Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things in Limerick

• 13-02-2017 6:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

I'm heading there Weds with a mate who has to go for work till Sat. Just really being company but while they're at work I'll be at a loose end. We're going on the train so no car. Any ideas for entertainment or for nice restaurant? Staying in city centre.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

amtc wrote: »
    I'm heading there Weds with a mate who has to go for work till Sat. Just really being company but while they're at work I'll be at a loose end. We're going on the train so no car. Any ideas for entertainment or for nice restaurant? Staying in city centre.

Locke bar is fab bar for lunch and drinks on the abbey river and so is the Texas Steak and chocolat restaurant both in O Connell Street would be a good recommendation out if you want a nice restaurant. Dolans can be a good venue depending on the nite for differnt music tastes

Arthurs quay park, King Johns Castle and the treaty stone are all within a few mins walk of the city center so I would recommend seeing them all...

Hope you enjoy your stay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I'd be trying freddies bistro for a meal aswell. Nice small location but the food is fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

steveon wrote: »
    Locke bar is fab bar for lunch and drinks on the abbey river and so is the Texas Steak and chocolat restaurant both in O Connell Street would be a good recommendation out if you want a nice restaurant. Dolans can be a good venue depending on the nite for differnt music tastes

Arthurs quay park, King Johns Castle and the treaty stone are all within a few mins walk of the city center so I would recommend seeing them all...

Ah jeez is Arthurs Quay 'Park' and Texas Steak House really the best Limerick has to offer :eek:

I'd recommend checking out The Hunt Museum. They also do Limerick walking tours from the Hunt Museum that are very interesting and great value. Also, would be nice to head up to Cafe zest at The People's park as that is attached to Limerick city gallery.

For dinner you should check out The Curraghower bar. It does delicious food and has a beautiful view of the river and king Johns Castle

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

Lots of good pubs/ Cafes /resturants in around the city centre...Live music most night in Dolan's on the Dock Road, Curragower near the Treaty stone has nice pub grub..
    Nice boardwalk along the river on both sides..
    Visiting UL campus is worthwhile too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Thanks for all recommendations. Does that place Freddys ever answer the phone?! No online booking.

Maybe ignorant of me but thought I'd get my hair done....just standard Peter Mark but more expensive than my Dublin one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Also should check out the Chicken Hut, their gravy is world renowned :)

Maybe ignorant of me but thought I'd get my hair done....just standard Peter Mark but more expensive than my Dublin one!

Are you female? If so, yeah Limerick Hairdressers charge outrageously high prices. It's not so bad in the county but the city prices are ridiculous.

Though the wise men on here informed me a few weeks ago that men pay much more for haircuts than women do :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

Thanks for all recommendations. Does that place Freddys ever answer the phone?! No online booking.

I'd say Freddy's is well booked out, the day after valentines, but maybe not. They will definitely be booked out today, probably why they ain't answering, people trying to get bookings all day I'd say.

With regards stuff to do!

Chill Irishy Atmosphere Pubs with great food
    Locke Bar (across from Hunt bridge, but basically in town)
    Curragower (Across the other side of city bridge, not great if walking because it's a cold walk)

Wine Bars
    Copper Room (Highly recommend)
    The Nook
    Chez Le Fab (Arthur's Quay Park)

Get Active
    Rollerjam, €12 to drop in roller disco, they give skates
    Climbing Wall in UL or Town (see deals below)
    Kayaking (if you're feeling brave in this cold)

Live Music
    Dolans (Book launch in the Kasbah or live trad music in the main bar)
    Cobble Stone Joes (Good Pizza & always live music)

Restaurants
    Freddys (may be booked out)
    Wouldn't recommend TEXAS Steak myself.
    Also wouldn't recommend MARCO Polo (but cheap and nice decor)
    Cornstore (highly recommend)
    Coqbull (Really nice chicken and burgers & chips and cocktails, but good ones)

Pamper
    No1 Perry Square
    Absolut Hotel Spa
    Castletroy Park (see deals)

Deals
    Rock Climbing

Hair Cut

Castletroy Park Hotel

I've actually done that pamper package for €69 in the Castletroy park, it's an amazing offer and would highly recommend!

Everything in that list is pretty affordable too! Also plenty of more affordable places to get the hair done! Petermarks is strangely expensive here.

Thank you. I got a booking in Freddys for Thursday

Yes I am female. I just wanted a blow dry. For some reason thought would be cheaper!

Thanks for all suggestions! My mate will be working so don't really want activities to do on my own. Will wander round and Ireland am had some nice boutique stuff on this morning. In retrospect I should have insisted on bringing car! Mate messed up booking train so only get in dead late.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Lots of cheaper hairdressers about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Any ideas for entertainment ...

Always nice to have a pint at Nancy Blake's.

Well just on way back. Thanks to all for suggestions. Did a couple of them. We got there dead late and my friend proved can't read a map. We were slightly tired and emotional which didn't help! So we wandered round in circles and explored Limerick in the dark at 11.30 to find our hotel. Eventually got taxi all of 230metre.

Anyway next morning meeting was cancelled as organiser ill. So recovered from hangovers. I booked Freddys and it was lovely. Excellent food and service. It was unusual to see a restaurant with a door bell and security lock though.

Went to King John'S Castle Friday and wandered round shopping. Amazed how busy it was. Chipped my nails so went into Boots for Polish...it was massive! Tons of high end jewellers. Another nice meal in a heated courtyard.

Hotel wasn't great but it had beds and was clean. But it was cheap. The main thing I found was everything was above Dublin prices. Bar the book stall in the train station. By the way how does one train station sustain two coffee places?

Anyway thanks to all for suggestions. In the end my mate only had to do about an hour's work onsite so we did a lot of wandering. Kind of like a mini break! It was fun.

Going to be a regular thing so if going again will book better hotel and I will do directions. It was only on way to train back that we both realised we could've used Google maps!

Well just on way back. Thanks to all for suggestions. Did a couple of them. We got there dead late and my friend proved can't read a map. We were slightly tired and emotional which didn't help! So we wandered round in circles and explored Limerick in the dark at 11.30 to find our hotel. Eventually got taxi all of 230metre.

Anyway next morning meeting was cancelled as organiser ill. So recovered from hangovers. I booked Freddys and it was lovely. Excellent food and service. It was unusual to see a restaurant with a door bell and security lock though.

Went to King John'S Castle Friday and wandered round shopping. Amazed how busy it was. Chipped my nails so went into Boots for Polish...it was massive! Tons of high end jewellers. Another nice meal in a heated courtyard.

Hotel wasn't great but it had beds and was clean. But it was cheap. The main thing I found was everything was above Dublin prices. Bar the book stall in the train station. By the way how does one train station sustain two coffee places?

Anyway thanks to all for suggestions. In the end my mate only had to do about an hour's work onsite so we did a lot of wandering. Kind of like a mini break! It was fun.

Going to be a regular thing so if going again will book better hotel and I will do directions. It was only on way to train back that we both realised we could've used Google maps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Did you visit the treaty stone? It's great. It's a big rock on top of a rock plinth. You can get your photo taken with it and all. Great entertainment for all the family, it's our number 1 tourist attraction and surely up there with the likes of the Sphinx or the The Great Wall of China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Did you visit the treaty stone? It's great. It's a big rock on top of a rock plinth. You can get your photo taken with it and all. Great entertainment for all the family, it's our number 1 tourist attraction and surely up there with the likes of the Sphinx or the The Great Wall of China.

I guess, what you take from The Treaty Stone really depends on what you bring to it!!!

No, but next time. Thanks.

My friend has a masters in geography and hadn't a clue from left and right. Next time I'm doing booking and directions and driving!

I lived in Adare for a few months when I was 7 so want to go and see it.

Just to reiterate food everywhere was amazing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

What did ye find above dublin prices?

Food...6 euro for a toasted sandwich in Spar. 3.50 in spar herem Alcohol. 6 euro for a glass of wine. Even cheapie earrings and tights in Penneys dearer. I eat out a lot in nice restaurants and I don't mind paying for it. But I can get a very nice two course with wine in Dublin for 100. 175...mind you nicer wine. Plus I had my eye on a dress in Carraig Donn which was 154 euro and got it today in Jervis for half price!

Back off to Limerick for my birthday next month. I saw a deal in the Savoy for 79 euro. Is this good?

amtc wrote:
    Back off to Limerick for my birthday next month. I saw a deal in the Savoy for 79 euro. Is this good?

Yes. Savoy is a lovely hotel. One of the best in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Savoy is a lovely hotel. That's a great price.

Great. Booked last night. My friend still raving about Freddys so will book again. This time I'm driving though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Give the cornstore a try. Not as good as freddies but was very good the last time I was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

What hotel did you originally stay in?, The Savoy is nice, think free parking or reduced anyway for guests in multi storey across the street at Dunnes

House is nice for food & drinks & 2 minutes away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭goochy

I hope the Savoy has been done up. Stayed there about 3 yes ago room was a bit shabby. Prefer strand hotel also strands leisure centre is amazing

Advertisement