Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog knocked down. am I liable for car damage

Options
  • 13-02-2017 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi there. My dog somehow got out of his pen and was struck by a car. I wasn't home and the driver called into my wife and showed damage to car and said he would contact her with quote. She can't find the dog and hasn't seen him since the driver informed her. I wont be home till tonight to look for the poor thing. Where do I stand. Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi there. My dog somehow got out of his pen and was struck by a car. I wasn't home and the driver called into my wife and showed damage to car and said he would contact her with quote. She can't find the dog and hasn't seen him since the driver informed her. I wont be home till tonight to look for the poor thing. Where do I stand. Tks

Liable for damage unfortunately.

Hopefully the dog isn't hurt bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

if you have house insurance it should cover the claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

KenjiOdo wrote: »
    Put in a counter claim... ;)

For what?

The driver is the one who has been wronged here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

How did he know where the dog lives if the dog can't be found? Is he a neighbour?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Put in a counter claim... ;)

For what? How is the driver at fault?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,718 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

He killed his pet (family member)... I'm sure the law protects farmers livestock might cover family pets too, but if you put in a claim for pedigree (if it was might negate the damage done to his car and they won't pursue)

Clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

He killed his pet (family member)... I'm sure the law protects farmers livestock might cover family pets too, but if you put in a claim for pedigree (if it was might negate the damage done to his car and they won't pursue)

Still not the drivers fault, the dog should of never of gotten out.

Sorry for the owner also

Aint how it works.

You are responsible for your livestock or pet.

Unfortunate it got out but that's life.

Op hope you find your pet by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Unfortunately your 100% liable for damage done by your dog. I have had that problem more than once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

KenjiOdo wrote:

All owners of animals are required to have them secure on their property. If the animal gets out and causes damage to the property of someone else the owner of the animal is responsible. What law protecting farmers livestock are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Still not the drivers fault, the dog should of never of gotten out.

Sorry for the owner also

He shouldn't of to be sure.

Think I got it mixed up... But if you hit a wild deer it is you at fault? Therefore if owners are reading this claim ignorance... :P

If you hit a wild animal its you or your insurance problem as you can't claim off them wild animals I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

KenjiOdo wrote:
    Think I got it mixed up... But if you hit a wild deer it is you at fault? Therefore if owners are reading this claim ignorance...

There is a difference between a wild deer and 'Fido' with a chip under his skin. All farm animals are tagged. Ignorance is no defence even attempted ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭underthetumb

He said dog ran into our garden. Anyways the father found him dead in ditch at back of house. Don't know how he got out cos it's a secure pen. No damage to it seemingly. Just looking for info lads. If I am liable that's fair enuf. Could do without the trash talk

The dog was loose, whether the owner knew or not they are still responsible.

He said dog ran into our garden. Anyways the father found him dead in ditch at back of house. Don't know how he got out cos it's a secure pen. No damage to it seemingly. Just looking for info lads. If I am liable that's fair enuf. Could do without the trash talk

Sad. Sorry for your loss. Honestly no jokes by the way.
    Unfortunate it happened as said before. Hopefully he didn't suffer and is in no pain now.

Sorry to hear that. It would also be up to the driver to prove it.

The "owner" did say it was a stray, who they fed time to time... If they did have the dog registered to them, there would be grounds for a claim against them it seems.. Dunno how you'd go about proving it was their dog sorry OP

I think you are confusing stories but in the case of the owner claiming its a stray i'd begin carrying the dog to my car to have a vet check its chip. When they see Fido being removed it will be fairly clear who the owner is.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

Sorry I was getting threads mixed up... reading other thread posted in this thread & posting in this one... oops! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

Do you have Nargc insurance by any chance as at a meeting one night they said it covers damage dogs do to the car if they get hit

http://nargc.ie/nargc-compensation-fund/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

That's terrible for the poor dog & your family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Well I hope you find your dog and hope he/she is okay.
    I would say that you as owner could be sued for negligence as the dog should have been in a secure area or pen as you mentioned.
    How did the dog break free or escape from the pen onto the road?
    Dog not on lead on road? Well I suggest you pay the damage to the injured parties car and hope your dog turns up okay and uninjured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭1ehkrjq6x2opfm

So sorry to hear you're in this situation. Hope you get your dog back. Did the driver even attempt to take him home or being your wife down to the area where the accident happened? I find it hard to believe that the driver managed to get close enough to your dog to get the address and couldn't have taken him back to your wife?

So sorry to hear you're in this situation. Hope you get your dog back. Did the driver even attempt to take him home or being your wife down to the area where the accident happened? I find it hard to believe that the driver managed to get close enough to your dog to get the address and couldn't have taken him back to your wife?
    Ran into their garden and dog is dead. Its on last page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭1ehkrjq6x2opfm

Really sorry for your loss. That's really terrible. As for the trolls - you just have to ignore them as it's a part of the online ecosystem unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

You`re liable for the damage to the car OP. That's the upshot of it. We`re all responsible for our pets/livestock, its a similar situation to if he got out and bit someone.
    It doesn't matter how he got out or any of the circumstances.
    Hopefully too much damage wasn't done to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭underthetumb

thanks for replies. will investigate pen when i get home. not lookin forward to it. kids are in bits and we only told them he was missin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

If your an NARGC member the damage done by the dog is covered. Dog claims is probably the highest claims we hear about them at the meetings.

Ring the Fund administrator and let him know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I don't think I be accepting liability for anyone's car just yet.

Any witnesses? Can he prove it? If not then good luck.

If it's that easy could I jump in my car full of dents crash it into a wall and then Bury the next dog that I see on the road then knock in to someone and say here I hit your dog fix my car please.

Sorry about your dog.

Advertisement