Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closure of the road at the hatch bridge on Celbridge?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

A lot of noise complaints have been made by locals, I'd say it's to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I got a reply to say they were working on the busy period timings and that the lights were installed for Health & Safety reasons. I know the bridge is scary but never heard of any serious accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A lot of noise complaints have been made by locals, I'd say it's to do with that.

I used to blow my horn if going over during the day or early evening, at night I used to flash my headlights a few times. When it was early or late and bright I used to have to slowly try and peak over.

I never use it at peak so don't know how much different it is having more vehicles queuing, especially diesels with their noise and fumes, to before. But if the queues are going much future back then the noise has to be increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

The most frustrating part of the bridge was when two trucks would meet, one either side and they would have a mexican stand off. That situation doesnt happen anymore.

I think the biggest issue though is the location of the lights so close to the bridge. They should have been half way down the bridge on the newcastle side

• Registered Users Posts: 31 shanev13

Overall, the lights are not helping the situation.
    As previously stated, people now speed over the bridge and often on a "dark-orange" light.

Two solutions:

1. Build a proper bridge with space for two-way traffic.
    2. Ban SUV traffic from this route, and from Celbridge bridge.

• Advertisement

shanev13 wrote: »
    Overall, the lights are not helping the situation.
    As previously stated, people now speed over the bridge and often on a "dark-orange" light.

Two solutions:

1. Build a proper bridge with space for two-way traffic.

2 chances

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

presume you mean HGV ?

Even at that it's not practical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭2011abc

Hard to believe a safety initiative would result in the near doubling of speeds ! Green light chasing comingfrom Newcastle direction is seeing near motorway speeds approaching this narrow bridge .Unreal the capacity of 'authority' to wreck havoc while fixing something that wasn't broken .What was once a highly dangerous road for pedestrians must now be lethal .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

2011abc wrote: »
    Hard to believe a safety initiative would result in the near doubling of speeds ! Green light chasing comingfrom Newcastle direction is seeing near motorway speeds approaching this narrow bridge .Unreal the capacity of 'authority' to wreck havoc while fixing something that wasn't broken .What was once a highly dangerous road for pedestrians must now be lethal .

Are there not pedestrian lights on it as well though if crossing across the road on either side of the bridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Traffic back to Celbridge GAA today.....crazy.....what a fail again by Councils

It's very frustrating in the mornings when you have a handful of cars coming against you and at the same time sitting in a queue back to the tennis courts.

I sent in a complaint.

they have responded to say that there was an issue with the sensors!

These have been replaced and traffic has improved. I had noticed this morning that there was no backlog of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Riskymove wrote: »
    I sent in a complaint.

they have responded to say that there was an issue with the sensors!

These have been replaced and traffic has improved. I had noticed this morning that there was no backlog of traffic

Cheers for the feedback but I will wait a few days to be sure. Monday is a fair bit quieter on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 shanev13

Yes, I was referring to HGV traffic (apologies for the mistake).

Both this bridge, and the bridge in Celbridge are not suited to, nor capable of handling large trucks, etc.
    They often cause a backlog or delay, and there have been cases of damage to the bridge structure.
    There are alternative routes available, via dual-carriageways and motorways.

Not sure why anybody would disagree, but I'd be interested to know more.

Yes, I was referring to HGV traffic (apologies for the mistake).

Both this bridge, and the bridge in Celbridge are not suited to, nor capable of handling large trucks, etc.
    They often cause a backlog or delay, and there have been cases of damage to the bridge structure.
    There are alternative routes available, via dual-carriageways and motorways.

Not sure why anybody would disagree, but I'd be interested to know more.

I would agree with that.. certainly for the bridge on main st, no need for HGVs to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mullyboyee

One bonus of these new lights is the chance for people using the pedestrian entrance to the train station to actually be able to cross the road now without having to wait ages for a constant stream of traffic to pass in the evenings. :)

mullyboyee wrote: »
    One bonus of these new lights is the chance for people using the pedestrian entrance to the train station to actually be able to cross the road now without having to wait ages for a constant stream of traffic to pass in the evenings. :)

i always thought it starnge there was not at least a zebra crossing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Had tailbacks to the roundabout this morning, the closer I got I could see the lights were on red for an excessive amount of time with no traffic crossing over which got me thinking, and when I crossed over I saw the cause. Some lad has his van parked on the stop line of the traffic light on the northeast side (the pub side) coming off the canal.

With the lights being camera controlled, the camera is looking at the van as if it's traffic and giving it a green light every cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Numina wrote: »
    Had tailbacks to the roundabout this morning, the closer I got I could see the lights were on red for an excessive amount of time with no traffic crossing over which got me thinking, and when I crossed over I saw the cause. Some lad has his van parked on the stop line of the traffic light on the northeast side (the pub side) coming off the canal.

With the lights being camera controlled, the camera is looking at the van as if it's traffic and giving it a green light every cycle.

Never copped that and was wondering why the lights were nearly always red no matter what direction I came from. Even saw them changing to red from a few hundred metres away and no traffic coming over, then going green again for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Del2005 wrote: »
    Even saw them changing to red from a few hundred metres away and no traffic coming over, then going green again for me.

The lights may revert to showing red on both approaches when there is no traffic detected. That would explain why you see it go red but change when you approach. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

I just submitted a compliant to South Dublin COCO, the traffic was way back at 7:40am this morning. They just need to get this right as its causing a lot of headaches for people.

we made a complaint again today

Traffic was back to outskirts of celbridge. a 7 minute trip to station took 20 minutes

I can only imagine how those who were going on to corss at Hazelhatch felt!

response is that an engineer will visit to look at sequencing!

Riskymove wrote: »
    we made a complaint again today

Traffic was back to outskirts of celbridge. a 7 minute trip to station took 20 minutes

I can only imagine how those who were going on to corss at Hazelhatch felt!

response is that an engineer will visit to look at sequencing!

Traffic for the entire village was terrible today. Traffic to the N4 was backed up to main st at 8.15. I assume due to torrential rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Tbh yesterday the Newcastle road was nearly impassable.

I use that road every day at 07 20 and back at 1700 and the lights work pretty well.

Advertisement