Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Providing cover from S & S for TUI colleague in ASTI dominated school?

Options
  • 13-02-2017 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

There are Cluster meeting happening around the country at present where Teachers are meeting in subject groups regarding the New Junior Cert.Can anyone tell me who is providing cover in the predominantly ASTI union schools where there are one or two TUI members.
    Obviously the TUI member has a right to attend the meetings BUT surely it does not make sense if the ASTI teacher is plucked from the S & S rota to cover classes for this teacher!!!!! seeing that the ASTI has told its members not to co-operate with the New JC.
    If an ASTI teacher does this cover are they breaking their Union directive?

Your advice would be welcome.Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

My understanding is that ASTI members are not allowed to attend inservice for the new JC or to assess students. That doesn't cover S&S for a colleague whatever the reason for their absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

ethical wrote: »
    There are Cluster meeting happening around the country at present where Teachers are meeting in subject groups regarding the New Junior Cert.Can anyone tell me who is providing cover in the predominantly ASTI union schools where there are one or two TUI members.
    Obviously the TUI member has a right to attend the meetings BUT surely it does not make sense if the ASTI teacher is plucked from the S & S rota to cover classes for this teacher!!!!! seeing that the ASTI has told its members not to co-operate with the New JC.
    If an ASTI teacher does this cover are they breaking their Union directive?

Your advice would be welcome.Thanks in advance.

Any classes of teachers attending CPD should be covered by paid substitution. I also thought that the cluster CPD was only for teachers where the whole school was closed for teachers to attend CPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Ran the above query by H.O.of ASTI and to my dismay the Officer there told me that YES I have to cover for TUI colleagues who are at New JC CPD!
    This is farcical as far as I'm concerned.We are either in the New JC,or we are out.I do not see the point of one directive being issued stating that we ,ASTI members, must not facilitate,cooperate with the new JC and then tell us on the other hand that we must cover our TUI colleagues classes!!! Are we going to get left further behind in knowledge as well as financially.I'm disgusted by the response I got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Purely from the point of view of correct use of the S&S scheme, you shouldn't be covering an absence with paid substitution for S&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

Unless the school weren't able to source a paid substitute?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

I agree with Ethical. We are either supporting new JC or we are not. Yes, it is farcical if we have to do S and S for TUI colleagues at inservice, etc. If we do S and S, for this reason, we are indirectly supporting the new JC, which is completely contrary to our policy on same. ASTI HO should NOT have given this advice. Wonder why and how this happened, perhaps it was a genuine error on the part of the person in ASTI who took the call, someone who really did not seek advice from a higher source from within the union. This really makes us look like gobshxxxits. Not one bit happy about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

doc_17 wrote: »
    Unless the school weren't able to source a paid substitute?

Maybe just pay the ASTI colleague doing the substitution .... for a change :(

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Not at all pleased at being forced to do S & S for a Tui colleague to progress their career! ASTI Hq. have not got a clue.Like everything else DIRECTIVE when it suits,Directive my A**e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Jamfa wrote: »
    Any classes of teachers attending CPD should be covered by paid substitution. I also thought that the cluster CPD was only for teachers where the whole school was closed for teachers to attend CPD.

, if you 'have to' do it then you 'have to' be paid.
    What would it cost the school not to be signing off and claiming for what they are allowed? ...unless of course they are putting you to do it for free and claiming the sub money elsewhere! But that would never happen in Ireland:pac:
    If the union is 'hands off' then there's no problem with you claiming what's rightfully yours. Find the circular about paid-substitution and bring it to the attention of your seniors.

Advertisement