banks weren't lending money in that period, they didn't even have it to keep their own heads above water.

That's a factor but to argue that now is a better time to buy than in 2008 to 2013 makes little sense.

It's herd mentality, driven by contribution factors.

Few folk in a herd ever realise they are, even fewer will admit it.

I don't recall seeing people saying that now is a better time to buy than that period, but it's a simple fact that there was no demand back then because people weren't able to get mortgages too easily, either as a FTB, or to trade up. Everything was frozen due to lack of funding and a stagnant economy.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I don't recall seeing people saying that now is a better time to buy than that period, but it's a simple fact that there was no demand back then because people weren't able to get mortgages too easily, either as a FTB, or to trade up. Everything was frozen due to lack of funding and a stagnant economy.

"Assuming No for a moment Surely then buying a house with no queue would suggest you are paying over the market rate and "madness" is buying a house nobody else wants at that price..................."

- No queue is madness
    Queue means you are getting value - is the point my response was to :)

I don't think it's that though.

Finance is easier to come by and people's savings are starting to hit the point which they're required to have based on the Central Bank rules so everyone is coming into the market around the same time, hence the increase in demand for new builds to get the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

"Assuming No for a moment Surely then buying a house with no queue would suggest you are paying over the market rate and "madness" is buying a house nobody else wants at that price..................."

- No queue is madness
    Queue means you are getting value - is the point my response was to :)
    Do you think anybody buying a house ever is madness ?

Assuming No for a moment Surely then buying a house with no queue would suggest you are paying over the market rate and "madness" is buying a house nobody else wants at that price.

The queue is just a method of managing order of purchase it has no intrinsic affect on anything other than that .The fact there is a queue suggests that the price point is below market rates.

I gave an equally preposterous assessment as you on what a queue means before giving you the actual sane reason for a queue , try to keep up .

I gave an equally preposterous assessment as you on what a queue means before giving you the actual sane reason for a queue , try to keep up .

lol, herd mentality old boy, that's not sanity.
    You view markets at a specific point when deciding is the price point sane, lunacy when considering the purchase will be paid for over decades.

Keeping up with you isn't on my to do list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Our story from September 2016:

Saw house we fell in love with at second day of launch in March 2016, all sold in the first day

Come September Houses were due to be released Saturday, got an email on Tuesday at 15:30 that houses were being prelaunched to interested parties on Wednesday at 7am. OH went straight to he site and started to q by 15:45. First in line.

The foreman came down and handed us a ticket and put our name on the list. Then to make sure we would be 100% guarnteed first in line we rang the estate agent who said "well you have a ticket but if you leave and other people are in line I cant exactly give you priority if they stayed out" So because of that we decided we had better stay over night.

Worked in shifts, I took over at 7PM and let her go eat and have a break. She came back up at 8PM and I went back up at midnight and relieved her for the night. A few other people joined us and added their names to the list.

We had deck chairs, blankets and sleeping bags as well as jackets. Trips were made for tea and we had food and snacks with us.

6:30 the estate agent arrives and lets us get it over and done with straight away but some how 2 of the houses were already sold??? The two we wanted. Third choice was not now being launched in this phase, 4th choice they decided to extent and up the price by 20k meaning we couldn't afford and so went with 5th choice.

None of the houses in this phase had south facing gardens and were all more about €25-30,000 more than the first phase where you could have gotten a South facing garden.

Went back to bed for a couple of hours before heading into work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That's a factor but to argue that now is a better time to buy than in 2008 to 2013 makes little sense.

It's herd mentality, driven by contribution factors.

Few folk in a herd ever realise they are, even fewer will admit it.

Specification wise, a new house bought now is 10 times the house from 2008.
    With our new building regs, renewables, increased insulation added together with better air tightness requirements and controlled ventilation, houses are far superior.

And again, from March 2014 the new BCAR regulations, mean the standard of construction is way ahead of boom time constructions and I've seen that on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

6:30 the estate agent arrives and lets us get it over and done with straight away but some how 2 of the houses were already sold??? The two we wanted. Third choice was not now being launched in this phase, 4th choice they decided to extent and up the price by 20k meaning we couldn't afford and so went with 5th choice.

None of the houses in this phase had south facing gardens and were all more about €25-30,000 more than the first phase where you could have gotten a South facing garden.

Went back to bed for a couple of hours before heading into work.

That is not a 100% happy ending! Are you in the house yet and are you happy you bought or should you have walked away?

Grawns wrote: »
    That is not a 100% happy ending! Are you in the house yet and are you happy you bought or should you have walked away?

Delighted I bought still, but a few months off moving in yet. Hoping to be in within the next 3 months but could be later.

No regrets though as we had anticipated not getting our first choice and had prioritized 1-10, all the same style but different units.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

A few months ago I had almost considered going down the route of buying a new build because I was finding bidding wars to be stressful and time consuming. I just assumed you'd pay the asking price and have your new house a few months down the line, no hassle.

After reading this thread I realise I was a million times better off buying my second hand house. No way in hell I'd spend my free-time camping outside a building site in a duffel coat, trying to fall asleep on a deck-chair.

I can't believe the estate agents haven't come up with a more civilized way of conducting things.
    It does not seem right to me that any person should be treated in this way when they're on the verge of handing over hundreds of thousands of euro. No disrespect to those of you who did it. It just makes me dislike estate agents even more.
    No doubt they reserve a few of the units for their own family/friends first. That would explain the above poster who was top of the queue but got their 5th choice or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

These stories make me think my earlier quote about the developer I dealt with is even more true.

For us he launched 57 houses in phase. All with a price. 57 sold with no variance on price and people picked all 57 depending on what was left at their turn.

It really can go the way it was in the past judging by stories here but I am glad i got so lucky in where I choose.

Ps in phase 3 it was same story with price wise and no selling before launch.

Delighted I bought still, but a few months off moving in yet. Hoping to be in within the next 3 months but could be later.

No regrets though as we had anticipated not getting our first choice and had prioritized 1-10, all the same style but different units.

Good😀. I was worried about buyers remorse. The process does seem to move very swiftly. You queue, you don't maybe know the final prices and next thing you're having to decide whether to buy your 5th choice for perhaps more than you expected to pay. And all in a matter of days. There is an element that because other people want it and I got there first it must be worth the price.

Good😀. I was worried about buyers remorse. The process does seem to move very swiftly. You queue, you don't maybe know the final prices and next thing you're having to decide whether to buy your 5th choice for perhaps more than you expected to pay. And all in a matter of days. There is an element that because other people want it and I got there first it must be worth the price.

Just remember you are also only paying a booking deposit and not signing the contracts there and then so you technically are not committed so if you feel rushed you still have time to change your mind on reflection

Just remember you are also only paying a booking deposit and not signing the contracts there and then so you technically are not committed so if you feel rushed you still have time to change your mind on reflection

True, I do feel rushed and I don't know yet if I will even get an option to purchase one of my options ( 8 houses I'm interested in) . I'm buying a forever home I hope! But you can't even surreptiously vet the immediate neighbours if you're buying off plans. :eek:

True, I do feel rushed and I don't know yet if I will even get an option to purchase one of my options ( 8 houses I'm interested in) . I'm buying a forever home I hope! But you can't even surreptiously vet the immediate neighbours if you're buying off plans. :eek:

That's the other benefit of the q :p we met our neighbours already

Got my booking deposit down today. We were called in order of the numbers given out and luckily one of my preferred houses was still available ( the last one) so there you go. I guess I just kind of bought a house :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Congratulations

I like boats too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Ginger83

What a clueless statement.

Eh no...People need their heads tested to queue for houses.

Ginger83 wrote: »

After watching people go through the bidding process, sales falling through etc. this was a lot less stressful. That being said I didn't have to spend several nights outside and not get what I wanted.

Meath wouldn't be a prime location, but in Dublin, where people want to live, queuing is part of the process.

I assume you que in dunnes/Aldi/Tesco etc to buy your food?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Ginger83

kceire wrote: »
    Meath wouldn't be a prime location, but in Dublin, where people want to live, queuing is part of the process.

I assume you que in dunnes/Aldi/Tesco etc to buy your food?

I don't live in Meath but i wouldn't queue for a house regardless of location and as for prime location its the biggest commuter county to Dublin.

Yes some people do want to live in Dublin, some also have to. Personally it wouldn't interest me.

I do queue in Aldi/Dunnes, however i don't camp in my car waiting for it to open!

I don't live in Meath but i wouldn't queue for a house regardless of location and as for prime location its the biggest commuter county to Dublin.

Yes some people do want to live in Dublin, some also have to. Personally it wouldn't interest me.

I do queue in Aldi/Dunnes, however i don't camp in my car waiting for it to open!

So you admit it's a personal opinion. That's fine, if these people want to que for a house to guarantee that they get what they where they wants, then that's their choice and it doesn't effect the rest of us. I don't think they need their head examined though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Congrats!

Just out of interest, did anyone actually physically queue?

As I read it you turned up the day before and were given a ticket and were told that others had turned up the day before that and also been given tickets.

So the only person waiting was the agent :pac:

Lumen wrote: »
    Congrats!

Just out of interest, did anyone actually physically queue?

As I read it you turned up the day before and were given a ticket and were told that others had turned up the day before that and also been given tickets.

So the only person waiting was the agent :pac:

I turned up two days before ( with chair and extra socks etc.) and spoke to the builder who gave me a ticket. If he hadn't been there then I was going to talk to the site foreman. Never did queue and I was the only person there at that time. Don't know about anyone else.

• Advertisement

People Q overnight for tickets to concerts, for U2 people were in line 4 days in advance, thats madness, a house you will live in for the rest of your life I think is far more worthwhile than waiting in line to see a 2 hour concert

Advertisement