Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you queue to get a new build house

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Ginger83

People Q overnight for tickets to concerts, for U2 people were in line 4 days in advance, thats madness, a house you will live in for the rest of your life I think is far more worthwhile than waiting in line to see a 2 hour concert

Thats quite true. Turning up to collect a ticket for a house viewing is 1 thing but days camping in a car and outside is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

People Q overnight for tickets to concerts, for U2 people were in line 4 days in advance, thats madness, a house you will live in for the rest of your life I think is far more worthwhile than waiting in line to see a 2 hour concert
    OK but for the sake of clarity, there was no queueing in this story. What happened was effectively that the OP got their name on a list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Lumen wrote: »
    OK but for the sake of clarity, there was no queueing in this story. What happened was effectively that the OP got their name on a list.

In this instance, but as I gave my story I slept in the doorway of the show house while waiting for mine while we were given a ticket the agent said they would not stand over the tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

In this instance, but as I gave my story I slept in the doorway of the show house while waiting for mine while we were given a ticket the agent said they would not stand over the tickets
    I re-read your story and it just seems totally wrong to treat people this way. It's similar to the non-binding auctions that are sealed bids, they're just designed to get the buyers psychologically committed but are non-binding on the vendors.

I understand that this mess has some happy outcomes, but it feels like a total disaster in the making. People don't make good decisions when they're put under this sort of pressure.

Seems like if we re-ran 2000-2007 with the same population we'd end up with the same outcome again. The only thing stopping it is a thin firewall of central bank regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Lumen wrote: »

Seems like if we re-ran 2000-2007 with the same population we'd end up with the same outcome again.

There is absolutely no doubt about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Ginger83

You slept in a doorway :eek: jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sphinx's

These queueing for a house story is scaring me! From these stories; how many were recent? Anyone queue in Dublin? Do queue's even happen outside of Dublin? :pac:

i.e. anyone queue for recent releases in Millers Glen, Barnageeragh, Parkside?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

We queued for our house in Royal Canal Park. We waited nearly six months for them just to come on the market. We started queuing on the morning of the sale and in were very very lucky that we got a house we where happy with.

The reality is that housing stock in Ireland is shockingly poor. We got into the advance bidding stage for multiple second hand houses over the course of about 3 years. Each one we had to drop out of because after a certain price point we could not afford the renovation costs on top of the mortgage deposit. The variables and the equation is very different for buying a new build A1/A2 houses versus buying a second hand house and trying to get it up to that standard. I wonder at some of the folks on this thread ever actually seriously attempted to buy property in this country, it's no joke.

My house was approximately 80,000 Euro cheaper then the equivalent second hand renovated to a similar standard. I worked it out and made the decision based on real data, not emotions. It also had the luxury of being attainable as I certainly did not have that type of money on top of a deposit. If you call it "madness" or "never learning" to queue up to save 80,000 Euro, well good luck to you in life.

Looking back to 2007 era - it was obvious house prices were overvalued. I get the same feeling nowadays.
    Stick to one of the golden rules of personal finance - never sepnd more than 25% of your disposable income on housing. Ignore what your peers are doing. i am not buying into this "cult" of home ownership at any cost.

And when you're paying more than 25% of your disposable income on rent? What then? Move further out and further out. It's easy to have these paper rules but everyone's situations is specific to them. A key thing you said they is that you will not buy into home ownership cult at any cost. That's an emotional response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Augeo wrote:
    From 2008 to 2015 there was no queue for houses.......... are you suggesting any house sold in that period was sold for in excess of the market rate?

This is not true. I bought a new build at the start of 2014 and there was a queue when I arrived to view the show houses. I arrived 20 minutes early so technically I queued too. I had already seen the house and decided I was buying it so I would argue that it would have been madness for me not to queue!

I'm not sure if everyone is aware but the initial deposit you pay when you buy off the plans is usually fully refundable so there's no risk in getting in first by queuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Percyxoxo

Hi Everyone.

I need some advice please. Hoping to buy a new house in North county Dublin but it is not advertised yet.
    I am living about 20km away at the moment so not sure what the demand will be.
    So my question is how will I know if I need to queue..or many hours in advanve.
    will the builder advise how big the demand is etc?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭dubrov

Percyxoxo wrote: »
    Hi Everyone.

I need some advice please. Hoping to buy a new house in North county Dublin but it is not advertised yet.
    I am living about 20km away at the moment so not sure what the demand will be.
    So my question is how will I know if I need to queue..or many hours in advanve.
    will the builder advise how big the demand is etc?

Thanks in advance

You'll know by the price if there will be a queue. E.g. Similar old houses are selling for the same price.

The estate agent should be able to give you an indicative sale price before they go on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SHNEY

Hi,
    In general queues have started again for New Developments. The first recent one was in Portmarnock and then the next one was in Baldoyle. They are both popular areas because they are on the coast. I would guess that you will be definitely queuing to get what you want. But your question is when, that is the decision everyone finds hard to decide and all it takes is 1 person to start a queue. As the other poster stated, you will get an idea from the estate agent what the interest is like but personally I would be very surprised if there wouldn't be high figures for any new development. The phase 1 in Baldoyle (Silverbanks) started on Tuesday for pre-launch viewing on Thursday and phase 2 started Monday for pre-launch viewing on the Thursday.
    What a lot of people do is pop to the area morning and evening the week of the launch to check if anyone has started a queue. Or alternatively, if you want first choice, start the queue yourself, it won't be long before you have company.
    Your best bet before the week of the launch is:
    Make sure you keep an eye on the development site for details
    Register your interest on the development site when it appears.
    Ring the estate agents to ensure that your name is registered.
    Add the estate agents e-mail address to your contacts so that the e-mail doesn't go into your spam.
    Contact the estate agents every couple of weeks to see if they have any new information.
    Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Percyxoxo

SHNEY wrote: »
    Hi,
    In general queues have started again for New Developments. The first recent one was in Portmarnock and then the next one was in Baldoyle. They are both popular areas because they are on the coast. I would guess that you will be definitely queuing to get what you want. But your question is when, that is the decision everyone finds hard to decide and all it takes is 1 person to start a queue. As the other poster stated, you will get an idea from the estate agent what the interest is like but personally I would be very surprised if there wouldn't be high figures for any new development. The phase 1 in Baldoyle (Silverbanks) started on Tuesday for pre-launch viewing on Thursday and phase 2 started Monday for pre-launch viewing on the Thursday.
    What a lot of people do is pop to the area morning and evening the week of the launch to check if anyone has started a queue. Or alternatively, if you want first choice, start the queue yourself, it won't be long before you have company.
    Your best bet before the week of the launch is:
    Make sure you keep an eye on the development site for details
    Register your interest on the development site when it appears.
    Ring the estate agents to ensure that your name is registered.
    Add the estate agents e-mail address to your contacts so that the e-mail doesn't go into your spam.
    Contact the estate agents every couple of weeks to see if they have any new information.
    Best of luck with it.

Thanks very much for taking the time to write out your reply it's been most helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SHNEY

Percyxoxo wrote: »
    Thanks very much for taking the time to write out your reply it's been most helpful.
    You are very welcome.

Advertisement