Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best (proper) breakfast roll in Sandyford/Stillorgan Industrial Estate?

• 13-02-2017 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

To start, what is the best semi-traditional breakfast roll for your money in the area?

Decided to take some time off the ciabattas, quail eggs and flatbreads that have permeated the industrial estate and go for a staple of Irish Cuisine today, the humble Breakfast Roll.

Tried the Londis across from the beacon and was thoroughly let down - 4 pieces in an overly chewy demi-baguette for 4 euro. Pricewise, sounds... eh.. alright.. but there were no eggs and the rashers and pudding had hardened into a sort of jerky thing. Won't ever get one there again. 1/5

And so the hunt for the best breakfast roll in the Sandyford and Stillorgan Industrial Estate begins - but where else even does them?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Your definition of proper might not match other peoples' - it doesn't match mine, for instance.

Other places in Sandyford to get them include Dunnes in the Beacon and the Londis down on Carmanhall Rd, near the old Microsoft building.

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not exactly a tonne of choice if you limit to just the industrial estate.

Another option just outside it is the Centra in central park.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

TrueDub wrote: »
    Your definition of proper might not match other peoples' - it doesn't match mine, for instance.

We're going to need to get on the same page here if we are to discover the best breakfast roll in the area my friend. You need to be able to get rashers, eggs (fried or scrambled), sausages, and pudding in the roll, which can be either a soft roll or a baguette, but must be cut in half to be considered a true breakfast roll.

Bonus points are awarded if the roll comes with a free can or coke or tiny jug of milk. Additional options such as a hash brown are welcomed but they are not actually necessary for a proper breakfast roll.

Is there a regional difference that I'm not accounting for on the Southside?

I'll try the deli in dunnes next then, I don't have high hopes for the other londis but will get around to it.

if enough interest is shown in the topic I may request a breakfast roll subforum or begin a breakfast roll club

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Breakfast rolls and queues for new houses. I'm reinstalling Windows 98 right now ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

You could try Munchies in the Beacon (if it's still there!), but I can't see it being any better than the rest of the places around there

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

BDJW wrote: »
    You could try Munchies in the Beacon (if it's still there!), but I can't see it being any better than the rest of the places around there

Munchies do a solid breakfast sambo, but it comes in a ciabatta so can be disregarded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭markpb

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    Munchies do a solid breakfast sambo, but it comes in a ciabatta so can be disregarded

You're clearly a lunatic if you're disregarding the amazing Munchie Brunchie. However, if you can't be convinced to change your mind, Maxol on the Sandyford Road (https://goo.gl/maps/rqXApKca2A92) is the best bet. It's about a 15 minute walk from the estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Fusco foods in stillorgan ind est did a decent BR don't know if it's still open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Fusco foods in stillorgan ind est did a decent BR don't know if it's still open.
    Was going to say fuscos too, many years ago it was about the only place you could go.

Pretty sure they are still going, not sure if they still do breakfast rolls though.

http://www.fuscofoods.com/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

You need to be able to get

rashers,

Yes.
    eggs (fried or scrambled),

No.
    sausages,

Yes.
    and pudding

Partly - white only.
    either a soft roll or a baguette

No, baguette only.
    must be cut in half .

Definitely not.

As I said, everyone's definition is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

shots fired, close this topic now before it gets out of hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

dolallyoh wrote: »
    Breakfast rolls and queues for new houses. I'm reinstalling Windows 98 right now ...

+1 Eddie Hobbs will be on the telly tomorrow selling apartments in the Cape Verde Islands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,379 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

TrueDub wrote: »
    Yes.

No.

Yes.

Partly - white only.

No, baguette only.

Definitely not.

As I said, everyone's definition is different.

Also needs some brown sauce (HP preferred but unlikely), no butter and the sausages must not be sliced before being stuffed in. Also, clean that mayonnaise, egg etc off the knife before you attempt to cut the baguette open!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Food Crew inside the Beacon complex do a great breakfast roll - made to order too so no dried out rashers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Fusco's as said already used to do a savage breakfast Roll, runny fried egg and all, haven't been there in a couple of years so not sure if they still do,

21/25

Advertisement