Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone offer me some help?

Options
  • 13-02-2017 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone. Long time lurker here. I was hoping someone on here could offer me a small token of positivity.

I've been teaching English in London for the past 3 years from Year 7 to GCSE exam level but i'm looking at moving back home to Cork now. I know in my heart that the prospects of landing any type of permanent job in secondary education is slim but I desperately need some luck...or positivity...or something. What was supposed to have been one of the best weekends of my life has slowly disintegrated into the worst. I'm quite low at the moment and I just need to get out of here and go home.

I haven't registered with the Teaching Council yet. Could anyone tell me how long I should be looking at waiting to be registered once they receive my documents?

Thank you to those of you who may respond.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Sorry to hear that things are so bad. I can't offer much in the way of platitudes as I am not based in Cork and I am primary rather than secondary. Never mind permanency, it is getting the foot in the door for any decent number of hours that you will need, and anyone who tells you that it is easy to do that would not have your best interests in mind. You are not the first and you won't be the last to face into this - and hundreds have gotten through it before unscathed (relatively....)
    A lot of it is luck so I wish you lots of that!
    My experience with the Teaching Council is that they are quite quick but Garda vetting can slow things down.
    Do you have a second subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Henno232

Thank you for your reply Redser. Sadly enough, I broke down once posting this thread with the realisation that I've finally admitted to myself how bad things are for me at the moment.

Yeah, i'm not surprised that things are so bleak at the moment. Unfortunately that's the lay of the land back home. Thank you for the wishes of luck, they'll be needed.

Yeah, I've the generic combination of English and History. However, I've been a Head of House for the last two years, while also being a mentor for a trainee teacher so i'm hoping that these might help in getting a foot in the door somewhere,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Join the tui and send your CV to every voluntary school with a cover letter saying you are excited to teach the new junior cycle English and history.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

That could put a principal in a school that is very much against the new junior cycle off you so avoid any heavy statements at this stage. English abd history are not generic and good teachers are in demand.
    Also you wont be let inside the gate without TC reg and Garda vetting disclosure (not just Garda vetting). Best to get that sorted ASAP.
    Keep an eye on various websites or try international schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Your mental health is worth way more than any job, so don't let that one job in that one school define you as a person (or any one series of events that are taking place outside of it).
    Is there any way you could put your UK job temporarily on hold (leave of absence!) while you take time to scout around in Cork? Nothing wrong with crashing with relatives for a while.
    I was talking to a teacher last year who applied for an Irish job whilst in the UK and got it !, so maybe it's not a case of quitting straightaway.

Dunno if it helps but I heard there are a few new schools opening around cork!
    Check ETB websites for vacancies aswell.

EDIT: Have you considered looking at different countries other than Ireland. UAE for a year or two, at least you'll have gotten some money together to sweat it out back in Cork while you do the footwork/subwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Have no advice on how to progress career wise but just want to send you good wishes and mind yourself.

Advertisement