Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closure of the road at the hatch bridge on Celbridge?

Options
  • 13-02-2017 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

I drove over the hatch bridge from Celbridge going towards Newcastle this morning and noticed a sign saying road closed from around 20 Feb until 3 Mar. Has anyone seen this and does it refer to the actual humpback bridge at the hatch pub being closed during this time? Maybe they'll finally put traffic lights on each side of it to control the flow of cars!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Saw those signs also. Of course there is nothing I can find on the Kildare County Council website...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

tallpaul wrote: »
    Saw those signs also. Of course there is nothing I can find on the Kildare County Council website...:rolleyes:

Typical!

It would be good to know if the bridge will be closed as I'll need to choose a different route and a know of lot of others will too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 The Clam

I've heard that it is going be closed from 9.30am-4.30pm each day and that it is to put lights at the hump back bridge..hopefully its true!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Would that be because it's in county Dublin ;)

Looks like traffic lights, all right
    SDCC wrote:
    To facilitate traffic signalling works, South Dublin County Council propose to temporarily close Hazelhatch Canal Bridge from Monday 20th February to Friday 3rd March 2017 (Monday to Friday from 9.30 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.)
    Local access will be maintained.
    Detour signs will be erected.
    Alternative Routes:-
    Via
    Newtown Road and Lyons Road and vice versa
    SDCC

• Registered Users Posts: 31 shanev13

The lights are likely to allow for local access along the canal, and also allow for pedestrians who wish to cross the bridge, so overall I would estimate that this change will result in delays for most drivers and especially during rush-hour, when traffic generally flows surprisingly well.

• Advertisement

Hopefully they can get the sequence right on the lights for the humpback bridge, although I wouldn't bet on it, otherwise we can expect long tailbacks in rush hour just like at Frank O'Rourke's disasterous lights on the Maynooth road:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Buffman

Hopefully they can get the sequence right on the lights for the humpback bridge, although I wouldn't bet on it, otherwise we can expect long tailbacks in rush hour just like at Frank O'Rourke's disasterous lights on the Maynooth road:eek:
    shanev13 wrote: »
    I would estimate that this change will result in delays for most drivers and especially during rush-hour, when traffic generally flows surprisingly well.

Yep, probably going to turn the current minimal delay into a long one. I commuted that way for four years and apart from ice and snow, the only traffic issues there were caused by HGVs and other large vehicles getting 'stuck'.

In the short term, while the road is closed, the residents of The Lords Road, Ardclough/Newtown Road and Lyons Road are probably going to get inundated with diverted traffic.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Buffman wrote: »
    In the short term, while the road is closed, the residents of The Lords Road, Ardclough/Newtown Road and Lyons Road are probably going to get inundated with diverted traffic.
    If the lights turn out to be really bad, it may not just be in the short term....

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Have they been turned on ? Large queue outbound on the hazelhatch road this morning. Back to the tennis club.

Made catching the train a bit of a rush. Saw a few people at station that missed it .

No but I think there may have been a bit of a Mexican stand-off on the bridge that led to long delays both sides. I came up on the end of it heading towards Celbridge and my side was moving so it didn't affect me. But there were a LOT of cars ahead of me going in my direction which is unusual - as in a line snaking over the railway bridge which I've never ever seen before.

Interestingly as part of the works, the Council put in a traffic camera so the bods in SDCC probably had a great view of it. Almost certain to hasten the turning on of the lights with this sort of carry on.

• Advertisement

thanks tallpaul, I won't change my morning schedule just yet so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No but I think there may have been a bit of a Mexican stand-off on the bridge that led to long delays both sides. I came up on the end of it heading towards Celbridge and my side was moving so it didn't affect me. But there were a LOT of cars ahead of me going in my direction which is unusual - as in a line snaking over the railway bridge which I've never ever seen before.

Interestingly as part of the works, the Council put in a traffic camera so the bods in SDCC probably had a great view of it. Almost certain to hasten the turning on of the lights with this sort of carry on.

Where is the camera? I've crossed a few times and can't see it.

What was the point of doing 2 weeks of work to not turn on the lights. I'd assumed that they would of been turned on once installed.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Where is the camera? I've crossed a few times and can't see it.

What was the point of doing 2 weeks of work to not turn on the lights. I'd assumed that they would of been turned on once installed.

It is on a pole near the gate into the pub.

I think lights are generally turned on a period of time after completion of works to get motorists to notice that lights have been installed and used to the idea.

OP here, was just wondering how this has panned out? Has traffic flow improved at all? Have the lights been turned on yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

No, lights are still not turned on

squrm wrote: »
    No, lights are still not turned on
    Cheers for the update, I won't hold my breath ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Cheers for the update, I won't hold my breath ;)

If you've no electricity supply to the new signals then they can't be switched on!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

HonalD wrote: »
    If you've no electricity supply to the new signals then they can't be switched on!

They were digging for 2 weeks and it's hardly as if it's miles from a power line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Del2005 wrote: »
    They were digging for 2 weeks and it's hardly as if it's miles from a power line.

True but ESBN need to connect supply I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

The pedestrian crossing on the Dublin Road before the Orchard didn't have its lights turned on for a good while. Seems to be what they do.

The surface of the bridge is quite rough in places. Surely while it was closed for two weeks it would have made sense to resurface it as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

Lights are now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Has the mayhem started ? Anything but the briefest of sequences will make these very car unfriendly even at off peak times .Ripe for being broken by impatient motorists in either sense I reckon .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

squrm wrote: »
    Lights are now on!

It will be interesting to see how this pans out once traffic volumes return to normal.

My mother recalls an attempt at putting lights on in the late 70s/early 80s that only lasted a few weeks.
    Traffic in the evenings heading towards Celbridge backed up past Concast, nearly as far as Brunkard's (the green building).

She has insisted the lights were a trial for permanent lights, not just temporary lights for roadworks which also cause issues.

Traffic volumes have increased substantially in the intervening years, but so too has light control technology.

I forsee mayhem.

Speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Foresee? More like guarantee !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I got stuck at these the other day at 7pm. The lights are very quick and I was in a row of 10 cars so had to sit for ages

Traffic back to the tennis club outbound at 8:15 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

Traffic back to the tennis club outbound at 8:15 this morning.
    Wow.....bet no one foresaw that happening :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭2011abc

Approached these from Newcastle direction around 445pm.The traffic ahead seemed to get a good long run but I didn't make it and was stopped admittedly not for too long .Then three cars ahead got through but the lights changed almost immediately and I was left to scramble through on orange .Theres something funny going on with the sequencing .Would a car coming from canal have caused this ?Anyway report of mayhem at rush hour will keep me well away in morning .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Has anyone sent in their complaint to SDCC? I have

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=1279&proceed=true&lng=english

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭2011abc

Posted one or two replies since but kept getting deleted with log in crash etc .

I did send in a complaint to SDCC about these on previously linked form .

They cause very little or no delay at off peak .

They seem to have very 'smart' sensors .

Motorists now naturally drive FAR faster over the narrow blind humpbacked bridge than before ( trying to catch the green light and sure don't they have right of way anyway !) when they tended to gingerly nose over while watching carefully .

If the point of this change was to make pedestrians safer it's clearly a monster fail .

Were they partially to allow canal barge owners cars out ? I would have guessed with a bit of cooperation this wouldn't have been a big deal previously .

I feel sorry for those tackling them at rush hour .Must be hell .Lights on these kinds of bridges are ridiculous ...Monasterevin must be the worst ....idiotic !

Advertisement