Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get from Ballinteer to National Indoor Arena in Abbotstown?

• 13-02-2017 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭

I'm faced with this horrible journey this coming weekend. The new indoor athletics arena seems to be in a public transport wasteland. How is the best way of getting from Ballinteer, Kingston to the arena? I don't have a car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭term

Take your usual bus to town, get a 39 to Blanchardstown Centre then it's either a 20 min walk or one of two local routes 220 or 238

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

term wrote: »
    Take your usual bus to town, get a 39 to Blanchardstown Centre then it's either a 20 min walk or one of two local routes 220 or 238

Sounds like utter misery. The maynooth train to Castleknock leaves me with a 3.7km walk but that seems to take a long route? Any chance there's a shortcut that will cut 1km off that walk?

Seems like 38 and 38a go nearby. How reliable are they and how long do they take off peak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

Take the 16 to Parnell square and from Parnell square take the 40D. It will leave you close to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Sounds like utter misery. The maynooth train to Castleknock leaves me with a 3.7km walk but that seems to take a long route? Any chance there's a shortcut that will cut 1km off that walk?

Seems like 38 and 38a go nearby. How reliable are they and how long do they take off peak?

I don't know what route you're talking about, but if you got off at Castleknock Station, walk down the canal leaving it at the 12th Lock, through Blanchardstown Village and the hospital and you're pretty much there but it's about 2/2.5k.

You could also get the 40D from Parnell Square which will leave you the other side of the sports campus and you have a handy walk downhill for about a k.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Blanchardstown,+Ballycoolin+Road+(Snugborough+Road),+Snugborough,+Dublin/National+Sports+Campus,+Deanestown,+Dublin/@53.4003349,-6.3689546,16z/am=t/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4867129a3758a9f5:0x5293f0aa143fdb0a!2m2!1d-6.3577641!2d53.403324!1m5!1m1!1s0x486712a1acaef7af:0xf1da262417a50bdc!2m2!1d-6.3701069!2d53.3970143!3e2

Nothing sums up how bad public transport in Dublin is than this route. Yesterday I got the 16 with just a short 4-5 minute wait then for 38 or 38a (can't remember which) and door to door it still took 96 minutes. The return journey took me pretty much 2 hours on the button.

Today my 16 arrived later than planned and I missed the connection to the 38 by 1 minute and so had to wait 25 more minutes. I'm looking at well over 2 hours door to by the time I get there.

Funny thing is that the Nationals used to be in AIT in Athlone, and by public transport it wouldn't take me a massive amount of time more. Maybe 2 and a half to 3 hours door to door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

I certainly wouldn't have gone for the 38 or 38A. They take long enough trips , can be unreliable at times and you still have a long enough walk up to the sports centre.

The 40D is a better option. It's a bit faster as it travels through finglas, and leaves you a bit nearer.

The 17A stops outside the NAC. You could get the 39A to the shopping centre and get the 17A from there. You could also continue on the 16 to the swords road and get the 17A from there.

thomasj wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't have gone for the 38 or 38A. They take long enough trips , can be unreliable at times and you still have a long enough walk up to the sports centre.

The 40D is a better option. It's a bit faster as it travels through finglas, and leaves you a bit nearer.

The 17A stops outside the NAC. You could get the 39A to the shopping centre and get the 17A from there. You could also continue on the 16 to the swords road and get the 17A from there.

That's all well and good but the frequency of the 40d is poor. It didn't work out for me at the time I was going. Regarding the other option, I think 3 buses is too much to expect of anyone using Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Public transport doesn't seem to be a consideration when building things in Ireland. Though a 20 minute drive from Leixlip that place is a nightmare to get to by PT. And so many acres of green fields still exist along the Maynooth line...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

n97 mini wrote: »
    Public transport doesn't seem to be a consideration when building things in Ireland. Though a 20 minute drive from Leixlip that place is a nightmare to get to by PT. And so many acres of green fields still exist along the Maynooth line...

I guess because of the infrequency of events it's tricky to schedule regular services.

ted1 wrote: »
    I guess because of the infrequency of events it's tricky to schedule regular services.

We were out there training a few weeks ago and I got chatting to the lad who works there and he says the athletics track can be covered and used for gigs. I'd be amazed if any half decent act would play in such an inaccessible area. People aren't going to be driving if going to a gig lets be honest.

There's also no mention of how to get to venue by public transport on the website. I asked yer man that day and his reply was simply "there's buses". He more than likely knew no more.

Pity it is not linked to good transport because it really is a facility to be proud of, something which is rare in Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement